General Etiquette > Techno-quette

Clearing out FB friends during job hunt

<< < (26/26)

lollylegs:

--- Quote from: veronaz on January 08, 2014, 11:27:06 AM ---I donít see why the focus is on partying and drinking.

The fact is that a lot of people who are in a hiring position have biases about a lot of things.  I know of someone who is a supervisor and she has said she is against interracial relationships.  If an applicant has a FB account and posts pics showing s/he is in an interracial relationship or has a bi-racial child, the hiring authority might (quietly) cross that name off the list.  Same applies to gays, people who belong to a certain religious groupÖÖ.any number of other lifestyle choices.

Iím not a fan of FB, but I know a lot of people are, and if they want to put their personal lives out there, they should know there will be people ii](including but not limited to potential employers)[/i] who are not tolerant of their right to choose how to live their personal lives.

--- End quote ---

:o :o :o :o :o

I hope you reported that supervisor or told her off or something! I can't believe that kind of revolting racism still exists!

katycoo:
My FB is private.  If we're not friends, you can't see my wall.
It is under my married name.  I work under my maiden name.
The email address FB has for me is not one I use for work or job hunting.

I can guarantee no prospective employer would find me on FB, or if they do, find nothing concerning.

And if they DID - I don't want that job.

veronaz:

--- Quote ---I hope you reported that supervisor or told her off or something! I can't believe that kind of revolting racism still exists!
--- End quote ---

I did not work at the company where that supervisor worked - in fact I never met her, and it's just as well.  Her views were relayed to me by a third party.  And I'm not at all surprised that such racism still exists.....but most people are more subtle about it an keep such biases hidden.  Unfortunately they can still do damage behind the scenes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version