Author Topic: Gifts from children  (Read 1284 times)

Cricket

Gifts from children
« on: December 24, 2013, 08:55:57 PM »
Happy holidays to all!!!

My gorgeous, thoughtful boy (10) bought me a Christmas present way back in October! I'm surprised that he kept it a secret for so long - he's usually busting to tell us when he get us something from the Mother/Father day stall at school. So, my present that he chose with no help or guidance from anybody and with his own money ...

is an owl figurine. How sweet! I love owls. He chose well. I can just picture it sitting on the shelf above my desk.

is an owl figurine with a solar panel in it's head.  ??? O-k-a-y.

is an owl figurine with a solar panel in it's head and when it gets dark its eyes emit bright lights.  :o Could be a little scary - I'm imagining  the glowing red eyed demon from the Amityville Horror for some reason.

I kinda can't wait to see it tonight. I forsee a few night frights until I get used to it (or the novelty wears off for my son and I turn off the eyes, lol)

What wonderful/weird/what-the-heck-is-that gifts have you received from kids?

blackthumb

Re: Gifts from children
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
My (at the time) future step son got me a pair of Santa socks for my birthday. He was 8 at the time and likely bought them on super mega clearance after Christmas.  After several years my toe poked through and the heels are threadbare but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I've had them for 15 years.
Both he and the Santa socks are very special to me.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:06:21 PM »
My (at the time) future step son got me a pair of Santa socks for my birthday. He was 8 at the time and likely bought them on super mega clearance after Christmas.  After several years my toe poked through and the heels are threadbare but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I've had them for 15 years.
Old socks make good dishrags, if you cut them up lengthwise. :)

Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
This year DD gave DH a big bag of sour gummy worms  8) He is very pleased.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 04:45:41 PM »

Also, if you are crafty at all, old socks with their holes darned up a bit make awesome coin purses. Turn it inside out then "turn down" the edges.  With matching eboiderythread catch both layers and sew around. (So you have a shorter, double layered sock.) Sew in a small zipper and have a bit of Christmas everytime you buy a soda/pay a toll/need exact change.

blackthumb

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »

I LOVE the coin purse idea. I'm not crafty at all but I have a dear friend that would help me out. 
Those socks have been sitting on top of my dryer for a couple of years just waiting for me to be ready to get rid of.  Now I don't have to!!!!

Also, if you are crafty at all, old socks with their holes darned up a bit make awesome coin purses. Turn it inside out then "turn down" the edges.  With matching eboiderythread catch both layers and sew around. (So you have a shorter, double layered sock.) Sew in a small zipper and have a bit of Christmas everytime you buy a soda/pay a toll/need exact change.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 08:47:23 PM »
That the boys chose themselves? Clip on earrings (mine are pierced) but in their defense they got these from the church's little shop that is open during our St. Nicholas Day Festival and most of the stuff is donated.  And the thing they really wanted to get me was taken before they could buy it.

But DH also bought a present for them to give me which was a little Vanellope Von Sweets doll.  I do think she's rather cute so that was fun. :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »
I got an owl, too.  :)   Well, an owl Christmas ornament, all white feathers and big glass eyes.  My grandkids give me a bird ornament of some sort every year. 
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:21:37 PM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Library Dragon

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
DS1 gave me a dark chocolate Toblerone. (His restaurant cut back on staff, 5 people let go, so he's trying to get out of cooking.)

DS2 gave me a heart shaped amber pendant.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 11:30:29 AM »
My now 15 year old great granddaughter was about 12 she made a small quilt for me.  I love it and have it displayed in my bedroom, draped on the dowel that spans the width of her great great grandmother's (my mom's) old oak commode.  I think the dowel was for hanging towels because the washbowl and pitcher would have been on the surface of the commode.     
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

metallicafan

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
I LOVE ornaments so my boys got me an ornament,  and a precious moments Snowman figurine.

betty

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »
A few years ago, my son (then around 12) gave me a lovely ornament/wall decoration. It says "My Mother is two places at once: On my nerves and in my heart."  ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 12:22:59 PM »
Loren made everyone a piece of art with a note. Except her brother Brett she got hold of a pint mason jar and filled it with his favorite candy for their 15 hour trip to Taos with their Grandmother, Aunt, and Uncle.

The unspoken part of the gift is while the 3 adults will indulge the kids in many ways (example uncle bought 2 DVD players that hang on the back of the front seat for the kids to watch on the trip - very nice ones, they insist on paying for the ski pass, and skis.), but they do NOT eat candy or desserts and they don't buy them.

Sis got a GC for a massage for the kids to give to me. Loren apparently asked a couple of times if she was sure it was ok for my skin. (She knows I'm not allowed to get mani/pedi's due to my skin condition.) Massages are fine.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 10:17:24 AM »
when ds was about 8 he bought me the cheapest tackiest looking "fake wood" looking jewelry box. (I don't remember if it was for birthday or mother's day). the following year he bought another one "cause you loved the first one so much". i lost one of them but still use the other one.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
One of my cousins in not much younger then me (6 years, maybe?), and when she was 8 or so, she was into sewing/crafty things, and made me a pink felt heart that she embroidered my first name on, and made it fancy. It's been close to 40 years or so, and it has hung on my tree every year, and it one of my most prized possessions. :)
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10