Author Topic: Take Me Out to the Ball Game - Rude?  (Read 4777 times)

YellowSub

Take Me Out to the Ball Game - Rude?
« on: December 26, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »
Question I'm hoping to settle before baseball season starts up. Background: I am a huge fan of my local major league baseball team and try to go to as many games as possible during the season. Several family members/friends are also hugs fans of this team and we sit in the same section whenever possible.

Last season I bought 2 seats on the lower field level for a big game. My Aunt decided that she would like to go and purchased the other ticket from me. We had 2 cousins also in our row and a few family friends in front of us. Everyone knew everyone so it was quite the jolly group.

After the national anthem I took a picture and posted it to Facebook. A few minutes later I received a text from a friendly acquaintance saying, "Hey I'm at the same game but on the upper deck! Come up here during the 3rd inning and I'll buy you a beer." I had not seen this person in quite a while and wanted to say hi, so I excused myself during the third inning and met up with them. Because I had a field ticket I was able to go up to their level, but they were not able to access my level. I was back to my seat by the fourth inning - gone probably about 20-30 minutes total.  I enjoyed the rest of the game with my family/friends and our team won! Yay!

Fast forward 2 weeks later - I'm talking with a family friend (who wasn't even at the game!) and she mentions she thought it was really rude I left Aunt during an entire inning to go meet up with someone. Of course I feel terrible so I call Aunt, who is a bit perplexed, she only mentioned I was gone for a bit in passing because she was telling family friend how she enjoyed catching up with our cousins while I stepped out.

I relay this message back to family friend (yes, I was being smug) and she says "Well your Aunt might not mind, but if I go to a game with you, you had better not leaving me sitting there while you go off drinking with friends. At least have some manners and bring me with you so I can be properly introduced!"

I think family friend is being quite the special snowflake, but who knows, maybe I was rude? Obviously I would not have left if it was just Aunt and myself. I even brought her back some cracker jacks!

Zizi-K

Re: Take Me Out to the Ball Game - Rude?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »
Your friends isn't an SS, but rather is a busybody interjecting her/himself into the situation for no good reason trying to drum up drama. You did not leave your aunt "alone," she was in the company with a bunch of other family. Had you been there with one other person and not known anyone sitting around you, I'm sure you would have either brought that person with you to the upper deck or just not gone. The only reasonable response to FF is, "Well, don't worry, I won't be going to a baseball game with you!"

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Your friends isn't an SS, but rather is a busybody interjecting her/himself into the situation for no good reason trying to drum up drama. You did not leave your aunt "alone," she was in the company with a bunch of other family. Had you been there with one other person and not known anyone sitting around you, I'm sure you would have either brought that person with you to the upper deck or just not gone. The only reasonable response to FF is, "Well, don't worry, I won't be going to a baseball game with you!"

Agreed.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Not rude. You didn't leave aunt alone nor were you gone for a long time. Now, had it been you and aunt, and you were gone half the game, very rude. But you didn't and weren't. I am curious; has friend who commented even been invited to use your other ticket? Or just assuming you will take them?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »

Agreed.

POD

If there weren't other friends around I probably would have asked the aunt if she wanted to go with me. But I don't think you were rude at all.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 05:10:47 PM »
I think family friend was being intrusive to say the least. But, she did do you a favor-now you know that you probably don't ever want to invite her along. If she's willing to stir the pot over something that doesn't involve her at all, she will almost certainly cause trouble if she is actually included.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

veronaz

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
Your friends isn't an SS, but rather is a busybody interjecting her/himself into the situation for no good reason trying to drum up drama.

Definitely this.  I wouldn't waste anymore time or energy worrying about this busybody.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 05:22:23 PM »
I agree with SamiHami!  That woman sounds like a real pill.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 06:02:28 PM »
If your aunt 'enjoyed catching up with the cousins' while you were gone, it sounds like she would not have wanted to go meet up with a stranger. And she was in no way left alone or with nothing to do. Friend is quite the special snowflake to make assumptions about what you and your relatives should be doing.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

MrTango

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
OP, I think you were just fine.

Personally, I'd cross this family friend off the list of people to ever invite to join me for a game.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:28 PM »
She wasn't your guest.  She bought her own ticket.  You were not responsible for her. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »
If you had left her all alone with no one to talk to then that would have been rude.  Unless, it was something she willingly agreed to.

Some people are happy being on their own in a casual setting.  Some people aren't.

I also agree that this other person is just trying to start trouble.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
I don't think you did anything wrong. Now, if Aunt didn't know anyone there to talk to or wasn't interested in the game itself, then I might have a different opinion, but it sounds fine here. I would appreciate my friend teaching me never to invite her to a game, though!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »
I don't think you did anything wrong. Now, if Aunt didn't know anyone there to talk to or wasn't interested in the game itself, then I might have a different opinion, but it sounds fine here. I would appreciate my friend teaching me never to invite her to a game, though!

Agreed, it depends on the situation. In the one with your aunt, it sounds like you two had fun and it was fine to go visit your friend for an inning.

katycoo

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 08:29:05 PM »
I'd have far preferred being left with family/friends than being dragged to meet a stranger.  Don't worry about it.