Author Topic: The tale of the waxy thingamajig - how far do you take the gift lie?  (Read 6328 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: The tale of the waxy thingamajig - how far do you take the gift lie?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »
It's kind of rubbing me the wrong way that everyone is advocating just giving the gift away after trying one scent of one brand. Surely there are dozens (hundreds?) of different waxes that could be used, or as suggested not using the wax at all. Unless the OP is deadset against keeping it, I'd at least try a couple of different ones before I gave up on it.

Depends on the OP's sensitivities and allergies and budget.  For me, it wouldn't be worth it to try to find a scent I could work with.  I'd probably end up spending a fortune trying to find something that would work and that's not something I'm willing to do.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kckgirl

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 10:04:13 PM »
It's kind of rubbing me the wrong way that everyone is advocating just giving the gift away after trying one scent of one brand. Surely there are dozens (hundreds?) of different waxes that could be used, or as suggested not using the wax at all. Unless the OP is deadset against keeping it, I'd at least try a couple of different ones before I gave up on it.

Depends on the OP's sensitivities and allergies and budget.  For me, it wouldn't be worth it to try to find a scent I could work with.  I'd probably end up spending a fortune trying to find something that would work and that's not something I'm willing to do.

Even trying things she probably already has in her home, like spices or herbs?
Maryland

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

Even trying things she probably already has in her home, like spices or herbs?

If it is safe to use those kinds of things, sure, but I wouldn't think it would be.  Essential oils probably are but then again, you'd have to go buy those.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kckgirl

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »
Why wouldn't it be safe to put spices and herbs in water? They would go in the dish on top where the wax goes.
Maryland

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 10:37:33 PM »
Why should the OP try so hard to make a gift she didn't ask for work?

PlainJane

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »
This!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »
Why wouldn't it be safe to put spices and herbs in water? They would go in the dish on top where the wax goes.

Using an electronic device in a way it's not intended to be used is always a bad idea.

Belong that, I agree with mmbored.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 09:54:29 AM »

Thank you!  A much more succinct version of what I was trying to say.
Ontario

kudeebee

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:03 PM »

The warmers aren't made to be used with water.  Water will eventually evaporate, would have to be constantly monitored to make sure there is water in it, etc.  Could end up being dangerous.

Agree that op tried the gift and it didn't work for her.  No need to go to great lengths to make it work.

Possum

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2014, 01:06:39 AM »
If you want to keep it out of respect for the giver, then just ditch the wax and find your own.  Etsy is full of artisans who sell things like that, and can provide you with very, very lightly scented--or unscented (since beeswax has a soft honey scent of its own)--wax for a warmer.  That way you use it, but you're not subject to migraines.  And unless it'd cause serious discord, be honest with the giver.  "The warmer thingamajig is lovely!  I'm afraid some wax scents cause me terrible migraines, but I've found some other waxes to use with it.  It's a lovely touch!" (And if you buy waxes from Etsy, you can even talk about how you're so glad you could couple the gift with something handmade by an independent artisan, etc.)

RandomAngel

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »

I think this is the crux--OP was never that into this gift to begin with. It doesn't fit with her interests; it's not based on ideas the friend saw in OP's home. Friend got a gift Friend liked, and it's unrelated to a gift OP would want.

I'm not a big scent person, myself. We use unscented detergent, diluted vinegar for cleaning, unscented lotions...I even tried unscented deodorant for a while (one step too far, there). Finding a home scent that doesn't make me queasy would not be a high priority for me, because I don't especially WANT my home to smell like cinnamon or vanilla or eucalyptus. So suggesting that OP should be responsible for trying to make her house smell pleasant when she doesn't want to make her house smell at all because her friend gave her something that made her house smell unpleasant doesn't make any sense to me.

tinkytinky

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2014, 09:22:16 AM »
The gift is really not what the OP is worried about, it's her friends feelings. She doesn't want friend spending money on a gift that OP doesn't find useful. so if OP uses it a couple of different ways, different scents, (even Vics Vaporub) and still finds that she can't use it, she can truthfully tell friend that unfortunately it didn't work for her. she can explain what different things she did/used with it, and it still had undesireable results. Then she can donate it, throw it away, or offer it back to friend with a few of the wax tarts with the explaination that OP knows that she likes it and spent a good deal of money on it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
The gift is really not what the OP is worried about, it's her friends feelings. She doesn't want friend spending money on a gift that OP doesn't find useful. so if OP uses it a couple of different ways, different scents, (even Vics Vaporub) and still finds that she can't use it, she can truthfully tell friend that unfortunately it didn't work for her. she can explain what different things she did/used with it, and it still had undesireable results. Then she can donate it, throw it away, or offer it back to friend with a few of the wax tarts with the explaination that OP knows that she likes it and spent a good deal of money on it.

Much like an invitation is not a summons, a gift is not an obligation. If the OP wants to experiment with a few of the other discs her friend gave her, that's great. But I don't see why she should invest a lot of time and money on supplies and risk a lot of migraines to make a gift work.

tinkytinky

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2014, 11:33:11 AM »

Much like an invitation is not a summons, a gift is not an obligation. If the OP wants to experiment with a few of the other discs her friend gave her, that's great. But I don't see why she should invest a lot of time and money on supplies and risk a lot of migraines to make a gift work.

I agree, but her question was how to let friend know without hurting her feelings. OP is perfectly free to do with the gift as she wishes, and stated that it was without question going to be donated. it is hers to do with as she sees fit. It isn't the gift in question. it is her friends feelings. if she tries the gift a few times and it still doesn't work, she would be able to tell her friend that she sincerly tried, but it just doesn't work for her. that would also get the point that friend doesn't need to buy more of the wax tarts to go with it. If OP tells her that after one try, the scent didn't work for her, friend might purchase more to try, which is, I believe, what OP is trying to avoid.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 11:43:28 AM by tinkytinky »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter