Author Topic: New Year's Day Dinner Ideas  (Read 1433 times)

AstiTheWestie

New Year's Day Dinner Ideas
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »
Hi Everybody! Hope you all had a wonderful holiday!

Husband and I are hosting a New Year's Day dinner for my in-laws. There will just be 6 of us total. I have a Honey Baked Ham and will make a salad of mixed greens with havarti cheese, candied pecans & dried cranberries (yum). Any ideas for some interesting side dishes and a dessert? I was thinking of making a lightened up version of Ina Garten's Spinach Gratin, but I am looking for more ideas. Thanks!

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: New Year's Day Dinner Ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
What? No hoppin' john and collards? Are trying to ensure a bad 2014?   ;)

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »
LOL!!!! I got pork! THAT will ensure a good 2014  ;D

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »
Stuffed mushroom caps?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »
We've always found that au gratin potatoes or baked sweet potatoes (plain, baked like white potatoes and served with butter) go well with ham. 

Crushed pineapple with a little rum added makes a nice garnish with ham and offsets the saltiness of the meat. 

Panned spinach is easy and good.  It's just spinach lightly sautéed in a little garlic and oil.  Sweated onions are a nice addition as are pine nuts.  The contrasting color also makes for a pretty plate with the pink ofthe ham. 

Whatever you choose, I'd like an invitation, please.  I'll bring my own plate and chair.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:25:13 AM by Thipu1 »

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 10:25:24 AM »
I made the mustard mashed potatoes from Tyler Florence's recipe from the food network website. They go very well with Ham and don't require peeling.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »
 :o
We've always found that au gratin potatoes or baked sweet potatoes (plain, baked like white potatoes and served with butter) go well with ham. 

Crushed pineapple with a little rum added makes a nice garnish with ham and offsets the saltiness of the meat. 

Panned spinach is easy and good.  It's just spinach lightly sautéed in a little garlic and oil.  Sweated onions are a nice addition as are pine nuts.  The contrasting color also makes for a pretty plate with the pink ofthe ham. 

Whatever you choose, I'd like an invitation, please.  I'll bring my own plate and chair.  ;D

Please join us! Did I mention it was a dinner with my in-laws? I'll need someone to talk to ...    :P

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 02:20:52 PM »
Ummm. i read here somewhere that you serve ham and water. no? >:D
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=131621.0

seriously, though. I love nice roasted vegetables ( you can do one vegetable or a mixture - it's nice and colorful) - i like to do peppers, eggplant slice, zuchinni, fennel, red onion. i splash with olive oil and a tad of balsamic or lemon juice, sprinkle with kosher salt, a little garlic powder, a little dried herbs, cumin.

you can add a starch like potatoes (puree, quartered and roasted, or gratin), or rice, or couscous, etc

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »

seriously, though. I love nice roasted vegetables ( you can do one vegetable or a mixture - it's nice and colorful) - i like to do peppers, eggplant slice, zuchinni, fennel, red onion. i splash with olive oil and a tad of balsamic or lemon juice, sprinkle with kosher salt, a little garlic powder, a little dried herbs, cumin.

you can add a starch like potatoes (puree, quartered and roasted, or gratin), or rice, or couscous, etc

Sweet! Ham and Water. THAT will save me lots of time! :P

cwm

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

Sweet! Ham and Water. THAT will save me lots of time! :P

Hey, now, don't forget the side of ham!

metallicafan

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 08:15:08 PM »
Rosemary roasted potatoes, or a mashed potato casserole of some sort?

POF

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
I like to have a ham with picnic sides....

Potato salad, baked beans, crusty rolls

I also like mac n cheese , roasted green beans with maple syrup and dijon mustard and corn bread.

AstiTheWestie

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
OP here. I am also thinking, along with the side of ham ;), potato salad, the green salad I referenced in my OP, green beans wrapped in bacon (SO good!), crescent rolls (or something similar), and roasted butternut squash. Yes? No? Enough?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 08:40:51 PM by AstiTheWestie »

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »
Macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes or mashed potatoes would all be good choices.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

metallicafan

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 10:12:54 PM »
For dessert, what about a orange cranberry cake?