Author Topic: New Year's Day Open House  (Read 1115 times)

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
New Year's Day Open House
« on: December 29, 2013, 03:59:28 PM »
Growing up, my family and I were often invited to New Year's Day open houses. I love the laid back gatherings, so I thought I'd start the tradition here on the West Coast. Thanks to the holidays, only 10 people or so will be attending, between 11 and 4. I'm vegetarian and would like to keep the menu that way, but I also have vegans and friends with celiac coming, including some children. What do you think of what I've got so far?

veggies and dip
fruit plate
cheese plate
crackers, both regular and vegan/gluten-free
vegan chili, with a variety of toppings, including cheese, olives, jalapenos, sour cream
gluten-free  (not vegan)
black-eyed pea salad (for wisdom! also both gluten free and vegan)
collard green salad (for wealth! also both gluten free and vegan)
coffee cake
gluten free chocolate chip cookies
vegan bourbon balls

For drinks, I was going to keep it simple and offer coffee, tea, hot & cold cider, and water.

Also, I was going to set up a table with board games and a corner with craft supplies for the kids.

Amara

Re: New Year's Day Open House
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:14:19 PM »
I think it sounds perfect. The vegan chili will work for everyone and they can season it to taste. And it's very thought of you to add the games and crafts corner.

What time should I be there?  ;D

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
Sounds great.

I might skip the black-eyed pea salad because you've already got beans covered in the chili...and that's a lot of fiber in one meal. Instead, what about a cooked vegetable that can be served room temperature (roasted asparagus, or roasted cauliflower+fennel with curry powder, both with EVOO).

It sounds like plenty, even too much, for 10 people. But they're all leftovers you'd be glad to have!

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:31:49 PM »
Sounds great.

I might skip the black-eyed pea salad because you've already got beans covered in the chili...and that's a lot of fiber in one meal. Instead, what about a cooked vegetable that can be served room temperature (roasted asparagus, or roasted cauliflower+fennel with curry powder, both with EVOO).

It sounds like plenty, even too much, for 10 people. But they're all leftovers you'd be glad to have!

The black eyed pea salad is a must. What about subbing out the chili with vegetable soup?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 07:09:53 PM »
I certainly wouldn't mind any of those left-overs.  It's also possible to make a very nice vegan chili without beans.  Exterminator Chili in NYC used to make a delicious version based on sweet potatoes. 

It's an axiom in my family that what you do on New Year's Day, you will do for the rest of the year.  I can think of worse ways to celebrate than with good friends and good food. 

The craft corner for the children is an excellent idea, BTW. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:07:53 PM »
Lovely! I would add rice for the chili ( it's GF) or corn bread/muffins ( if the can be made GF)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
Sounds great.

The black eyed pea salad is a must. What about subbing out the chili with vegetable soup?

I'd personally prefer the vegetable soup to the chili- probably because my experience with vegan chili was a massive overdose of beans and soy, neither of which I can have.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

NyaChan

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
I don't think the chili with black-eyed peas is overkill.  One is like a main, the other is tradition.

Zizi-K

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:46:49 PM »
I don't think the chili with black-eyed peas is overkill.  One is like a main, the other is tradition.

Oh, I didn't realize that. Have both then! Or Veggie soup. A corn chowder or a split pea soup could also be a good wintery warm dish to have on hand. It would be hard to make a vegan corn chowder (at least for me), but vegan split pea is easy peasy.

Mikayla

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
I think your menu sounds fine, and I wouldn't switch out the chili to another dish.  If bean overload makes you twitchy, I really liked the idea of subbing in sweet potatoes.  I've also seen peanuts used as a substitute.