Author Topic: Family tech support software?  (Read 588 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Family tech support software?
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:20:13 AM »
For the IT-inclined eHellions...

You know when you contact tech support online and sometimes they have software they can use (with your permission) to take control of your computer and fix the problem? Some time ago I saw an ad for similar software that was quite inexpensive - ideal for providing tech support for the parents at a distance.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? Can you help me with names/sources for such a thing? Thanks!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Family tech support software?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:37:15 AM »
You can use free software like join.me to do that.  google hangouts might offer the same option.

Join.me requires both computers to have the free software, I use this a lot.  Google hangouts needs both people to have a google account

catgal

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:15:35 AM »
My DH is often called upon to be "tech support" for family and friends and uses TeamViewer (TeamViewer.com).  Both PC's need to download the free software but it means he can remotely access their computers and fix things etc.  It has made life a lot easier when he is working on his elderly, computer illiterate mum's computer who lives interstate.  It used to drive him crazy to be on the phone with her endlessly asking her what she could see and trying to blindly assist her.  This way she lets him know she will leave the PC on when she goes to bed and he can do what needs to be done quickly and best of all, frustration free  ;D 
There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

daen

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
My husband is the IT guy for far too many relatives, and he uses LogMeIn.  (secure.logmein.com)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 10:11:45 PM »
I knew the eHell Brain Trust would know what I needed! Thanks!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 12:19:11 AM »
My company uses LogMeIn Rescue, and it's a very nice package for remote support.  However, it costs to have a service account so it may not be useful for you.

Virg