Author Topic: Monday Morning Quarterbacking This Holiday Season  (Read 2830 times)

bopper

• Super Hero!
Re: Monday Morning Quarterbacking This Holiday Season
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
We missed two weekends in Dec because of travel to accompany DH on a business trip to Orlando and my oldest DD graduating from college.

So the tree was put up late...no problem.
So we didn't use all the ornaments...no problem.
So we didn't make all the Christmas cookies...no problem...
So the Christmas cards went out a bit late...no problem.
So I didn't put rubber stamps on the back of the card evelopes...no problem.

I have the Christmas cards down to a science....list of addresses in MS Word and I use mail merge to create labels.  I take the picture for the card at Thanksgiving when the girls are home and dressed up and make cards on Shutterfly.   

SheltieMom

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 01:43:52 AM »
I do not ever plan to have a wedding 5 days before Christmas!
 My daughter's wedding was beautiful, and basically drama-free, but crazy to pull off. Of course, all of my children are now happily married, so hopefully, I won't be planning any more weddings!

If Timmy had had a Sheltie, he never would have fallen in that well!

cattlekid

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
1.  I will NOT let my mother guilt me into traveling for the holidays.  I flew to visit them over Thanksgiving and while there was nothing wrong with the visit per se, it just reinforced my hatred of flying, especially over the holidays. 

2.  I will become a responsible adult and send out Christmas cards.

3.  I will put a little more effort into Christmas day.  This year, DH and I had nowhere to go so we just bummed around the house, which was a hair on the depressing side.  We need a happy medium between go-go-go and "do nothing".

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 11:43:41 AM »
Great thread, Amara!

For Christmas this year we did a potluck, with people bringing casseroles, instead of other kinds of side stuff.  We had tamale pie and mock ravioli, two green salads, Quinoa, a ham and a roast beef.  I liked that for Christmas, even though I  missed it, being under the weather.   >:(    I'll won't do quinoa again, though.  Almost the entire pot was left, had been unrefrigerated for hours and hours and I had to toss it.  :'(   I guess they didn't know what to do with it and since I wasn't there...well....darn.  I love that stuff with a little butter and extra virgin olive oil.)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:35:11 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

cwm

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Next year I'm going to get going earlier on boyfriend's present. Or not leave it in the hands of other people. And I'll plan for his birthday (which I missed this year, yesterday) and take it into account. It's still frustrating that I had to rely on a friend to crochet him a scarf on Christmas Eve. She was happy to, but it's still annoying.

Making the cinnamon rolls early is perfectly fine. Did six batches the Sunday before Christmas this year, and it was great having an entire day of baking with mom and sis. I learned a lot, I had misremembered quite a bit of the actual roll making in the years of being unsupervised.

I will plan ahead and make sure BF either has the gas for his snowblower (gas/oil mix) or has salt on hand BEFORE the storms. I'm not willing to risk my neck, my spine, and my car to go visit him, regardless of what he thinks is normal. According to him, seeing the snow on the front steps is fine, even when it's nearly an inch of solid ice under it, but once I salted it and broke it away, THEN it became scary for him to walk down the steps.   ???

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
*ALWAYS* bring The Sweetie along when visiting Dad's wife, who is extremely opinionated without much fact backing her up.

Dad said with admiration after the visit, "[The Sweetie] is the first person I've ever seen who could argue [Wife] to a standstill!"

Example: Dad mentioned that he had donated to a food bank. This is a paraphrase of what happened next:

Wife: I'm so TIRED of you talking about hungry children!  There aren't hungry children in America! Because all the poor people are obese.
The Sweetie: Where do you get your statistics from?
Wife: I see fat children in the supermarket all the time.
The Sweetie: Do you know for a fact that all those kids are poor?
Wife: Well, their mothers yell at them.
The Sweetie: That means they're not being brought up well. What makes you think there aren't hungry children in America?
Wife: I see obese children all the time. They might not be eating balanced meals, but they're eating.
The Sweetie: So you notice obese children. What makes you think there aren't hungry children?
Wife: Children just don't eat right these days!
The Sweetie: Well, in the absence of hard data, I think we should move on to another topic.

(I was watching in awe. Dad was facepalming. They went a few more rounds before declaring a deadlock.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:54:04 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 02:56:05 PM »
Keep trying to get an accurate count and accountability.

BG: We live in an area where many people don't have blood family nearby, so our friends are our family. Christmas dinner is like many family gatherings where different folks bring sides and dessert. Except for one family. We've known them for 25+ years and they never give us a count or bring a dish. J&J have 3 adult children and a DIL.

Each year it's a challenge to get a count. Last year we went from expecting 12 people to having 17. Four of the extra were J&J's children. One was a friend of DS1 who suddenly was stuck in town. 

Mrs. J spent the entire time, as she does every year, saying to all that she didn't know to bring anything and she had X at home. She says it so much that folks sat it with her. Including one son. /BG

This year I tried to head off not knowing how many or who was bring what by contacting everyone via phone and email, leaving messages that I needed a count and we needed to coordinate who was bringing what. I made it light by saying I wanted to make certain we didnt have 3 bowl of mashed potatoes.  DH followed up with a conversation with Mr. J that since I was making beef Wellington I needed a good count. 

Crickets.  30 minutes before everyone was to arrive Mrs. J emailed (which I didn't see until everyone was gone). It said only J&J were coming. 15 minutes before DH received a call that they would only be stopping by for a quick hello.  J&J did arrive, stayed for appetizers and then dinner. DSs offered to eat in an another room and give up their seats at the table. 

Of course throughout the whole dinner Mrs. J commented that she didn't know how many people there would be so she didn't bring anything.

My goal for next year is to keep nudging and get a count. Maybe some salad in a bag.  :)

Maybe next year you should not invite Mrs. J.

(or, be sure to get contact info for all of Mrs. J's extended family, and contact them directly. And *tell* Mrs. J that you want her to bring XYZ food, enough for 10 servings, and you are counting on her. See what she does. Then when she doesn't bring that, you can stop inviting her.)

kckgirl

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
Maybe next year you should not invite Mrs. J.

(or, be sure to get contact info for all of Mrs. J's extended family, and contact them directly. And *tell* Mrs. J that you want her to bring XYZ food, enough for 10 servings, and you are counting on her. See what she does. Then when she doesn't bring that, you can stop inviting her.)

That would be my solution.
Maryland

Library Dragon

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
As mentioned these friends are our family.  J&J are DS2's godparents.  The boys refer to them as their crazy aunt and uncle. 

I could just cut them out altogether I know, but it's a full cut I'm not ready to do do yet.  I think I'm going to take the advice here and simply assign Mrs. J what to bring. 

Also I'm going to communicate directly with their adult children.  Their DS1 and his wife are Friends of Bill, so I don't like to push if they aren't feeling up to being in a wine filled home.  Some year it's easier than others.  They came to our 30th anniversary party and had no problems. I'm just going to nag the other two.  I'm the crazy aunt/friend so I can do that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Tea Drinker

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
As mentioned these friends are our family.  J&J are DS2's godparents.  The boys refer to them as their crazy aunt and uncle. 

I could just cut them out altogether I know, but it's a full cut I'm not ready to do do yet.  I think I'm going to take the advice here and simply assign Mrs. J what to bring. 

Also I'm going to communicate directly with their adult children.  Their DS1 and his wife are Friends of Bill, so I don't like to push if they aren't feeling up to being in a wine filled home.  Some year it's easier than others.  They came to our 30th anniversary party and had no problems. I'm just going to nag the other two.  I'm the crazy aunt/friend so I can do that.

Can you call or write to them and tell them that there is no wrong answer, but you're trying to get a head count before you shop for Christmas dinner, so want to know whether they'll be joining you for the holiday? They're adults, and it's entirely reasonable to contact them separately: it  would be even if their mother wasn't notoriously bad at RSVPing.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 10:12:43 PM »
*ALWAYS* bring The Sweetie along when visiting Dad's wife, who is extremely opinionated without much fact backing her up.

Dad said with admiration after the visit, "[The Sweetie] is the first person I've ever seen who could argue [Wife] to a standstill!"

Example: Dad mentioned that he had donated to a food bank. This is a paraphrase of what happened next:

Wife: I'm so TIRED of you talking about hungry children!  There aren't hungry children in America! Because all the poor people are obese.
The Sweetie: That means they're not being brought up well. What makes you think there aren't hungry children in America?
Wife: I see obese children all the time. They might not be eating balanced meals, but they're eating.
The Sweetie: So you notice obese children. What makes you think there aren't hungry children?

(I was watching in awe. Dad was facepalming. They went a few more rounds before declaring a deadlock.)
Dad's wife is welcome to come to my school. See my students who lick their school trays clean at breakfast and lunch. New federal regs to combat obesity means our lunch ladies can't slip the kids we know are hungry extra food. It will put them over the calorie count set by federal law.

Send her on a Friday so she can see them carry their Lunches of Love sack breakfasts and lunches home for the weekend with the utmost care. Or Drive by tomorrow at I think 11:30 to see the line of kids waiting for the Lunches of Love van to bring them tomorrows lunch, and Wednesday's breakfast. It is supposed to be in the low 50's they will be in shorts, some jeans, short sleeves, and cotton hoodies. Some are overweight not because always because they eat junk - but in many cases because their parents buy foods that fill the belly for cents on the dollar, but aren't the most healthy choices. We used to have a parenting class that helped with that, but budget cuts.

She should see what they look like when they try to run in shoes so small that their toes are folded over like in foot binding (coach keeps an eye out for that type of gait and gives them new shoes and socks. I went to BOGO sale and got 10 pair for her) Oh and their pants run from Steve Urkle to them slipping in my room instead of going to the gym in the morning, so I can zip tie their pants so they don't drop off their bodies. I take in the pants that way and snip off the edges of the zip ties. Then they can manage the belt to keep their pants up. (They take what they can get from clothing drives) The little guy in my class, is 1/2 the size of his next biggest brother and no one gets new clothes.

Some of their parents made bad choices, others got hurt and didn't have insurance, other's lost their jobs and have no education to get another. WHatever the cause the kid don't deserve to have to pay.

Thank Sweetie for me from my kids.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

SoCalVal

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:53 PM »
I'm not buying anything for wrapping/packaging Christmas gifts next year.  I hadn't been keeping track of what we have and, as I repacked the Christmas wrapping box, I realized the abundance of supplies we have.  I just e-mailed myself to set up a reminder to pop up on 9/1, 10/1, 11/1 and 12/1 not to buy any more supplies and provided myself with a list of what we have (and what I should buy).

I'm also going to try to hit my goal of covering most of next year's Christmas gifts with my mystery shopping so I actually have to start planning now.

I will do the Christmas shopping ahead of time next year just like this year.  It worked out really well to have it done 2.5 months ahead of Christmas.  However, I will also plan for time so that work does not interfere with my holiday baking plans (a little out of my control this year -- CW went out on a six-month LoA shortly before Christmas so I wasn't expecting the abundance of work that was sent my way and was way behind on a deadline that I *was* expecting so I ended up working twelve hours the weekend before Christmas; I'm going to bake on New Year's Day and, maybe, 1/5, instead and give out the goodies for Epiphany).

green.and.blue

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 07:13:55 AM »
We have accumulated waaaay too many tree ornaments. The tree looked awkward and overcrowded and we didn't even get many of my favourites on. I'm happy that as we took it down yesterday (since we're leaving on holiday today) we purged some of the plain, less interesting ornaments.

I finally have accepted that my parents are not going to take any effort with brunch whatsoever. I know my mom can't handle the stress of preparing a big holiday meal, which is why we moved to a brunch a few years ago, but my dad has kept saying each year that I should only bring a salad and they'll have everything else covered - but they don't. For the previous three years that upset me (as they got less and less prepared I felt less and less cared for), but this year I found it amusingly funny that my mom apologized for not having anything but deli meat and buns all still in the fridge, and uncut cheese, saying "Your dad told me not to get anything ready since you guys liked helping so much last year." Since we "like helping" then next year I am going to "help" more and bring more thoughtfully-prepared food - a nice salad like I am asked to bring, but also maybe a casserole or other fancy side dish.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »

Dad's wife is welcome to come to my school. See my students who lick their school trays clean at breakfast and lunch. New federal regs to combat obesity means our lunch ladies can't slip the kids we know are hungry extra food. It will put them over the calorie count set by federal law.

Send her on a Friday so she can see them carry their Lunches of Love sack breakfasts and lunches home for the weekend with the utmost care. Or Drive by tomorrow at I think 11:30 to see the line of kids waiting for the Lunches of Love van to bring them tomorrows lunch, and Wednesday's breakfast. It is supposed to be in the low 50's they will be in shorts, some jeans, short sleeves, and cotton hoodies. Some are overweight not because always because they eat junk - but in many cases because their parents buy foods that fill the belly for cents on the dollar, but aren't the most healthy choices. We used to have a parenting class that helped with that, but budget cuts.

She should see what they look like when they try to run in shoes so small that their toes are folded over like in foot binding (coach keeps an eye out for that type of gait and gives them new shoes and socks. I went to BOGO sale and got 10 pair for her) Oh and their pants run from Steve Urkle to them slipping in my room instead of going to the gym in the morning, so I can zip tie their pants so they don't drop off their bodies. I take in the pants that way and snip off the edges of the zip ties. Then they can manage the belt to keep their pants up. (They take what they can get from clothing drives) The little guy in my class, is 1/2 the size of his next biggest brother and no one gets new clothes.

Some of their parents made bad choices, others got hurt and didn't have insurance, other's lost their jobs and have no education to get another. WHatever the cause the kid don't deserve to have to pay.

Thank Sweetie for me from my kids.

You're welcome. The prequel discussion, about race relations and abortion , was the stuff of legend.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

RubyCat

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
This year was pretty much a bust. There was a lot of family drama stuff that took a lot of my time and energy this past year. I was happy to be there for them, but it didn't leave much left for other things. The Christmas cards never got sent. The gift shopping was finished at the last minute. Money was a little bit tight. But it all got done. Then I was sick for Christmas Eve and missed the family get together. And had to work Christmas Day.  :-(

Next year, I plan on starting earlier and giving smaller gifts.  We didn't decorate this year but I've already begun buying decorations on clearance so that I'll have some new shiny things to hang on the tree.  :-)