Author Topic: Need help figuring out title of book  (Read 827 times)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Need help figuring out title of book
« on: December 25, 2013, 02:49:41 AM »
I have been trying to remember the title of a book I read years ago, would like to read it again if I can, so I thought I would turn to my EHell family to help me out.

All I remember about the plot was all the adults had died and the kids were left to run things. Maybe it was a dream I had years ago, or maybe I did read a book that involved that, but if anyone can help out, it would be greatly appreciated, the title and author.

Thanks so much, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

KB

Re: Need help figuring out title of book
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 03:00:50 AM »
There are quite a few books like that, although the ones I know best are Australian Young Adult fiction.

Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden (first of a series)
Ash Road by Ivan Southall
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

(To be fair, in none of these are the adults dead. They are, however, out of the story for the majority of the time and the kids have to take charge.)

Perhaps others have suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:02:43 AM by KB »

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:46 AM »
There are quite a few books like that, although the ones I know best are Australian Young Adult fiction.

Tomorrow When The War Began by John Marsden (first of a series)
Ash Road by Ivan Southall
Lord of the Flies by William Golding

(To be fair, in none of these are the adults dead. They are, however, out of the story for the majority of the time and the kids have to take charge.)

Perhaps others have suggestions.

Funny you should mention Ash Road. Hills End by Ivan Southall also popped into my mind. Another young adult novel with absent adults and kids taking on responsibility, rather than one in which the adults are dead. Good writer.  :)

perpetua

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 03:17:14 AM »

All I remember about the plot was all the adults had died and the kids were left to run things.

Lord of the Flies instantly springs to mind, but that's probably too obvious...

mrkitty

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 03:26:44 AM »
Julia, can you perhaps remember the genre of the book at all? Was it Gothic fiction, horror, non-fiction, adult fiction, young adult, children's fiction, etc? That might help narrow it down a bit, or perhaps any more details at all?

I found one titled "The Girl Who Owned a City" by O.T. Nelson, published 1977. It's about a virus that wipes out anyone over the age of twelve. But that's all I could come up with without more info.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:31:02 AM by mrkitty »
Learn from past. Live in the present. Hope for the future.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 06:37:05 AM »
That is a very common book theme!   More about the genre, how many kids, what country it was set in etc would help.

The first book I thought of was "Then there were nine" by Phyllis Johnston.  It's a New Zealand book, published in the late 80s and based on a true story from very early New Zealand colonization.  The "kids" range from 6 to adults but it's about them working out what on earth to do with their parents gone.   Unlikely that it's the one you're thinking of but always possible I guess!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 07:00:42 AM »
I suspect you are talking about Gone but this is a common YA them.

Here is a list off books from TV tropes just scroll down to literature
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlyFatalToAdults
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:02:29 AM »
The Girl who Owned a City,  Night of the Purple Moon,  or even Dark Piper (Andre Norton) all come to mind.

Jocelyn

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »
Surviving the Fog?

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
It's not 100% like your description, because they have the assistance of another adult for a time after their parents pass away, but one of my favourite books of that genre is Children of the New Forest, written in 1847 by Frederick Marryat.  Highly recommended!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
What do you mean by all the adults are dead?  All the adults in the country/city/world, or in one family?

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 10:05:32 AM »
I think ANY more detail would help. Are the kids little, like under age 12? Or are they older teens? Were they living in houses or a large building all together? Or out in the woods?

NyaChan

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Yes this is a very common premise - do you have any more detail?

Whether all the parents/adults are dead of just the one family's would make a difference too, I mean the Boxcar children springs to my mind first.

Oh Joy

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 10:50:13 AM »
Yes, please more detail, even if you're not sure.  Sunny or dark?  Relatively realistic or totally fantasy? City or country?  Time period?  Geography?  One family, or the whole world?  Any specific characters/objects/dialogs/subplots?

We'll do what we can.   :)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 12:42:45 PM »
I can't help with the exact book but if you like similar story lines, Heinlein's Tunnel In The Sky.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain