Author Topic: Wedding websites: "The polite way..."  (Read 6925 times)

purple

Re: Wedding websites: "The polite way..."
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 06:52:59 PM »
We had a simple single card as an invitation, directing people to the website.

All our guests are internet-savvy, so no problems there.

The website was such a great thing for us.  It received and logged all RSVP's.  99% of our guests travelled from other states and other countries, so we were able to give lots of local helpful information for them.

We didn't have a registry at all, so we didn't have to consider that when posting invitations that included the URL.

The feedback from our guests was that they loved having the website there, rather than having to hold on to pages of invitation and other information for weeks so they could find their way etc.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
I love wedding websites! My experience with them (as a guest) is that people will only click on the links that are of interest to them. Guests planning to give cash won't click on the registry link; guests who are local won't click on the travel/accommodations info link.

Two suggestions:

If you include a QR code with the invitation, also include a URL. Not everyone has a smartphone.

Keep the front page as simple and streamlined as possible -- no slideshows, videos, etc. -- out of consideration for people with older computers/browsers or slower connections.

I don't think it's tacky to include registry info on the website. As Toots said, clicking on the registry link is the equivalent of calling up the bride or her mom to ask where she's registered. And you don't have to worry about catching them at a bad time!

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:47:07 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

jelizabug

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »
More helpful replies!

A related question... did you share the website information only with those who were invited to the wedding?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 06:15:19 PM »
I would only do that if someone who really couldn't come wanted to send a present. I'd just say, after saying they don't have to, the registry info is on the website if they want to get us something from there or so,etching similar.

I didn't have a wedding website though, some people weren't that technologically able and anyone that needed to know how to get here could ask us, as it was a small wedding. But it wasn't difficult to get there int he first place.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 06:19:48 PM »
I don't plan on giving the wedding website info to anyone who isn't invited. Only because...why would they need it? Of course a quick google search of our first and last names plus the word wedding will probably pull it up pretty darn quick.

purple

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 10:38:12 PM »
More helpful replies!

A related question... did you share the website information only with those who were invited to the wedding?

Absolutely only those who are invited.
IMO, sharing the website with those who aren't invited is akin to talking of an event in front of those who were not invited and this is massive faux par.

peaches

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 11:09:34 PM »
More helpful replies!

Wedding websites can be helpful, particularly if there are a lot of out-of-town guests.

I also think you can have a perfectly lovely wedding without a website. It's up to you.

I would not share information about a wedding website with people who aren't invited to the wedding. That could have a bragging/taunting effect to those not invited. And anyway, who needs to see it if they aren't invited?

gellchom

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 11:15:05 PM »
My daughter's save the date magnets just came in the mail yesterday.  Now I have to address and mail them all (she's in Israel, so she can't do it from there).  I've sent out flurries of emails asking cousins for everyone's updated addresses. 

Theirs has a photo and the text
Save the date
for the wedding of
Cuthbert Groom and Thusnelda Bride
City, State     website URL

There is a tab on the website for registry information, but there's nothing on it yet.

And this is from a bride and MOB who are about as extreme as anyone we know when it comes to distribution of registry information.  I still don't even like seeing it in shower invitations!  But I know it is not improper.

I think Toots put it very well.  Someone taking the trouble to visit the website is tantamount to their asking, "So, tell me about the wedding plans."  And the answer to that could include where the couple is registered.  I agree that registry information should not be on the main page and should be de-emphasized.

I think the website is a good idea for her, as most of the guests will be from out of town.

I definitely wouldn't tell people who aren't to be invited about the website.  As others have said, they don't need the information, and if it's anyone who might remotely possibly be invited (as opposed to the person in the seat next to you on the plane) it's impolitely discussing a party in front of those who aren't invited. 

jelizabug

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:24 PM »
Thank you all again for responding to my last question. It confirmed my gut feeling on the matter.

For anyone who is interested, what we'll be doing is including the website address on the RSVP card rather than the invitation. The website has an option for a "footer" that will go on all the pages, so I will probably put (in tiny text) something along the lines of "If you are interested in registry information, click here," rather than having a prominent tab. That way they get the info if they want it and don't have to pay attention if they aren't interested.

For those of you who are also planning weddings right now - best of luck to all of us!!  :D

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
Late to the party, but... I also like wedding websites. I admit that they sounded kind of silly at first, several years ago when fewer people were using the Internet much, but if you have a lot of guests who are traveling, I think it's a great place to collect information of interest to them. I also do like it when the HC has some pictures, story of how they met, story about the bridal party members, etc.. I've also seen that stuff on the program at the wedding, or it's in the speeches at the reception.

For necessary stuff like directions, I would also have paper copies available, and send them to everyone by default, or at least the people you're sure won't get much use from the website. In other words, I wouldn't have the website be the ONLY source for really important info.

I would not share the wedding website with non-invitees. However, the most recent wedding website I saw was, indeed, for a wedding I wasn't invited to, of a former co-worker. They shared it with all their Facebook friends and I went there, looked around, learned a lot about them I didn't know, and ultimately used their registry links to send them a gift, which they weren't expecting but were very pleased by. So although it was not what I would have advised them to do (sharing the wedding website with all), I was not offended when they did so, and the gift I sent was of my own free will. :)
~Lynn2000

katycoo

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »
Eh.  Registry cards in invitations are the norm here.  If they're registered, I want to know about it at easily as possible.  I don't want to make a series of phonecalls enquiring.  I can always throw the card away if I don't want it.

Specky

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »
With Nephew's wedding, we found out that we were not being invited AFTER we were directed to the website and registry link.  Not cool.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 07:17:05 AM »
PS - I totally disagree with that "tip" about website info being on STDs.  All you're doing with an STD is giving them the date of your wedding.  (I realize you're not doing them, but that was a strange thing to say!).

On the other hand, I think it is wonderful. Your guests are able to have more information about the event, to decide if they are able to go or even if they want to before making the date available on their calendar.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 01:16:17 PM »
More helpful replies!

I would say only if they ask for that info.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

stitchygreyanonymouse

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »
We have one, and we've only been sharing it with people who are invited. It went out on the STDs. All of our guests will be traveling, so right now, the information on there focuses on that sort of thing (or what we know so far; basically, the date, and airport info).

I don't plan on giving the wedding website info to anyone who isn't invited. Only because...why would they need it? Of course a quick google search of our first and last names plus the word wedding will probably pull it up pretty darn quick.

If you want to know, PM me Glitter, and I can probably tell you how to make that not happen, depending on what sort of service you're using (or just your own hosting).  My significant other’s and my site does not show up in a search for our names, despite having them on there a gazillion times—and trust me, we're very out there online with our names and his in particular is very unique. What does show up are the registries I created for a contest entry and don't intend on sharing… probably need to fix that bit :(