General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Clearing out FB friends during job hunt

(1/26) > >>

Adelaide:
I'm starting to apply for jobs and I have quite a few friends who post questionable content on facebook. Whether it's posts filled with swear words, nude modelling shots, a girl with severe depression posting her constant "life is awful and everything is terrible" statuses, party pictures, or what have you, I know a lot of this stuff wouldn't be appropriate on my facebook and is not the sort of thing my employers want to see or want me associating with. I'm about to unfriend a massive amount of people and I'm not sure what I should do or say. I don't want anyone's feelings to get hurt but I have to do this for my potential job opportunities.

Deleting facebook is not an option right now as it's the only way that I can keep up with some of my overseas relatives. Should I post a status saying something like "Sorry for the blanket un-friending, message  me if you don't have my phone number" (and I'd need help with the exact wording) or should I just do it without comment?

ETA: Unfriending these people in my only option, I just need to know how to do it gracefully, as not to hurt anyone's feelings. Any advice or ways to word a message (should I send one) would be appreciated.

ladymaureen:
No need to winnow the friends list. Just change each problem person so you can't see their status updates. Problem solved, no? If you never see the updates, you cannot interact with them and have that interaction show up on your news feeds.

Unless there's something I don't understand, this will solve the problem without hurting anyone's feelings.

Oh yes -- change it so you have to approve each post to your wall before it shows up on your wall. Just in case you have people who post questionable content to your wall.

Adelaide:

--- Quote from: ladymaureen on December 30, 2013, 10:10:02 PM ---No need to winnow the friends list. Just change each problem person so you can't see their status updates. Problem solved, no? If you never see the updates, you cannot interact with them and have that interaction show up on your news feeds.

Unless there's something I don't understand, this will solve the problem without hurting anyone's feelings.

--- End quote ---

The issue isn't that I can't see them, the issue is that I'm friends, and therefore associated with them. Deleting them is the only thing that will take care of this.

Bales:
Do you have to unfriend them?  Can't you just ensure your privacy settings are secure?  If you're not responding to those posts, I don't think they'd be associated with you even if you were found by an employer.  They would only see what you post.  Someone more FB savvy can weigh in, but I think there is a feature where you can see how your profile would be viewed by an "outsider."

In any case, I personally don't like the "clearing my friend list" posts and would rather just be cut loose.  Those that you are truly close, too, though, you can send a private message to let them know you are just tidying up while looking for work and hope they understand.

Ceallach:
I don't understand how what your friends are posting impacts you - are they tagging you in these posts?   Posting directly to your wall?   As an employer I would care about photos or posts you had personally made that might reflect negatively on you, but as I don't have access to your newsfeed I wouldn't see or know what your friends post.  Even if I went to the effort of going through your friends list and checking out their profiles I would only see the basics, and unless you are applying for really super high security jobs I don't get why anybody would do that!

If you want to delete people, just do it, no explanation necessary.   Because if you delete them then they can't see your explanation post anyway so you'd be apologizing to the people who you didn't delete....  All in all I find this very confusing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version