Author Topic: Holiday revelations from your family  (Read 3265 times)

cwm

Re: Holiday revelations from your family
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 01:07:49 PM »
According to my dad (told by my sister), we're related to English royalty. Because he used ancestry.com to trace our lineage back to the 1600s.  ::)  Actually, he claims to have traced it back to the 1100s, but considering he doesn't know how to use the geneaology resources in our local library, let alone an actual geneaological library, I take it all with a huge chunk of salt.

If the knowledge had come from my great-aunt, I'd trust it. She and one of her sons have done actual geneaological reasearch into our family and have actually published books about the Civil War with their research. But coming from my dad's own research? Sorry, no.

I also learned that my boyfriend's cousin is good friends with one of the boys from the improv troupe I follow. BF's cousin's dad is also good friends with improv boy's mom. Who knew?

Also, revelation about my family that I arrived it when I didn't spend time with them. It's possible to have an entire holiday celebration without anyone screaming and with no drama. This was a first.

Mollie

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
If you have European blood, then you are likely desended from royalty. Familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/royal_descent

Shalamar

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »
This goes back a few years to when the original Star Wars trilogy had been re-released in the theatres with new/revised footage. (The infamous "Greedo shot first" thing.)  My then 12-year-old nephew mentioned seeing the movies at the theatre recently.  I said "Yeah, I loved seeing those movies at the theatre."  He eyed me with disbelief and said "YOU like Star Wars?"  I said "Um, when I say that I saw them at the theatre, I'm talking about the original releases in the 70's and 80's when I was about your age.  And I don't 'like' Star Wars.  I LOVE it."

cwm

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2013, 03:45:19 PM »
If you have European blood, then you are likely desended from royalty. Familypedia.wikia.com/wiki/royal_descent

This could be the case, but I don't trust ancestry.com as the sole source of tracing ancestry back to the 16th century. Past that and back into the 10th century is even more tenuous. I don't doubt that I could be descended from royalty, I mostly doubt my dad and his research and methodology.

Until he left my mom, he was so proud of being from a working-stock Irish family that was so poor their names may or may not have been recorded in parish records. The French line of the family that led great-aunt and cousin into Civil War research was from common stock, nothing even remotely noble about them. I grew up hearing about how common my dad's family waas, and how proud he was to have nothing to do with any sort of nobility, despite what the actual historians and geneaologists of the family were actually saying. All of a sudden within a few years he's finding all these royal connections and still ignoring what the family geneaologists are saying, going off and doing his own thing.

I'm not joking about family geneaologists, either. Our family tree was well documented and traced back before ancestry.com was ever advertised, and dad ignores all of it in favor of his own special worldview.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 04:20:40 PM »
Rabbis Burns was quite the philanderer so I've been led to believe, so there will be many of his progeny around the world. ;)

SO, "Relatives of Robby Burns" is not exactly what you'd call a club with strict requirements to get in - as there are so very many scions of that family?

Although my maternal grandfather did use the term "S.O.B." when referring to that side of his ancestry - as he was working in oil fields as a petroleum engineer and bad language was more a way of making sure people knew that you were SERIOUS rather than an affront to the ladies (not many ladies out there pre-WWII) - afterward, well, if someone tried to embarrass the preacher with their language...they could NOT do it as he'd been a petroleum engineer first and really was the descendent of a child of an unwed mother.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

green.and.blue

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I told my dad I'd joined a choir and that the director was really funny and light-hearted. He grumbled and said that if he'd had a dirctor like that, he'd still be with the symphony. First I'd heard of it! My brother hadn't either. Apparently when he and my mom were dating, he'd played a variety of percussion instruments in a large-city symphony, but quit because everyone was "so stuffy". We listened to the vinyl record - very cool. I'd know my dad played folk music gigs (guitar and voice) but hadn't know this.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »
Saw a bit of Miracle on 34th Street with my parents.  And mom told me a story I had never heard before: apparently my maternal grandmother was engaged to another man when she met my grandfather!  She knew she liked this new guy, but didn't want to let anything develop because she had a fiance already.  She went to visit her fiance's family over Christmas, and she went with him to see Miracle on 34th Street in the theater.  He hated it.  And apparently my grandmother realized, sitting there in the theater, that this new guy she met (my grandfather) had a MUCH better sense of humor, and was more fun to be around, and she really didn't want to marry her fiance anyway.  So she broke up with him and went back to college the next semester and started dating my grandfather and the rest is history  :P

(And yes, my grandfather really is a funny guy.  He was a pastor for years and even now in his eighties he still loves good clean humor and making everyone feel comfortable and making people laugh.  I'm pretty sure my grandmother made a good choice!)

One of my great-great grandmother's on mother's side of the family had two suitors in the 1870s or so (not too long after the War Between the States).  Both of them brought her young mares broken to saddle as a courting gift (apparently one that accepting was about one quarter step from being engaged, as horses were expensive and wedding rings only were the custom - not a pair of rings). 

One mare had not only been broken to saddle, but her spirit had been broken as well.  GGGrandma tactfully broke the news to that suitor that her affections had settled on someone else.

The other mare had a bright & merry eye, apparently looked GGGrandma over and approved of how good she'd look sitting on the mare's back in the saddle, and didn't spook when a leaf blew by (so - not skittish).  That suitor became known the family as GGGrandpa.  And family anecdotes showed GGGrandma was a spirited & happy woman for the rest of HER days....I assume the mare was, too!

blueyzca01

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
I found out that my little sis did NOT like our paternal grandmother.

I was in shock. I kept saying, "But she was so awesome.  How on earth could you not have liked her?!?!?!" 

Sis is 9 years younger than me, so by the time I left for college she was only 9.  Apparently Grandma wasn't very patient with little kids as she got older...

