Author Topic: The Busy Body Aunt (Quick Update Page 1)  (Read 7742 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

The Busy Body Aunt (Quick Update Page 1)
« on: December 24, 2013, 02:46:33 PM »
 I moved over the summer and sent out change of address cards to the entire family.  I hadn't advertised
 my move to my extended family; quite frankly I didn't think it was that big a deal.  My parents and sibling's family were aware of it as were my friends and employer. 

One aunt immediately emailed me when she got the change of address.  Why had I moved?  I wrote a short note back saying that I was interested in relocating and X state sounded great.  My parents had also retired to the state.  Not good enough.  I was getting emails and Facebook postings on my wall and IMs from her daily.  So, I deleted her emails and unfriended her on Facebook.

Then, in November, a company with whom I had interviewed months before called me with an amazing offer.  They are in a city close to my parents.  I broke my lease and headed to my parents house for a couple of months.  I didn't advertise this -- most 41 year olds don't want to advertise that they live in their parents guest room.  Besides, I'll be house hunting closer to work in the spring.  So, out go the Christmas cards.  I have a ton of the temporary apartment address labels, so I use those.  Mail forwarding is set up, after all.  Most of my cards are forwarding.  No problem, right!

Somehow, Assumptive Aunt found out I was living with my folks.  She sends the card to their house (no problem at this point) with a lengthy note about how bad the economy is, that I shouldn't have quit my job back home and that she hopes I don't have to live off my parent's too long. 

I am still scratching my head.  It's fine that she sent my card to my parents, but a bit odd.  Yes, the economy is not the best.  Still fine.  Why would she assume that I was unemployed?  I'm still on FB with two of her kids and have commented on an office pot-luck, new carpet in my office, and a power outage that caused my boss to plug in his generator so we could have email (but not lights or heat). 

I tossed her card.  My sister and mother are still laughing at my 'favorite aunt'. 

I think I'm not going to engage the crazy.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:33:06 PM by Morty'sCleaningLady »
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Brisvegasgal

Re: The Busy Body Aunt
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
Yup. Don't engage the crazy.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:05:29 PM »
Why does it matter if someone moves? I mean in less your on the run from the law, but I'd doubt very much you'd be sending out change of address cards if you were on the lamb. If you would well you might want to re-thinking being a fugitive as I don't believe you'd be very good at it.

Otherwise, you're a grown up, if you wanna quit your job and move half way around the world that's really only your business.

Yes, I'd leave the crazy be. Though I'd be tempted to write back "Yes, Aunt, with the economy the way it is I'm getting very concerned, we're running low on food here, we might have to eat the cat. Can I come live with you?", but...I'm evil.

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
For the record, not on the run from the law.  Simply tired of the cold!

I'm definitely not engaging, because, seriously - who needs the drama?  Assumptive Aunt should really focus on her own family and their issues, wouldn't you think?
Formerly Mrs.Bart

veronaz

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 07:24:08 PM »
Yup. Don't engage the crazy.

This, this, this.

Library Dragon

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:37:13 AM »
Why does it matter if someone moves? I mean in less your on the run from the law, but I'd doubt very much you'd be sending out change of address cards if you were on the lamb. If you would well you might want to re-thinking being a fugitive as I don't believe you'd be very good at it.

Otherwise, you're a grown up, if you wanna quit your job and move half way around the world that's really only your business.

Yes, I'd leave the crazy be. Though I'd be tempted to write back "Yes, Aunt, with the economy the way it is I'm getting very concerned, we're running low on food here, we might have to eat the cat. Can I come live with you?", but...I'm evil.

Glitter, my iPad now has egg nog on it. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Julsie

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 01:12:47 PM »

I knew without you saying anything that you had gone south.  This envious Michigander wishes you all the best!

kckgirl

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »

I'm definitely not engaging, because, seriously - who needs the drama?  Assumptive Aunt should really focus on her own family and their issues, wouldn't you think?

Personally, I would send a reply, just something simple like I moved here to take an amazing job offer, am looking for the right home near work after moving from cold state, and moving sometime in the spring. Happy new year. Blah, blah, blah.
Maryland

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
Quick Update

Last night, my parents had to share a Busy Body Aunt update.  In spite of my parents not getting email from Aunt and Uncle in months, yesterday, my parents got a two line email from them.  It included the temperature at our Southern Town (9 degrees) and Busy Body'sTown.  However, they claimed it was 50 degrees at Busy Body's Town - my sister lives about 100 miles away and was at 26 degrees.  My Dad checked their zip code on the Weather Channel and it was 24 degrees in their town.

Since we are already at 40 degrees and will be in the 60s by Saturday, I'm sure we won't hear from Busy Body Aunt (and Uncle) until we have a heat wave.

( and for kckgirl - I did send a change of address card and 1 email reply to the first inquiry - the daily deluge for a week was not responded to)
Formerly Mrs.Bart

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
Re: The Busy Body Aunt (Quick Update Page 1)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:20 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out how any of this is BusyBodyAunt's business.  Sheesh!

I agree with everyone who said just not to engage her.  Good luck in your house hunting and with your new job!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

AnaMaria

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »

Personally, I would send a reply, just something simple like I moved here to take an amazing job offer, am looking for the right home near work after moving from cold state, and moving sometime in the spring. Happy new year. Blah, blah, blah.
[/quote]

If this aunt were a close friend or were just making a casual inquiry, sure.  But it sounds like in this case, the OP would send that note and then get Aunt demanding to know why she took a new job, why she hasn't found a house yet, blah blah blah.  You can't quench craziness.

I feel the OP's frustration here- I lived with my parents for a while after finishing my bachelor's and got all kinds of "concerned inquiries" about why I was living with them, and received lectures on why I needed to move out.  Why people become so consumed with others' private business is a mystery to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 04:36:50 PM by AnaMaria »

heartmug

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
Quick Update

Last night, my parents had to share a Busy Body Aunt update.  In spite of my parents not getting email from Aunt and Uncle in months, yesterday, my parents got a two line email from them.  It included the temperature at our Southern Town (9 degrees) and Busy Body'sTown.  However, they claimed it was 50 degrees at Busy Body's Town - my sister lives about 100 miles away and was at 26 degrees.  My Dad checked their zip code on the Weather Channel and it was 24 degrees in their town.

Since we are already at 40 degrees and will be in the 60s by Saturday, I'm sure we won't hear from Busy Body Aunt (and Uncle) until we have a heat wave.

( and for kckgirl - I did send a change of address card and 1 email reply to the first inquiry - the daily deluge for a week was not responded to)

LOL!  My ILs do that.  If they want more attention from my DH/their son they lie about something.  Usually the weather.  "We are freezing!"  Doesn't matter how many times DH tells them he can look this stuff up on line.   They don't own a computer.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

English1

Re: The Busy Body Aunt (Quick Update Page 1)
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 04:29:29 AM »
sounds like Auntie has a nasty case of the jealousies about you all being able to move to that area.