Author Topic: Seattle vs New York  (Read 1636 times)

Kukla

Re: Seattle vs New York
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
There is a lot to see and do in Seattle:
 the Underground tour,
Chihuly Glass Garden at the Seattle Center. 
The Seattle center is also where you'd find the EMP, Space Needle and the Science Center. 
The Center for Wooden Boats which is near the Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI).
The Seattle Art Museum, and the Asian Art Museum as well as the Wing Luke Museum.
Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe (must say hi to Sylvia and Sylvester the mummies)
If you like books, Elliot Bay Boooks is an awesome bookstore.  There are also tons of used bookstores all over the city.
If you like cook books, The Book Larder is a bookstore dedicated to cook books and food writing, it's in Fremont easy bus ride from downtown Seattle.

That's all I could come up with off the top of my head.   What kind of things do you like to do when you travel? 

Snooks

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 03:15:49 PM »
The underground tour looks fun and I'll look into the other suggestions.  Really do appreciate it :)

As for the sort of things we like to do we tend towards museums and sights.  Thinking back on our last few trips we've been done bus tours (hop on hop off ones), breweries (just realising we've been to a lot of breweries...), city walking tours, various museums (chocolate, tulip, houseboat, pasta, railway, social history - Anne Frank's House, Eagle's Nest area, James Cook's House, Checkpoint Charlie), general tourist attractions (Alcatraz, Tower of London, salt mines, towers, zoos).

Not particularly a fan of "off the beaten path" stuff, art galleries or anything involving wax works.  Military and maritime stuff I'm 50:50 on because it depends on the details.

Ideas for Seattle and New York welcome.  New York I think we've come up with Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (will look into Governor's Island), the Highline (possibly), Empire State Building, Radio City Music Hall tour.  Seattle is the Seattle Center for the Space Needle and EMP (if the Lego exhibit stays on), Underground tour, Pike's Place Market.

Snooks

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
We're starting to look at hotels for Seattle, we're looking at Courtyard Marriott for the night of 4th July (hoping to stumble out the hotel and watch the fireworks before the jetlag kicks in) and the Moore Hotel for post cruise sight seeing.  I've read reviews on Trip Advisor which look ok (and prices are reasonable), if anyone who knows Seattle has any better suggestions I'd really appreciate them.

jmarvellous

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 05:32:33 PM »
I spent 8 days each in Seattle and NYC a few years ago, and I could go back to NYC many more times before I got everything I wanted to see in (and have), whereas I think 8 days in Seattle was more than enough to see all the basics (most of the stuff mentioned is walkable in the space of a day -- or three, if you're not packed-days types).

So my vote is definitely for more time in NYC, especially if you're going on a NW US cruise before your land-based tourism. I found  the Ellis Island trip a BIG time consumer, as was the Met. We recently went to Manhattan and spent 3/4 of our day in the Met and could've done it every day for a week!

Olena

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 05:54:21 PM »
I was born and raised in the NW so I might be a bit biased... but if you are a fan of soccer Seattle has one of the best major league soccer teams in the US (Go Sounders!!!). The games are great to watch and tons of fun to be apart of. Prior to the games we would typically meet in Pioneer Square and march with their team band to the stadium. In the summer when you are up in the stadium you can see the entire city skyline and if you look west you'll have one of the most amazing sunsets over the Puget Sound and Olympic mountains. It is breathtaking. If you want to take in a baseball game there is the Seattle Mariners as well.

Also, the ferry system is great to take out to the San Juan islands for day trips and a couple of other neat neighborhoods to take in are Capitol Hill, Ballard, and Freemont (which are easy to get to by bus).

The seafood is great! I am not sure what fish are running during the time you'll be there but regardless, you'll have some awesome food. One of my favorite restaurants is Chinooks on the fisherman's wharf. :)

Are you thinking about venturing out into the Cascade Mts or the Olympic Peninsula? It is pretty much an hour each way (a bit longer if you are heading west to the peninsula). If so, that opens up a whole new avenue of stuff to do - hiking, mountain biking, etc.

mich3554

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 03:46:48 PM »
Seattle's going to be gorgeous that time of year, NYC will be hot.

If this is the first time in either city, I don't think that you can do either justice in 3-4 days and appreciate them.  I'd probably be inclined to make a decision on one city or the other than then plan on returning to spend a week in the other city.

As I live in the PNW, I'm just a little biased.  But my family's from NY.

JMHO

Snooks

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 04:30:52 AM »
We settled on 3 full days in Seattle and 4 in New York. I think we'll do the city pass for Seattle, New York I want to go to Ellis Island and Radio City Music Hall.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 08:45:36 AM »
Perhaps you'd be in Seattle when the Mariners are in town and could get tickets.  That looks like a fun stadium.

Frog24

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2014, 02:58:03 PM »
Don't forget that from Seattle, you can take the Clipper and a few hours later, you're in Victoria, BC.  There's lots to do here, too.  :D