Author Topic: Hallucinations that you've had...or Hauntings?  (Read 723 times)

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
Hallucinations that you've had...or Hauntings?
« on: December 28, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »
A bit late in the year for scary stuff, but oh well!

So, this is a thing that happens with me sometimes and I wondered if anyone had that as well.

Basically, it's seeing or feeling weird/scary things that aren't actually there when you first open your eyes or randomly during the day. From what I've heard/seen it's worse when you're woken up suddenly because your brain is still mostly asleep and trying to catch up. Or, you know, hauntings. I'd like to just blame everything on my cat, but he's living with my sister now, so that's out.

One that has happened an irritating number of times: I sleep with my lights off. My room tends to be pretty dark, though I can see a little bit because a bit of moonlight through the blinds or hallway lights. So I open my eyes, staring up at the ceiling, at it looks like there is a ton of bugs/spiders moving about up there. I...nearly lost control of specific sphincter-required bodily functions the first two times.

Another was actually this morning. I woke up (lying on my side) with the feeling that there was a hand around the front of my neck. Not choking, just pressed there firmly, with the thumb patting/rubbing the side of my neck. I initially thought it was my sister (who is staying with us for the week) because it felt like her hand. I moved to try to get it off and it held on more tightly, so I went limp instead. Which worked, because it let go after a second. I rolled over and saw someone (too shrouded in darkness to make out features) standing there for a moment and then there was nothing.

Another one, and this ones is whited out for the squeamish: I woke from a weird dream where I was at a dangerous camp type place (not a concentration camp..just a summer camp. Which is odd because I've never been to one). I was pretending to be sleeping in the dream when someone injected something into my neck. So I woke up, but I could still feel like there was something there. At the time, I remember actually hearing a squishy sort of bubbling sound coming from my the back of my neck as if my spine was dissolving. I couldn't move for a few seconds and then I was fine, though my neck felt weird for a couple hours just from the memory of that and I was too afraid to crack my neck for like a week.

So, yeah... Anyone else have weird stories to share?
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

-----

Lestrade: "Exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?"
Sherlock: "Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, Detective Inspector. I lost count

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: Hallucinations that you've had...or Hauntings?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:26 AM »
There are many stories like yours in the ongoing ghost story thread (See "For Jaxsue-My brother's ghost story" thread.  I bumped it up so you could see it.  It had dropped way down on the list, but it's a great thread.  There is also one about personal mysteries you might like to look at.  I bumped that one, too for you.)

Anyway, I have had some weird experiences at night.  People might think they are night terrors, but I think they seem like more than that.  Seeing darker areas of darkness in the room, feeling people touching me, unable to move, speak or anything.  I haven't had that happen for quite a while, but it used to be almost every night at some points. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 11:58:11 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

EllenS

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:17 PM »
Um, trying to keep this on a "shared experience" level and not stray into medical territory - I have not had anything that vivid in a long time, but when I do have intrusive, frightening thoughts (especially ones that persist or produce enough physical tension to affect me for a long time afterward), it is because my anxiety symptoms are flaring up.  It is a signal to me that I need to be very vigilant about getting enough sleep, outdoor time, exercise, taking my meds, and reducing my stress.  If I don't compensate like that, I will soon be compromised in my ability to function day-to-day.

If I personally had these again, I would get me to my doctor pronto.

BarensMom

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
After my grandmother passed, I would see "shadow people" out of the corner of my eye.  I'd turn to look full-on and nothing would be there.  I'm sure it was my anxiety about my mother and being pressured to go to the funeral and all the panoply that went with it. 

MerryCat

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:06 PM »
I often think I see people out of the corner of my eyes. I think that, in my case, I'm just registered any movement in the corner of my eyes as "person" for some reason. If it's a small, dark thing in the edge of my vision than I register that as "cat". Probably because Mitten is always sneaking up on us.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 01:31:57 PM »
When we were in our first house, for 34 years, I would often feel a presence. We raised both of our kids in the home, and as I didn't want to frighten the them, I never said anything. Just recently we started talking about it. Both kids had felt it, we three heard our names called from time to time, the dog would sometimes stare down the hallway and bark (she wasn't much of a barker), and when I was doing the final packing in the bedroom to move out, I felt him behind me, so I said, "We are finally getting out of here." He said my name one more time. Over the years, the one dog was the only roaming pet in the house - we had fish, guinea pigs, and a hamster, but no cats.

Lucas never felt it, I thought it was benign but daughter thought it meant her harm. Son was just interested. One of our friends just hated our house and refused to go past the bathroom. I had never believed in that kind of stuff, even though I was afraid to be in the basement of the house I grew up in, but now I do believe.

I think there may be something in the corner of the garage here, but I'm not afraid to work in the basement alone at night, so I think this house is just fine.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:49:46 AM by Luci45 »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:24:57 AM »
(I agree with Ellen - it sounds like something is going on in your life that you can't /haven't dealt with. I would seek help if it continues.)

For me - when i was going through a nasty divorce, i woke up screaming a few times and woke up feeling like someone was suffocating me. i don't mean that i woke up "thinking" that i was screaming; i literally woke up screaming. but i know it was definitely stress related and it stopped as soon as we left ex-husband and i gained control of my life again.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools