Author Topic: Holiday revelations from your family  (Read 3258 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Holiday revelations from your family
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
It was great getting to see my family (parents, DB & SIL, and DS & her boyfriend) for Christmas this year.  It drove home how many things I don't get to talk to them about anymore.  This year's weirdest revelation: my brother is apparently coaching basketball.  He teaches at a smallish private school, and they lost their basketball coach, so they pressed him into it.  He's never played basketball, never been a particular fan of basketball, and doesn't know much about it.  His primary qualification is that he went to Duke (American university with a very good basketball team).  It absolutely cracks me up, but apparently they've actually won a few games and he enjoys it  :P

So in the spirit of random and amusing eHell threads - what's the funniest/best/weirdest thing you learned about your loved ones this season?

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
Re: Holiday revelations from your family
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
I found out my sister-in-law was a ballet dancer for years, just like me, and we had even danced some of the same parts.

nuit93

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:18 PM »
I found out that there's so many remarriages and uncertain paternities on my dad's side of the family that finding anything out about my lineage on that side would be a nightmare.

Joy.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:54:58 PM »
Found out that Mom's family is apparently related to the poet, Robert Burns.

The family story is that that great-great-great-great (etc.) grandmother - a.k.a. his "girl friend" - was also messing around with his brother & his father - so HOW closely we are related is known only to God, as the girl friend had no idea.....and a DNA match might not be real informative, either.  Too many generations removed....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »
Well, it wasn't exactly a revelation to me, because I'd known it for a while, but it was to an uncle of Cabbage and me.

Uncle was visiting us, and Grandma, Uncle, and I were making dinner. Meanwhile, Grandpa, Dad, and Cabbage were having a discussion about Bach, and Mom was in another room. Cabbage started adding to the discussion, and Uncle whipped around, looking confused. You see, Cabbage and Mom sound so alike that even our mom's own brother mistook their voices. It took me a solid two years (from 16 - 18) to be able to tell them apart, and I live with them both for at least part of the year.

Cabbage still vehemently denies the similarity, but Uncle's reaction proves my point.  :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
This happened decades ago but it still makes me scratch my head. 

Older family members were discussing something in the past and an Aunt came out with, 'Oh yes, that happened around the time when Dad went blind'.
 :o

My Grandfather died when I was 21. He was in his late 80s.  Yes, he needed glasses to read but he was certainly not blind. 

As it turns out, he was injured in an industrial accident some time  during the 1930s and was blind for about six months as a result.  I never found out the details but that remark was certainly a conversation stopper. 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 07:50:30 PM »

The family story is that that great-great-great-great (etc.) grandmother - a.k.a. his "girl friend" - was also messing around with his brother & his father - so HOW closely we are related is known only to God, as the girl friend had no idea.....and a DNA match might not be real informative, either.  Too many generations removed....

How do, potential cousin! According to family tradition, a distant Burns ancestor on my father's side of the family descends from the Bard of Scotland.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:34:16 PM »

Cousin!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Sanity Lost

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
Cousin!

Cool! More Cousins! I am a direct descendent of Robert Burns on my Fathers side, from his 3rd son I believe.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »
Rabbis Burns was quite the philanderer so I've been led to believe, so there will be many of his progeny around the world. ;)

Victoria

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
Not so much a holiday revelation but I found out that a great-great-great(?) uncle fought in the Irish brigade during the civil war.

Meanwhile I'd like to know more about one of my great-grandmothers, my paternal grandfather's mother.  She died when Grandpa was 16 I believe and oddly, some of her grandchildren aren't even sure of her name, though they're pretty sure it was Brigid, as they know it was a very common Irish name. 

I had to laugh though when I learned my Italian relatives hailed from Sicily, as the first thing I thought of was Sofia Patrillo saying "Picture this: Sicily! 1910!"
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Nikko-chan

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
Saturday we went to a Christmas party with the whole entire family. Family I only see once a year, as well as the family I see every holiday. Well, I sat with one of my cousins, we'll call him Matthew. Matthew and I were talking, and I mentioned Doctor Who. Turns out he's a Whovian!

Why no we didn't talk about Doctor Who the whole entire time we sat next to each other at the table, why do you ask?  ;)

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 11:26:46 PM »
I found out I have cousins my age who no one in the family ever met because some one, who is now long gone, didn't want us to know their dad, also now deceased. I need more details!  But next year we are inviting them to the Christmas party. :)

shadowfox79

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2013, 05:44:58 AM »
While talking to my mother about my trip to London earlier this year, I mentioned we had taken the tube to Wimbledon to meet a friend. This had been while the tennis was taking place, and I had been surprised to discover that if you want to go to the Wimbledon tournament you actually get off a stop earlier, at Southfields.

My mother's response was "Oh yes, I used to live in Southfields and I remember all the crowds at the tube station."

This may not sound like much, but Mum has been blind for the last twenty years, so much of our conversation involves things she's never seen. It was great to be able to talk to her about something that was new to me but that she had actually seen.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Saw a bit of Miracle on 34th Street with my parents.  And mom told me a story I had never heard before: apparently my maternal grandmother was engaged to another man when she met my grandfather!  She knew she liked this new guy, but didn't want to let anything develop because she had a fiance already.  She went to visit her fiance's family over Christmas, and she went with him to see Miracle on 34th Street in the theater.  He hated it.  And apparently my grandmother realized, sitting there in the theater, that this new guy she met (my grandfather) had a MUCH better sense of humor, and was more fun to be around, and she really didn't want to marry her fiance anyway.  So she broke up with him and went back to college the next semester and started dating my grandfather and the rest is history  :P

(And yes, my grandfather really is a funny guy.  He was a pastor for years and even now in his eighties he still loves good clean humor and making everyone feel comfortable and making people laugh.  I'm pretty sure my grandmother made a good choice!)