Author Topic: rude to flush in the wee hours? (yes, I see what I did there)possible squick  (Read 10007 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
We dry camp but use the toilet for liquids. Paper is kept in the waste basket, so we only dump liquids. The other is for public restrooms - comfort stations. We don't use the toilet for brown, so there is only a slight ick problem there. I have never had a guest have a problem with that.

I would like to mention that with an UTI I had a weird staining red-orange liquid, so that would be especially startling!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
I would be extremely irritated at a guest that did NOT flush.  Urine is acidic, and with time can etch the porcelain surface making it get dirtier much quicker.  I used to have a boyfriend that I have since named Mistake that would do that, despite my telling him to always flush.  My toilets went from only needing weekly sanitizing, to looking disgusting after one day.  Of course, we both traveled and I sometimes came home to unflushed toilets to they'd had a week of pee to damage the surface. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I sometimes came home to unflushed toilets to they'd had a week of pee to damage the surface.

Even as a 'If it's yellow, let it mellow'er, I'd find this to be disgusting.

I always make sure the toilet is flushed when I leave the house, whether it is just for the day or for longer.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nuit93

Growing up, flushing in the middle of the night (yes, regardless of the contents) or too early in the morning was a potentially groundable offense as it woke up my then-stepdad.  I always found it to be a stupid and frankly gross rule.

Always flush.  No one wants to see what's left behind.

Julsie

Flush!

I'm sorry that you had a UTI.  That can be some awful pain.  I hope that you felt better quickly.

sweetonsno

First of all, I'm in camp "flush" unless you're not sharing and don't mind.

However, because of the shared wall, I think it would have been better to find out whether the occupants of the other room could hear the flushing throughout the night. If they could, I think it would be better to use a different bathroom after everyone had gone to bed to minimize the disruptions. I realize that a UTI can add some urgency to nature's calls, but if it was possible to make it to a bathroom farther away from where people sleep, I think it would be better.

Peregrine

I came from a family that didn't flush liquids overnight.....Old house, really rattly pipes, not so sound sleepers.  We flushed any solid waste and anytime any lady of the house was "indisposed".  We immediately flushed in the morning, and whenever we had guests.

As an adult with a home of my own, I pretty much kept to the same pattern, and still do similar.  However, when I am a guest in someone else's home, I follow their lead.

But please, can we keep the avoid the disgusting and unhygienic labels that get thrown at posters whom we don't agree with whenever these topics come up.  I grew up with a parent that still lived on a farm with an outhouse and chamber pots for overnight use....and I'm only in my 30's.  So that also plays into how I was raised.

rigs32

However, because of the shared wall, I think it would have been better to find out whether the occupants of the other room could hear the flushing throughout the night. If they could, I think it would be better to use a different bathroom after everyone had gone to bed to minimize the disruptions. I realize that a UTI can add some urgency to nature's calls, but if it was possible to make it to a bathroom farther away from where people sleep, I think it would be better.

I agree with this.  If the positioning of the toilet and the pipes were such that you were waking them up every few hours, that wouldn't be fair to them.

I say this as a woman who just returned from a four day trip for the holidays with four of us in a one bedroom condo.  I am a grown woman, yet my elderly father woke me up more than once because of a really loud fart.  I was sleep deprived the whole time.

Iris

Pod to Kestrels Nemesis. I spent part of my childhood in a rural area with an outhouse and another part of my childhood with a toilet that shared a wall with my brother's bedroom. I never caught any dreadful diseases and the second toilet is still in my mother's house and not etched or stained at all. I would always flush as a guest but it's not a dreadful crime against humanity if you don't.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

bah12

• Super Hero!
I came from a family that didn't flush liquids overnight.....Old house, really rattly pipes, not so sound sleepers.  We flushed any solid waste and anytime any lady of the house was "indisposed".  We immediately flushed in the morning, and whenever we had guests.

As an adult with a home of my own, I pretty much kept to the same pattern, and still do similar.  However, when I am a guest in someone else's home, I follow their lead.

But please, can we keep the avoid the disgusting and unhygienic labels that get thrown at posters whom we don't agree with whenever these topics come up.  I grew up with a parent that still lived on a farm with an outhouse and chamber pots for overnight use....and I'm only in my 30's.  So that also plays into how I was raised.

I don't see where anyone said that the 'posters' were unhygienic, but only the practice to be a bit "ick', especially when avoidable.  You have to expect that when talking about bodily functions, people will respond with the "gross" aspect...afterall, the reason why those in the 'flush' camp are there is because of the ick factor, not because they think waking people up in the middle of the night with the sound of gushing water is the most polite thing in the world to do. 

I get that how you were raised is going to affect how you see these things.  I had a relative that worked at a dairy farm and I spent a good many hours of my childhood surrounded by cow waste and smell (and flies!).  I know a whole lot of people that would desribe that as disgusting and though it doesn't bother me so much because I got used to it, I don't really get offended when people have a natural reaction to that environment (or the thought of that environment).  And as someone who has done more than my fair share of camping, I get that plumbing isn't always available and that flushing isn't always an option.  That being said, I'm not going to feel bad for expecting that when you use a flushable toilet, you will actually flush it.  For me, erring on the side of the 'cleanest' practice is usually the safest bet. 

Carotte

In my own (shared) home and if it was liquid and I only used one or two sheets of tp I don't always flush. Sometimes I half-flush so that the tp stays but a good part of the water is replaced or heavily diluted.
Same if I'm in someone elses bathroom, if I/you can't tell if someone used it (appart from the tp) and I know it will be really noisy I don't always flush.

Solid waste is flushed.
If I'm home alone and for some reason can't, the lid goes down and I'll flush it first thing before using it again.
If I'm not alone and for some reason can't, I 'hide' it under one or two sheets of tp and the lid also goes down.
If not everything flush the first time around I also do this.

oopsie

My kids and their cousins go to their grandparents (MIL & FIL) every week. The kids told me that MIL gives them heck if they flush after liquid because it is wasteful.

It can be unpleasant to go to the bathroom there and find the toilet already yellow. Urine, left sitting, can be stinky too.

I flush every time until she tells me to do otherwise and I probably would even then ("oops, I forgot"). IMO, it's embarrassing to just leave the contents there for the next user. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 07:11:58 PM by oopsie »

m2kbug

I say flush.  I would hope the noise wouldn't be bothersome to people in another room.

blarg314

• Super Hero!

At someone else's house, I will flush after each use unless specifically told not to. If there is any substance other than urine involved, I will flush, regardless.

Where I live, toilet paper is not flushed, as the plumbing can't handle it, so used TP is deposited in a small can next to the toilet.

MrTango

I always flush.  No one wants to go into the bathroom and see what someone else left in the bowl.

The only exception was when visiting my grandparents' farm, if there was a summer drought, the rules were modified in order to conserve water.  The logic there was that we could deal with a bit of discomfort in order to help ensure that the cattle & crops had enough water.