Author Topic: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?  (Read 6632 times)

Deetee

• Super Hero!
Re: A Wedding in Six Weeks?!?!?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:37 AM »
And now I'm taking notes as we are throwing a party in a week and a half and it like we should have 40-70 people. We are providing dinner and no caterers so I'm taking all simplify and streamline tips I can.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2014, 01:15:06 PM »
Ok, so we just had our party (70 people including kids). We fed everyone dinner with no caterers and it was a great success.

My advice

Things that worked:

1) Start early. make lists. Make more lists.
2) No really. If something can be done today, do not leave it until the tomorrow. With this, we prepped for the party in a week and half (plus work and school and two kids)
3) We aimed for a casual party where people could arrive anytime after 2. Dinner was served from 3:30-9:00.

4) Food:

Appetisers were very simple. Veggies and dip and chips

I made a collection of salads that were all solid, hearty salads that got better on sitting. This meant that I could make them a day or two in advance (no cooking on day of). I also did vinegerette type dressings and chilled them well before setting them out so that they could sit out the whole time. The hearty salads also meant that the vegetarians could eat well. (we BBQ'd some veggie dogs and mushrooms, but also had two protein rich salads: a bean corn salad and a quinoa-beet-feta)

We also served inside where it was cool so the food could sit out. The meat came off the grill and was brought inside where the buffet table was set up. Plates/knifes/forks/napkins and Salads, cornbread and meat.

Desert was boxes of ice cream bars

5) Paper plates and napkins that could go in the large compost bins

6) Borrowed tables and chairs and shade structure so everyone could sit and eat.

7) Two bins of iced drinks-one of pop and juice, other of beer and cider. We put the recyling bins right next to them, so it was easy for people to clean up. We also had plastic cups near the sink for water. Bottles of water would be easier  of course, but i was already straining my environmental responsibility with the paper plates.

Things I would have done differently.

1) We had the garbage and compost a bit out of the way so all the people didn't put their plates in there. Also, I didn't put out a receptable for the cutlery (mix of metal and plastic). Both  of those would have kept the party tidier. It wasn't bad. I just went through and cleared all the plates in a couple sweeps a few hours in.

2) Start earlier. There were still some things to do on the day of and they just eat up the time. Anything for 70 people is a lot of time.

3) Uh..not have a 1.5 year old in monkey cuddle mode during the party. It was hard to do the wander through and pick up things with the baby attached.

For a 100 that are all eating at the same time? I strongly suggest some hired help. We could serve hot food because not everyone ate at the same time. (If I was serving everyone at the same time-I would have added a cold main-turkey or salmon and kept some BBQ warm in oven. )

Army Mom

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
Yay! The wedding and reception went great!
I did everything ahead of time, no cooking the day of. I was lucky enough to be able to take a weeks vacation before.
But it was a tremendous amount of work that I'm not eager to repeat. My DD caught the bouquet and I offered plane tickets to Vegas and the Elvis chapel when the time comes ;)

CakeEater

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
Oh, how wonderful! More details, please?  :D

Army Mom

« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 12:39:42 PM »
Details:

Lists, lists and more lists!  I structured my whole week around these.

I borrowed every crockpot that I could from the neighbors and slow-cooked 6 pork roasts for pulled pork.  I did that about a week ahead and froze the pork as I went.  I thawed it that morning and put it and the juice (refrigerated separately and skimmed) in a large electric roaster about 2 hours before dinner.
Two days before, I roasted two turkeys, sliced them and made gravy.  Everything into the frig until 2 hours ahead, then also into an electric roaster to heat up. 
Potato salad and cole slaw made up in the days ahead.  I took the bottom drawers out of the refrigerator and stacked the containers.  I made the slaw dressing myself but bought the bagged cabbage mix, MUCH easier.
Bride's family did beef brisket, macaroni salad, jello salad and baked beans and provided all the buns and condiments etc.

Served buffet style, with cake for dessert of course!  We set up the food in the kitchen, with the tables and chairs outside.  The weather cooperated, thank deity.

I borrowed some of the big 5 gallon drink coolers, the kind with the spigot, for tea and lemonade.
Beer and soda by the case, iced in coolers the day of. Plus some other assorted adult beverages ;)

All disposable plates, cutlery and cups and tablecloths.

Mergatroyd

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »
Some grocery stores can make and personalize wedding cakes at short notice. My wedding was planned in six weeks too, and our cake actually came from a grocery store bakery, with yellow and blue roses and the precious moments topper we bought elsewhere. It was quite lovely, tbh.

Obviously this info isn't needed now, but just in case someone else reading is in the same situation! Glad it went well!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2014, 01:45:03 PM »
Congrats!  :D
~Lynn2000

daen

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2014, 05:17:44 PM »
Thank you for the update - and congratulations on pulling off a successful reception and keeping your sanity.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2014, 08:48:54 PM »
Wonderful update! Congratulations to you and family, and I'm glad that it all went well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

gellchom

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
It all sounds terrific!  You did a great job.  You deserve a treat, and I hope you give it to yourself.

Congratulations to you all.

tash112194

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2014, 09:16:47 AM »
My aunt suggested the website "smartyhadaparty.com" to me when I was planning my wedding in my family's barn. You can get plastic silberware and plates that look very fancy...until you pick them up (lol) but it's pretty cheap. Also the "orientaltrading.com" website has some pretty cheap/neat stuff, although I'm not sure how much shipping time there is, so you may need to double check it.