Author Topic: boston  (Read 266 times)

kaybee

boston
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:35 AM »
i have 2 days in boston.........am stying in brookline.......suggestions of something to do....not the freedom trail........

crella

Re: boston
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:45 AM »
Have you seen the USS Constitution?  If you have transportation, the Mayflower and Plymouth Plantation are an hour's drive away...north to Gloucester and the scenery is beautiful, and Hammond Castle (built in 1929 I think) is up there. Have you been to the Museum of Fine Arts?

I've been away quite a while, and I suppose a lot has changed. Someone else may have some ideas for in-town activities.

kaybee

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:57 AM »
no car....museum of fine arts is a possibility.........

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 06:45:15 AM »
Museum of Science? Boston Aquarium?

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 07:11:01 AM »
It might help if you tell us what you like to do in general. "Not the Freedom Trail," but are you interested in history, art, baseball?

My favorites in Boston are the Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum, the Sam Adams Brewery Tour, the Harvard Museum, and of course, Fenway Park. The Mapparium is worth a visit too, if you've never been there.

RubyCat

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 07:15:24 AM »
The Museum of Fine Arts is amazing. I keep meaning to go back and never do.

I think the house that JFK was born in is in Brookline. His museum is out at Harbor Point near UMass Boston and access alb by public transportation.

The Boston Common and Boston Public Garden are beautiful this time of year. I was driving past it a couple weeks ago and the trees and flowers were gorgeous. There are many fountains and statues. And you can ride the Swan Boats  :)

The New England Aquarium is nice. You could take a harbor cruise (from Rowe's Warf, I think) or go out to some of the Boston Harbor islands.

There's an observatory at the top of the John Hancock Building.

What kind of things do you normally like to see and do?

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 08:57:57 AM »
Off the top of my head:

Isabella Stewart Gardener museum. A random collection of objects that Mrs. Gardener found on her travels in Europe--paintings by the masters, tapestries, ceramics, floors, walls, fireplaces, wrought iron gates, snuff boxes, you name it--all gathered into a house she designed along the lines of an Italian villa. The gardens are lovely, and the story of her life is fascinating.

Very close to it is the Museum of Fine Arts.

Fenway Park, which offers a behind-the-scenes tour on non-game days, is also in that area, as is the Fenway Rose Garden.

Moving closer to downtown, in the Boyleston Street area, there's the Boston Public Library. They give free tours of the art and architecture of the old building, which had paintings and sculptures by several famous artists. The old part of the library fronts onto Copley Square, where street artists and open markets are held in the summer.

There's lots of interesting shopping and window shopping on Newbury Street, one block over. And a lot of other shopping in the general area.

Downtown, there's the Public Garden and the Swan Boats, the Boston Common, the downtown shopping area, Beacon Hill with lots of old houses, the State House where you can take a tour, the Duck Tours which give you a tour of the city and then plunge into either the Charles River or the harbor in amphibious vehicles, and more shopping.

Over by City Hall, there's Quincy Market with lots of restaurants and more shopping.

Plus the Aquarium (great penguin exhibit), the Children's Museum (if you will have kids along), the Science Museum.

If you have time, you can go over the river to Cambridge--Harvard, more shops, MIT museum, tons more historical sites.

I'd advise getting a day pass for the T, and using public transportation to get around. On-street parking is scarce and parking garages charge over $30 a day. And with the plethora of one-way streets that never go in the direction you want, driving is a hassle.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn