Author Topic: another movie theater issue  (Read 2265 times)

songbird

another movie theater issue
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:03:47 AM »
A group of us went to the movies yesterday.

The movie was scheduled to "start" at 11:00 AM.  Essentially the "start" time means the house lights go down and there are about 20 minutes of trailers/coming attractions before the feature presentation.

When you come into the theater, before the movie's "start" time, the theater is showing something called "First Look" -- interviews with movie stars, previews of upcoming TV shows, commercial advertising, etc. 

We arrived at the theater about 10:30 or so and chose our seats.  And began to chat quietly among ourselves while waiting for the movie to begin.  Other people were coming into the theater at this time, also chatting among themselves as they settled into their seats.

At about 10:55, five minutes before the movie was supposed to start, the man sitting a few seats  away from us got up, walked over to us and asked us to stop talking.  We looked at each other like "Did he really just say that?"  But we did stop talking.

Who, if anyone, was out of line here?

lorelai

Re: another movie theater issue
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 11:06:07 AM »
Maybe he was preemptively trying to avoid chatting during the movie itself? I might respond that we'd stop when the movie started, which is standard.

Stanwyck

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »
The man was out of line. While the theater lights are still on, talking is permissible.  You and your friends were OK.

Zizi-K

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »
I think you could have said, we will stop talking when the movie begins. And then ignored him. He was out of line to ask you to stop talking at that point.

meronym

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 12:13:44 PM »
I agree that the other man was out of line. While you shouldn't be unnecessarily loud, in case people are watching, you can definitely talk during the pre-previews. I'd even say that you can talk quietly through the previews. I think you can only expect audience silence after the feature movie starts.

cwm

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »
He was out of line. I've always considered talking and checking phones/texting/whatever OK until the lights dim. Before then, the ushers don't even care what you're doing, so long as it's within the bounds of what's appropriate in public.

Then again, there's no reason to respond to him either. Don't engage the crazy.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 01:08:51 PM »
I agree that you are ok till the lights dim depending how I read the person's body language I would
1. Keep talking quietly
2. Tell him firmly I will stop talking when the lights go down. If he kept it up, call or get management to deal with unreasonable person
3. Leave and ask for a refund rain check because I felt unsafe with this person that I had already made angry. (Note I've only come close to this 1 time in all my years of going to movies. When some Late teens early/mid 20 guys were making R - X rated remarks in a PG movie. They gave off agressive "vibes" from the way they interacted with each other. I started to leave with my 2 young cousins. An older man waved at me to sit down and asked me to watch his 2 kids. He went and spoke to the young men. Their body language remained aggressive - until they suddenly snapped to attention and stopped all inappropriate behavior. At the end of the movie when the lights came up - I recongized the Commander of the AFB (He was at a lot of public events, and Dad knew him from being a co-sponser of many events). The young men were members of the military apparently. I also got the impression that this wasn't the end of it.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

citadelle

• fully functional & aesthetically pleasing
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:15:20 PM »
I agree that you are ok till the lights dim depending how I read the person's body language I would
1. Keep talking quietly
2. Tell him firmly I will stop talking when the lights go down. If he kept it up, call or get management to deal with unreasonable person
3. Leave and ask for a refund rain check because I felt unsafe with this person that I had already made angry. (Note I've only come close to this 1 time in all my years of going to movies. When some Late teens early/mid 20 guys were making R - X rated remarks in a PG movie. They gave off agressive "vibes" from the way they interacted with each other. I started to leave with my 2 young cousins. An older man waved at me to sit down and asked me to watch his 2 kids. He went and spoke to the young men. Their body language remained aggressive - until they suddenly snapped to attention and stopped all inappropriate behavior. At the end of the movie when the lights came up - I recongized the Commander of the AFB (He was at a lot of public events, and Dad knew him from being a co-sponser of many events). The young men were members of the military apparently. I also got the impression that this wasn't the end of it.)

It is amazing how many people your dad knows!

baconsmom

• The novelist currently known as Catherine Winters
    • Catherine Winters
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
You were fine. Talking before the house lights go down is standard. I even give leeway to a little talking during previews.

Funny story, sort of related: I went to the movies on Sunday. They weren't playing any sort of "First Look" stuff, so people in the theatre were chatting freely. Then they played some ads, and we all quieted down, because we thought the previews would come next.

But they didn't. Instead, there was about five minutes of just - nothing. And everyone was silent, because we thought the movie was going to start. Most awkward silence I've ever encountered!
Follow me on  Twitter!

Like me on Facebook!

Or try something tasty from my blog: Catherine Winters

That Anime Chick

• Rumble Ball!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 03:47:21 PM »
Those "First Look" shows are incredibly loud as it is, so unless he was practically on top of you, he'd have no reason to do that. Besides the house lights are up during that time because people are getting to their seats, passing out snacks, etc.

Sounds to me like someone was being a special snowflake.  If he was really bothered by your talking, he should have found an usher to deal with the problem.
http://tinyurl.com/5vuusz Thanks for helping my cute lil dragon grow up. Please help my hatchlings and egg? Please?? ^_^

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 01:22:08 AM »
1. Keep talking quietly

I've lived next to/close to military personnel a few times.  The first time, my children were quite small, and the men were standing around outside our front doors cussing up a storm, having a fine time.  I asked them to tone down their volume and went back in.  They toned it down for a very short time, and then ramped it up again.  DH suggested I ask them if they wanted me to contact their commanding officer...?  "Oh, NO MA'AM, sorry about that.  We'll go inside now" and they did and they behaved much better from then on (months of good behavior).  DH grew up an Army brat, so he knew the 'code words' to use.  I had them not work on some Marine neighbors, and them we called the cops on........
Mother to children and fuzz butts....