Author Topic: Seattle vs New York  (Read 1832 times)

Snooks

Seattle vs New York
« on: December 29, 2013, 04:09:47 PM »
We're going to Seattle next year and we were thinking of adding a stop in New York to break the journey home to the UK.  It looks like we can do an overnight flight from Seattle to New York so the question is which city to spend more time in Seattle or New York.  We've got a week so it's either three days in Seattle and four in New York or vice versa.  Does anyone have any tips/opinions?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Seattle vs New York
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
I haven't been to Seattle in ages but there is much to do just as it is in NYC.

I think it depends on interests and time of year.

Is it a twosome or family? Do you have interest in outdoor activities?

Snooks

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:46:52 PM »
Just me and DH.  it'll be mid-July and we're probably more city based sight seeing things but any suggestions welcome.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 06:11:07 PM »
Just me and DH.  it'll be mid-July and we're probably more city based sight seeing things but any suggestions welcome.

Then I might spend more time in NYC.

But fun Seattle things other than the standard
Kayaking on Lake Union
Take a ferry to Bainbridge Island
Drive up to Snoqualmine Falls
Take a float plane to the San Juan Islands

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »
I live in NYC so what I say should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Seattle is a beautiful place with wonderful food and plenty to do but, if you want concentrated 'city' NYC is your best bet.  There are plenty of  iconic places here and many of them are within an easy walk of each other.  In a little under two hours you can see Herald Square, the Empire State Building,    Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, the New York Public Library, St. Patrick's Cathedral and Rockefeller Center.  Along the way there are great ethnic places to eat. 

Why yes, I am prejudiced.   ::)

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »
Seattle.  I love New York but am not a huge fan of it's summer weather.  Plus Seattle is amazing - great food, really interesting history, amazing coffee, and great out door activities

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 11:55:24 PM »
Think about jet lag, and what sort of shape you'll be in--maybe you'd be better off with a longer stay in one or the other.

As you can tell, I live in NYC. I know nothing about Seattle.

NYC is a very "city" experience, as Thipu1 says. And you can see a LOT in a short time, because so much is actually close together. You do not need a car to get anywhere.

I would expect Seattle's big draw to be its greenness, and parks. And you'd need a car.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 12:22:23 AM »
Seattle is very public transit friendly - but it's much more bus centered than NYC or DC.  http://www.seattle.gov/html/citizen/transit.htm  I've spent several weeks in total in Seattle without a car - including during a wedding, with a newborn, and once we did Seattle and Vancouver with no car.  I would say Seattle is as easy or easier to get around without a car as Boston or DC, and easier than San Francisco.  There's a lot to do - http://www.visitseattle.org/Home.aspx

And I love New York too!

Snooks

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 05:49:46 AM »
Thanks guys.  We'll be on Seattle time for at least a week first because we're going on a cruise starting from there. Wetend to have busy vacations and try to see as much as possible during the day then we crash in the evenings. Food isn't a huge draw for us but things to see are. I'm assuming we'll need a full day to do The Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island in New York so I'm trying to factor that in.

bonyk

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »
I assume you're crushing to Alaska?  If so, I recommend you spend more time in NY.  I did the Alaska cruise a few years ago, and had planned to see some of the Seattle area nature after we returned.  Well, by the time we got back I was pretty much natured-out, and was done with boat rides and like. 

You definitely need a full day for Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
I agree with bonyk. 

An Alaska cruise is wonderful but it isn't terribly restful.  Most of the ships take the inside passage.  The shore is almost always visible from the ship and people will be out on the decks all day looking for wildlife and pointing out bears to anyone around.   After a week or two of concentrated nature, you might find NYC refreshing. 

In July, NYC weather can feel like a large cat sitting on your face but that isn't always the case. 

You will probably want a whole day to do the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island because the boats work on a triangular route and it's easy to get the timing wrong.   

If you have a spare day in NYC, I would suggest considering a visit to Governor's Island. The name comes from the fact that it was a country retreat for the Governors of New York during the colonial period.   

It's a lovely place that offers the best views of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan. I haven't seen the summer schedule posted but there's  plenty of history and lots of relaxing,  fun things to do.  You can catch free passage to the island from either the Battery in Manhattan or Brooklyn.  At the end of an extended holiday, anything free is welcome. 

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:41:19 AM by Thipu1 »

angilamae

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Seattle.  It's beautiful that time of year.  Plus there is tons of stuff to do just outside of it.  And no you don't need a car here.  There is pretty decent public transit (busses, trains).  I'm a bit partial though. 

I can resist everything except temptation-Oscar Wilde

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:54:40 AM »
If you buy your Statue of Liberty tickets online (!!!!), and you get up and get out there early, you could have the 2nd half of the afternoon free. I wouldn't plan on it, but you might end up finished before you realized.

We went a few years ago, and I bought the tickets online. We saved ourselves easily 2 hours by having done so. I don't know if more people have wised up, but I was amazed. The security guard on the line said, "Who was the genius who bought the tickets ahead of time?"

Glad to hear all the corrections about not needing a car in Seattle. That's way cool!
  (Most other cities I've been to, even Mpls, w/ its decent-ish buses, you can only get to a few limited places w/ the bus.)

Snooks

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 02:12:37 PM »
Seattle.  It's beautiful that time of year.  Plus there is tons of stuff to do just outside of it.  And no you don't need a car here.  There is pretty decent public transit (busses, trains).  I'm a bit partial though.

What are the must sees in the city? I figure the space needle and we can usually find some museums to visit but am I missing anything else quintessentially Seattle? I know it probably sounds lazy but I like the idea of easy sightseeing with minimal planning.  We've done sightseeing using public transport and it tends to make me stressed working out the logistics.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
I think Pikes Place Market is a must. And we did an "Underground Seattle" tour once that was really fun and interesting about the history of Seattle. And the Museum of Flight was very nice.