Author Topic: I Would Have Used This If I Had Gotten a Word in Edgewise  (Read 7178 times)

BeagleMommy

I Would Have Used This If I Had Gotten a Word in Edgewise
« on: May 28, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
Yesterday, DH and I went to our local mall to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales.  When we were leaving, we stopped in a major department store for a moment because we had forgotten which entrance we came in.  A salesclerk came up to us and the following conversation happened:

Clerk:  Can I help you find something?
Me:  Oh, no thank you.  We're just trying to remember which door we came in.
(At this point she places her palm on DH's shoulder)

Clerk:  Well, I just want to make sure I thank you for your service to our country on Memorial Day.
DH:  Um, thanks, but I never served in the military.
Clerk:  Oh, it doesn't matter.  Everyone serves somehow whether it is in the military or at home or (now she is prattling on and on about how everyone serves)

Me & DH:   :o
Me:  Okay, I think we came in this way.  Let's go DH.
DH:  That was weird.

I have had a grandfather and two uncles and DH's father, who served in the military and I would never dream of thanking anyone for their service unless I was sure they had been in the military.  I felt like she was thanking DH for simply living his life.  Also, what if I had been the military member?

DH thought maybe the department store was making them say something, but not one other salesclerk did this.

This was the strangest Memorial Day I've ever had.

AnnaJane

Re: I Would Have Used This If I Had Gotten a Word in Edgewise
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:17:41 AM »
That is bizarre. The only thing I can think of is that she had some reason for thinking your DH served in the military, perhaps she made the assumption based on his appearance? And then when it turned out to not be true, she had to think of something quickly, and that's all she could come up with.

Christine123

• DressFirst
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:15:12 PM »
eh......
DH thought maybe the department store was making them say something, but not one other salesclerk did this.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 12:31:11 AM »
Does your DH have a short haircut?  Or was he carrying concealed and she noticed somehow?  I'm guessing like AnnaJane that she for some reason thought he was military, and then when she learned otherwise, she started backpedaling and that's why the weird comments about serving at home, etc.

My husband can often tell other military guys and is often outed himself because of the haircut, but other men might similarly have short hair.  Another possibility is that she thought she overheard something, but misheard, or that she thought she recognized him but was wrong.  Either way, I think the weird remarks at the end were her stumbling around because she'd been wrong.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 03:38:21 PM »
Does your DH have a short haircut?  Or was he carrying concealed and she noticed somehow?  I'm guessing like AnnaJane that she for some reason thought he was military, and then when she learned otherwise, she started backpedaling and that's why the weird comments about serving at home, etc.

My husband can often tell other military guys and is often outed himself because of the haircut, but other men might similarly have short hair.  Another possibility is that she thought she overheard something, but misheard, or that she thought she recognized him but was wrong.  Either way, I think the weird remarks at the end were her stumbling around because she'd been wrong.

Nope.  DH has what I call Clark Kent hair.  Dark (although it is more salt & pepper now), thick and unruly.  He was wearing shorts and a T-shirt.  There would have been no way for her to know if he had or hadn't been in the military.

lowspark

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »
I'm late to this thread but I often think that we try too hard to attribute logic to what people say or do. Seems to me this lady was just clueless and saying senseless stuff. It happens. I'd have just chalked this one up to "don't engage the crazy" and walked away.