Author Topic: OK to Wear Black?  (Read 4060 times)

Roses

OK to Wear Black?
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:02:39 PM »
I will be attending an afternoon church wedding in two weeks. Reception immediately following at the church.  Would it be OK to wear a black dress to the wedding?  I've seen mixed reviews on the rules about wearing black. 

Apologies if this topic has been covered, I couldn't find prior posts so feel free to point me to one if you know it exists.

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: OK to Wear Black?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
I think black is fine as long as it looks "fancy," for example, the classic little black dress that you might wear on a date.  If the dress is a bit more serious, jazz it up with accessories like colorful jewelry or scarf.  One of the best investments I made was a little red lacy jacket that I wore over black dresses to several weddings.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »
I think as a whole black is an accepted color to wear in this day and age.  You will probably be fine.  I would call the bride or coordinator to double check.  The last time I wore black to a wedding was many years ago, and I asked the bride in advance just to be sure. 

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:30:16 PM »
I think it's fine as long as it look celebratory and not somber. If it looks somber, wear a bright colored accessory of some kind like rose red suggested.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:22:26 PM »
It's fine and as others have said accessories will make a big difference. They will take it from somber to festive.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

metallicafan

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:17:33 AM »
Pretty much every wedding I've gone to in the last ten years, the majority of the women wore black dresses.  I myself have worn black dresses quite a few times, and I never have felt that I stood out for the wrong reasons.  Rarely have I seen anyone in a bright colored dress.

Edited to add:

Coming up in 2014, I have two weddings and the 100th anniversary of my FILs Italian society dinner dance.  I'm sure I will see a ton of black dresses. But, I will be going for color this time,  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:16:01 PM by metallicafan »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 07:26:20 AM »
Dressy black with a bright accent is almost the default color for women at weddings here.

You're fine as long as you don't resemble a traditional Mediterranean widow. 

Julsie

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:59 PM »
I'm the lone hold out who does not feel that black dresses at weddings are appropriate.  But if I was the bride and someone called to ask me, I would not be honest.  That would put me in an awkward position with which I would not be comfortable.

But I would happily adapt to black dresses at weddings if people would go back to wearing them to funerals!

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
This is an honest question - why would black be an inappropriate colour to wear at a wedding? Surely the colour doesn't matter (although I totally understand not wearing white!) but the style does?

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 05:21:19 PM »
This is an honest question - why would black be an inappropriate colour to wear at a wedding? Surely the colour doesn't matter (although I totally understand not wearing white!) but the style does?

Because traditionally, black is the color of mourning. It's only very recently that it's become acceptable to wear it otherwise. Personally, I'm not a fan of black at weddings, unless one puts effort into making it appear festive.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

menley

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
In my experience, the little black dress has been a cocktail party staple as long as I can remember, and no one would mistake it for a mourning outfit. Yes, black was traditionally the color for mourning, but the style of clothes worn to a funeral and for a mourning period is markedly different from the style of dress worn to a wedding.

I'm biased, of course - my bridesmaids and house party all wore black and absolutely no one, even my husband's very conservative and traditional grandfather, thought of funerals when they walked in!

purple

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 07:47:07 PM »
I also think that a black cocktail length dress would be appropriate for a wedding.

Just check that the wedding theme is not 'black and white', which seems to be quite popular these days.  You can probably tell from the invitation - if it has another colour than black and white, you're in the clear I'd say.

Having said that, I actually wore two dresses at my own wedding and the reception dress was a long black evening gown, with white lace, crystal beading and a short white veil.  Quite a few of my guests wore black dresses to my reception also and I didn't mind one little bit.  I'm sure they never expected me to be wearing black - just the way things turned out.  :)

metallicafan

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 09:59:09 PM »
One of the two weddings I will be attending next year, my SIL will be the matron of honor, and the bridesmaid dresses are black.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 12:55:58 AM »
I'm the lone hold out who does not feel that black dresses at weddings are appropriate.  But if I was the bride and someone called to ask me, I would not be honest.  That would put me in an awkward position with which I would not be comfortable.

But I would happily adapt to black dresses at weddings if people would go back to wearing them to funerals!

I personally wouldn't wear black or red to a wedding. If that was literally the only dress I had to wear, I'd be sure to top it with a colorful wrap or cardigan. However, if I saw somebody else in a black dress I wouldn't judge: everybody has their own standards.

sweetonsno

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:11:34 AM »
This is my take from an American perspective (one that was shaped rather heavily by my British gran).

I think the main relationship between black and mourning is that black is a more solemn and conservative choice than colors. It is also used as a neutral. I think that as long as it is clear that the style is celebratory and you've picked something that is appropriate for the formality of the event and venue, I think black is fine. However, as is the case with other more neutral colors (anything in the brown or gray family also belongs here), I think it's important to accessorize to avoid looking too corporate.