Author Topic: Yes, even your kid isn't invited. *Update Post #30* *Post-Party Update #71*  (Read 25253 times)

NyaChan

I am blinded by the shine!  Thanks for the update :)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
The guest who asked for a ride was quite unreasonable, IMO. Talk about really putting the hosts on the spot. Especially if there were other perfectly acceptable public transport options available.

And the guest who stormed out because you didn't let her "maybe" boorish boyfriend in? I'm glad she ended up apologising, but I would also be considering cooling the friendship!

EllenS

The guest who asked for a ride was quite unreasonable, IMO. Talk about really putting the hosts on the spot. Especially if there were other perfectly acceptable public transport options available.

And the guest who stormed out because you didn't let her "maybe" boorish boyfriend in? I'm glad she ended up apologising, but I would also be considering cooling the friendship!

Further to a previous discussion of what constitutes a "social unit" or not - I think it is pretty well established that you cannot be considered a social unit if you're "kinda sorta seeing" somebody.

Peppergirl

"kinda sorta" seeing John, yet, "He didn't want me to go to the party by myself."  Really?!?! 

What a great way to kick off a budding relationship::)  He sounds like a real prize.  Glad you kicked her to the curb, Glitter.  You'll probably be seeing them on Jerry Springer soon.  >:D

Sorry, that was bad.  Couldn't resist, though.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

I love how you handled all of it, but especially how you swiftly got rid of John. And your wording was fantastic! Too bad your reward for defending yourself in your own home was to be insulted by a former friend. Good riddance to bad rubbish (her).

Marbles

• I'm lost
Wow... Really?  Who asks a party host (who's probably busy running around setting up her party) to drop everything and come pick her up?!?
My MIL for one. While my DH and I were getting ready for my older son's third birthday party, she called asking for a ride from our local train station. Because when we are entertaining two kids whilst trying to get our house ready for guests, of course we want to drop everything to run out to pick people up.  ::) At least a friend was willing to take her bsck to the station, since she invariable leaves before our parties wrap up.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
*falls over laughing*

Oh, Glitter, you're awesome! >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Petticoats

At the risk of being repetitive, I just have to tell you, Glitter, how much I admire you! You handled everything so well, especially Amanda and the boorish John situation. I'm delighted that the party went well, that Amanda decided to get over her sulk and be good company, and that everything worked out well (except perhaps for the woman seeing John--even if she is a flake, as it sounds from your description, I hope she dumps that controlling jerk and works on her etiquette skills and backbone).

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
*applause*
Adding my kudos to the pile! ;D

...and wondering about the "Brunch Guest" story?? Is it somewhere here or was it a submission to the main site? ???
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

Raintree

• Super Hero!
Re: Yes, even your kid isn't invited. *Update Post #30*
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2014, 12:48:43 AM »
So, a full how the party went up date is in order, yes? Alright, it'll probably be a bit long, get some coco or apple cider and settle in. Everyone settled? Okay, here we go! (I'm in an odd mood today)

I actually went and got a glass of wine and a snack for this.

I have to ask though, had each guest made adequate preparations for lesbians, or did anyone show up underprepared?

mmswm

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2014, 01:07:18 AM »
So, a full how the party went up date is in order, yes? Alright, it'll probably be a bit long, get some coco or apple cider and settle in. Everyone settled? Okay, here we go! (I'm in an odd mood today)

I actually went and got a glass of wine and a snack for this.

I have to ask though, had each guest made adequate preparations for lesbians, or did anyone show up underprepared?

Can't.  Breathe.  Laughing too hard.

And my dogs are now looking at me like I lost my mind.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
Re: Yes, even your kid isn't invited. *Update Post #30* *Post-Party Update #71*
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
I just read the Brunch Guest story...

1) Glitter is my new hero and needs a brilliant cape to go with her adamantium spine! ;D
2) I hope Kyle kicked Claire to the curb and found a girl who loves scary movies (and throwing parties centered around them) as much as he does!

3) @ Raintree: I believe the only way one 'prepares' for lesbians is to be on one's best behavior...especially if one is meeting Glitter! However, I will note there is vague evidence of a tradition (of unknown anthropological origin) that involves dipping oneself in honey - but this seems to only be the etiquette if one is "thrown" to lesbians, in which case preparedness is not really possible.  >:D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Possum

« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2014, 02:06:37 PM »
[quote author=GlitterIsMyDrug link=topic=131742.msg3079909#msg3079909 date=1388686732I just said "And who are you?" at which point my friend speaks up "This is John, remember I told you were kind of seeing each other. He wasn't ok with me going to a party without him on New Year's Eve so I brought him a long" at this point John is already inside the house and asking if we have better food
[/quote]
This is off topic, but RED FLAG ALERT.  John sounds very controlling, and the bolded part is icing on the cake.  Please keep an eye on this friend and make sure he's treating her well!

Back on topic, Glitter, you are my hero!  I spent YEARS without a spine, and now that I have one, I'm still learning grace.  I wish I could have half as much of both as you have!

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
[quote author=GlitterIsMyDrug link=topic=131742.msg3079909#msg3079909 date=1388686732I just said "And who are you?" at which point my friend speaks up "This is John, remember I told you were kind of seeing each other. He wasn't ok with me going to a party without him on New Year's Eve so I brought him a long" at this point John is already inside the house and asking if we have better food
This is off topic, but RED FLAG ALERT.  John sounds very controlling, and the bolded part is icing on the cake.  Please keep an eye on this friend and make sure he's treating her well![/quote]

Whoa, easy there. John is obviously a boor for the way he behaved at the party, but I don't think wanting to spend New Year's Eve with his (albeit new) squeeze necessarily means he's one of those uber-controlling "Thou shalt not socialize without me, ever" types. Friend's "he wasn't OK with ..." might have simply meant "he really was looking forward to us spending NYE together."

While New Year's Eve isn't as much a couples-oriented holiday as, say, Valentine's Day, I think there is an expectation that couples (even new ones) are going to spend it together.

The red flag in this situation isn't that John wanted to spend NYE with the woman he's been seeing, but that he was rude to her friends, the hosts. That would be a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:21:51 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady