News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 31, 2016, 11:16:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Etiquette says you will...."  (Read 1483 times)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
Re: "Etiquette says you will...."
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2016, 11:49:16 AM »
These people are being pretty fast and loose with the word "etiquette," aren't they? They don't invite 1/2 of an established couple to the wedding and then they tell you that you didn't rsvp fast enough to be able to attend surrounding events? But they are trying to (and apparently succeeding to some degree) hold up the grooms family for funds they can't afford because of "etiquette?"

I think I'd ask to see which etiquette book they are referring to, because it's not one I've ever come across.

And I would totally RSVP yes for the luncheon/reception just to see what their reaction would be. You know that you really should not go to this disaster in the making, but for the sake of EHell, I kinda hope you do! I imagine all kinds of stories coming from this union.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

CL32

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 12:00:13 PM »
I said I couldn't wait to see the centerpieces she paid half for. And then she told me if I hadn't RSVP'd already, I couldn't attend the luncheon/reception since it's already full. RSVP deadline is 2 weeks away and I was going to respond this week since I finally had my time off request approved.

Syfygeek, if you do nothing else, please, PLEASE, PLEASE rsvp "yes" to this luncheon. I'm dying to see what happens when they realize how massively poorly they've planned things.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 01:18:57 PM »
Wow!  The bride's family is invoking etiquette rules as it fits their needs. If I was the groom's family, I would talk with my son and let him know how much money we were planning to spend on the wedding.  Then talk with the hc together and relay the same message.

I was going to suggest something similar. The grooms family needs to say something immediately before the other family's spending gets out of control. They could even send an email after they speak with the bride and groom and cc all relevant members saying, "we will contribute up to $X amount." This is a situation of financial boundary stompers and the groom's family needs to polish their spines before they get stuck paying for things they are not interested in paying for.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 01:30:39 PM »
How'd I miss this trainwreck?  Besides the fact that there are very few etiquette rules that they are actually following, etiquette should never be used as a tool to bludgeon someone.