News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 01, 2015, 07:52:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Saw this, immediately thought of you guys  (Read 3025 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Saw this, immediately thought of you guys
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »
Saw this and the updated story is that it's the brides sister and the bride was in on the decision and thought it was a great idea.

I saw the same information with a follow up picture of the Bride happily hugging her sister.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

MommyPenguin

• Super Hero!
    • My blog!
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2015, 08:12:01 PM »
One article I read on it says that it was actually the bride's idea.

I think it's one of those things that you can't ask to do, but if the bride and groom suggest it, it's okay to agree.
Emily is 8 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 6 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 5 years old!  8/10
Megan is 2 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 4 months old!  12/14

gellchom

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 02:45:23 PM »
Okay, so in this situation there's really nothing to discuss -- the bride and groom were not only fine with it, they were in on it, so there you are.

But in general, I agree with Celleach: fine to propose at a wedding, but not publicly.  Whether you tell anyone or not until after depends on a lot.  I would run that by the bride and groom. 

I am not crazy about public proposals anyway.  Too awkward if the answer is anything but !!!!!!YES!!!!!!! right off the bat, and to me they seem like a little concerned with "look at me!" (and even "aren't I clever!" when it is something gimmicky) for something that is so intensely personal.

At my daughter's wedding last year, a cousin told the family she was expecting.  She and her DH didn't make an announcement, word just got around during the cocktail hour.  She hadn't said a word at any of the socializing the 2 days before the wedding; she said she was even wondering whether it was okay to mention it at all, so I'm guessing she was waiting until after the ceremony.  But I am so glad she didn't wait!  Our family is so spread out, it was wonderful to be all together to get this great news -- her brother and parents and grandparents, all of whom live far from her, were all there.  I'm sure it didn't bother the HC a bit, either, and it didn't draw the slightest focus.  I really loved it; it was like a lovely little segue from one important transition (and happy occasion) in the life of our family to the next.  It wasn't until afterward that I remembered that the pregnant cousin was 2 months old when I got married, and my wedding weekend (she was with a sitter during the wedding itself) was the first time we all "met" her.  Nice little circle-of-life symmetry.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
Yes, I read the follow up story and thought it was an excellent lesson in not judging and shaming based on a random photo and made up scenario. The bride's slightly skewed expression is NOT because she is horrified, but because she is delighted and trying not to cry.