News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 22, 2017, 07:04:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: POD interpretations  (Read 711 times)

Maria16

POD interpretations
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:24:55 PM »
Does POD still apply if someone makes a comment I think I agree with but I extra appreciate bc it's something I never would have thought of myself or completely reverses my prior thinking on the subject. I notice this forum doesn't do "upvoting" so would POD adequately express that sentiment? Or is it unnecessary to express too much enthusiasm over a comment I really like bc that could be construed as ranking behavior and thus, bad etiquette?

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
Re: POD interpretations
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:30:57 PM »
I think a post with only "POD" in the body kinda clutters up a thread.  I wouldn't consider it bad etiquette, though.  Possibly bad netiquette, though, if it spawns lots more posts like that.  Sometimes I do wish there was a like or +1 button.

mime

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
A "like" or "agree" button would be useful. In absence of that I think it is helpful to make a post in agreement with another because it can show that of (for example) five comments, there are eight people who agree with one of them in particular. It can help understand where the majority lies.

Another forum I frequent has a series of buttons at the bottom of each post. They are agree / disagree / educational / funny / hug / huh? (and I think I'm missing one more). They are used all the time and actually really interesting to see.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:24:08 PM »
When I use POD it's because I was going to post something very similar. So instead of repeating it's easier to just do the POD.

If I've ready someone else's comment and it's caused me to view the situation differently, I'll include that in my comments. Something along the lines of "That's a great thought. I would have not considered that angle." I think those types of comments are helpful as it might stir others to re-evaluate their position or thoughts on a subject.

I actually like that this forum doesn't have "like" buttons sometimes. Other tools seem to generate the idea of people competing for "ups" or "likes" to increase their popularity (not sure if that's the right idea I'm going for...maybe recognition is better). I appreciate that this forum doesn't operate in that manner.

LifeOnPluto

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
I've taken "POD" to mean "We're like two peas in a pod; 100% agreement". Generally, I only use it when the other poster has summed up my thoughts exactly. Where the other poster has made a statement that's caused me to consider a new angle, or change my mind, I'm more likely to say something like "Interesting point" (like what Hmmmmm said).

I also don't have any qualms about a simple well-placed "POD". My experience on Etiquette Hell is that it's fairly rare to see a post with multiple posts just saying "POD". Usually, people say "POD", then add a few comments of their own.

sammycat

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 09:16:18 PM »
I've taken "POD" to mean "We're like two peas in a pod; 100% agreement". Generally, I only use it when the other poster has summed up my thoughts exactly. Where the other poster has made a statement that's caused me to consider a new angle, or change my mind, I'm more likely to say something like "Interesting point" (like what Hmmmmm said).

I also don't have any qualms about a simple well-placed "POD". My experience on Etiquette Hell is that it's fairly rare to see a post with multiple posts just saying "POD". Usually, people say "POD", then add a few comments of their own.

Pod.

;D

lowspark

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
It seems like you are specifically asking about the word "POD" right? As opposed to "I agree" or sometimes, "This."

Is POD essentially different than those two or any other way of acknowledging agreement? In my mind, it's not. Those are all the same way of saying the same thing.

And, as has been said above, I seldom see (and probably never use) them with no further comment. I don't think it's bad etiquette to just say "POD" or "I agree". I assume the purpose of such an abbreviated post is to just sort of cast one more vote in favor of the cited opinion.

I usually don't just stop there because, well, I always seem to have more to say!! ;)
Houston 
Texas 
USA