I was still stunned to hear that someone in our family didn't adore her. 
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
Not this year but over the years

My maternal grandparents eloped because she was Prodestant and He was Catholic. Her family didn't speak to her for some time after. It shocked me that my cousins didn't know this, they were explaining why Nanna was so upset with youngest aunt for eloping. I shrugged and said she didn't have a leg to stand on since she had done the same. Blew their minds.

My paternal grandparents eloped because her family wanted her to go to University like her sisters. (this was late 1920's). They snuck out to Fort Bend County (were living near to were the Houston Holocost Museum stands now) came home to their parents' houses and didn't tell anyone they were married for a month. Why they didn't go down to Harris County court house a few blocks away, I don't know. Suspect that they were afraid a clerk or judge would call their parents. I don't know much about Grandfather's family, but my Grandmother's Dad had been city engineer up to his death about 4 years before the elopement.

My younger 3 maternal uncles and Boys from other mixed marriage were followed home from school one day by some girls. The girls teased them by saying an obsene version of the Hail Mary (obsene for early 1960's small town). The boys tied them to a tree and threated to tar and feather them. The boys were going to go back and untie them - but their mothers caught up with them and they were in trouble for something else. The girls got loose, went home with their tale of woe. When their parents found out about the rhyme they were marched  to both homes and made to apologize for being profane. The boys did get in trouble but the girls' parents were more upset about the religious insult.

Mom came home from her first day of school with her left hand swollen to 3x its normal size. She had been beaten for writing with her left hand (roughly 1942). Nanna took her to Pop's work, then to Uncle Press (the local doctor). Pop went to the school and let the teachers and principal know that if anyone ever laid a finger on one of his kids again heaven and hell would rain down. The injury was soft tissue no bones broken. The school never used physical disipline on any of my aunts and uncle after that - My grandparents kept a tight reign on their own kids, even the hell raisers didn't cause trouble in school.

One that shocks me is how many of my cousins believe their parents always toed the line, when they were legendary hell raisers. All Mom's siblings would say Mom was the biggest rule follower, but I still know about hell she raised. Like scaring her Aunt to the point of tears by convincing her the house was haunted by putting milk bottles in the windows so the sea breeze created a moaning sound, and sending younger relatives to move things around in a room while the others kept aunt distracted.

Oh My oldest aunt and oldest uncle used to sell tickets to people to come listen to Mom breathe when she was recovering from asthma attacks. Mom found out instead of telling she demanded a cut.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 09:14:39 AM »
I had almost forgotten about this, as it is more of an irritation than a revelation.

I've briefly mentioned somewhere on Ehell about my mother's cousin. Cousin ran off as a teen and was (supposedly) never heard from again. There were other odd things about that family as well. So at one of the holiday gatherings, Mother mentions Cousin. Actually she got quite chatty about Cousin and her exploits. Cousin has moved long distances several times, has been married twice, and inherited all her parents' money (only child) when her mother died, which was not that long ago. She has now spent it all.

That's a heck of a story for someone that no one has heard from.

I asked Mother (trying to grit my teeth and say it nicely) why she would say that no one has heard from Cousin when they obviously have. They would have to know where she is to tell her she's inherited money, at the very least! And from the sounds of it, her parents might have gone to at least one of her weddings, and she might have gone to their funerals. Heck, she might have been the one to arrange the funerals for all I know.

Mother, of course, insisted that she hadn't. She doesn't know where cousin is, she doesn't even know cousin's last name!! Cue drama, up until Mother was distracted by something else.

I'm disgusted with myself, mostly. I should know better. She lies about anything and everything, and she loves drama. Why would this be any different? Ugh. I shouldn't listen to this stuff. I really shouldn't. :-[
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »
One that shocks me is how many of my cousins believe their parents always toed the line, when they were legendary hell raisers.

When my Dad and his brother get together these days, there is always a lot of reminiscing going on.  And I now know that natural selection does not work.  If it did, I wouldn't be here.  Dad should have died about 10 times over during his childhood from the stupid stunts he'd pulled.

My favourite story:  He and his brother lit a fire.  Doesn't sound so bad, right?  Except they lit it under the dining room table!  Because uncle was older, he was the one going to get the beating so their father sent my Dad to the basement to get a stick of wood to beat uncle with.  Grandpa was a very smart man; he knew Dad would take a long time choosing the perfect stick.  Not so big that his brother would be mad at him and perhaps beat him up later and not so small that his father would be mad at him and add him into the beating, too.  By the time Dad got back upstairs, Grandpa had had time to cool down a little and it was just a regular licking, not a beating.

Now, I know corporal punishment is frowned upon these days but if my hypothetical child(ren) lit a fire IN THE HOUSE (and not in a fireplace), I think I'd have a hard time not giving them a spanking.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
Not this year, but over the years I have learned......

That my great-grandma on my mother's side was a Madam.  With a house and everything.  I think this is way cooler than having a horse thief in my past!

On my father's side, my great-grandma's last name is Clemens, as in a cousin of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain).   And her first name is the same as mine (Jane).   I'm Jane, my aunt is Jane, my grandmother is Jane, and my great-grandmother was Jane.  My brother may be Charles the Third, but I'm the 4th Jane!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
A friend of mine mentioned that her ex-husband's great grandmother(? grandmother?) was notorious where he'd come from as Al Capone's ex-GF and a madame with a lot of property & money from her "working days".  His mother managed to spend it all with seven weddings (three to her ex-husband's father); helping her kids get started in life & paying for some divorces for them, too; and when she died her other kids were upset to find that all the money was gone, so they turned to her husband to ask for HIS money...

Not the reason she divorced him - but one of many reasons she was not missing him, his siblings & their dramas.