Author Topic: rude to flush in the wee hours? (yes, I see what I did there)possible squick  (Read 10112 times)

Katana_Geldar

In the book My Family and Other Animals, the family comments how difficult it was to get toilet paper until the daughter says they're all being silly and she used the paper in the box next to the toilet. She douse herself with soap, water and cologne when she found out it was used.

daen

Our house was built in the 1950's and looks like it has the original toilet (large tank type). If it has been replaced, it was certainly before 1980. I just did a little research and the estimate is this type uses about 7 gallons per flush.

Renovating the bathroom is not in the budget for several years, so we will continue skipping flushes when it is feasible.

There are things you can do to reduce the water capacity of the tank though.  Maybe research them and see if any of them would work for your toilet? 

A couple of years ago (not more than five, anyway), I came across a retrofit unit for toilets that converted a standard single-flush toilet into dual-flush: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/hydroright-dual-flush-system-0635195p.html#.UsjNbvsyC9Q .

As I recall, our first unit had a defect, and the manufacturers replaced for us with minimal fuss. Both my parents and my inlaws also installed one of these, and they're still working fine. (Ours is not in use, because we replaced the toilet and the unit doesn't fit - too tall for the tank. (Semi-emergency replacement, limited budget, and thus limited choices.))

I don't know if they're available outside Canada, but I suspect so - I seem to recall that the company is US-based.

ETA: I notice there are a lot of negative reviews. They are not my experience, but there may be similar and more reliable options out there,
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 10:20:12 PM by daen »

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Flush.

I volunteer at a camp, and there is nothing worse than coming along a toilet that was left to mellow for over a week. It attracts a lot of insects, since the toilets are not fully enclosed.

Most new buildings have the dual flush toilets.

CityGirlInCowboyBoots

At my house the *only* time you try to avoid flushing is when the power is out. That's because we have well water that runs on an electric pump and when power is out you can get 2 flushes. So when power is out if it's just liquid, I won't flush until the power is back on, and I hope I don't have to do anything else until after the power comes back.

Betelnut

Flush.

I volunteer at a camp, and there is nothing worse than coming along a toilet that was left to mellow for over a week. It attracts a lot of insects, since the toilets are not fully enclosed.

I don't think most of us are talking about leaving urine to sit for a week though!  More like 3-6 hours at the most.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Flush.

I don't think most of us are talking about leaving urine to sit for a week though!  More like 3-6 hours at the most.

Also, a toilet in your home has quite a different um... atmosphere than a toilet at camp. Its much more removed from the bugs and heat of the outdoors.

fountainof

I just wouldn't not flush even if told.  The HO can assume I am taking a #2 each time and who would ever question someone about that.  Urine, even just a few hours later begins to still and it is gross to see someone else's urine.

As for toilets, low flow ones are cheap, you can get a good toilet for less than $100 so keeping a 7 gallon and expecting people to "let it mellow" is just crazy.  As people also mentioned you can get attachments to reduce the flow for around $10.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Please don't call me crazy because I am not prepared to renovate my bathroom at this time, or because I don't want to buy a cheap toilet just because it is cheap.

I think several people on this thread do not have a concept of how many times a day a well-hydrated small child will "go", and how little actual urine is produced.  Our toilets do not stink, and we flush when it is needed.  When it is obvious that there is pee in the toilet, we flush.

We don't bother to flush just because someone hovered over the toilet and thought about peeing, or because a chemist *might* be able to isolate traces of pee from the water, if tested. I am not squicked out by the *idea* of pee.

www.ellenseltz.com

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
As for toilets, low flow ones are cheap, you can get a good toilet for less than $100 so keeping a 7 gallon and expecting people to "let it mellow" is just crazy.  As people also mentioned you can get attachments to reduce the flow for around $10.

Wow, I'd like to know where you are shopping.  For me to replace my old toilet with a low flow one would cost me at least $200 plus the cost of the installation, since I'm unable to install it myself.  Which involves taking time off work, most likely.  And if I want one of the fancy dual flush ones?  It's more like $400.  Why should I have to spend money and throw out a perfectly good toilet when mellowing works just fine?  I won't use the attachments - every one I've seen in other situations requires a second flush for #2, sometimes more.  Which would use even more water than my flushing every other time for #1.

I don't expect people to let it mellow at my house, unless they are using the bathroom right next to my bedroom in the middle of the night.  Since there is one downstairs, next to the guest room, they shouldn't need to.

You can do whatever you like in your own home but I'm not 'crazy' for letting it mellow in my own.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Please don't call me crazy because I am not prepared to renovate my bathroom at this time, or because I don't want to buy a cheap toilet just because it is cheap.

I think several people on this thread do not have a concept of how many times a day a well-hydrated small child will "go", and how little actual urine is produced.  Our toilets do not stink, and we flush when it is needed.  When it is obvious that there is pee in the toilet, we flush.

We don't bother to flush just because someone hovered over the toilet and thought about peeing, or because a chemist *might* be able to isolate traces of pee from the water, if tested. I am not squicked out by the *idea* of pee.

POD. Right now, $30 is a lot of money to us. It is amazing to me that other's ideas about the ickiness of pee trumps my desire for a toilet, in my own home, that has a strong "WOOSH" or my need to save costs however the heck I can, buy letting 2 teaspoons of pee sit in the toilet for a few hours.
We have a tiny home with old, thin walls and a baby who refuses to sleep all night; it would be crazy for me to flush in the dead of night and wake up the baby.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
We don't bother to flush just because someone hovered over the toilet and thought about peeing

;D ;D ;D

Yarnspinner

Okay, I admit that, since I am home now and STILL struggling with this %$#@!! UTI, have elected to not flush every time I run in the bathroom.  BUT I am home alone and don't have guests.  (As for the UTI, I saw my "real" doctor today and he has switched me to new meds and arranged for a cat scan to make dead certain I don't have another issue brewing.  Hope that isn't TMI.)

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
Okay, I admit that, since I am home now and STILL struggling with this %$#@!! UTI, have elected to not flush every time I run in the bathroom.  BUT I am home alone and don't have guests.  (As for the UTI, I saw my "real" doctor today and he has switched me to new meds and arranged for a cat scan to make dead certain I don't have another issue brewing.  Hope that isn't TMI.)

Wow, that is a beast of an infection!  Hoping you get it kicked very soon.
                www.ellenseltz.com

fountainof

Wow, I'd like to know where you are shopping.
Costco, the low flow dual flush, elongated bowel and it was only something like $90 and it is great.  The government also for a while did a rebate program so lots and lots of great dual flush toilets have been under $100 the last few years.

I think it is fine for people to not flush in their own home for themselves when they are by themselves but I don't think you can instruct guests in your home not to flush, even in the middle of the night as you just shouldn't instruct people on their toilet habits.  Kind of like how I don't think one should ever do a #2 in someone's home unless they are staying over nigh but there is no way to really say that to people without being a freak  :D

I must preface this all by saying I am the kind of person who needs to pretend that body functions don't happen, so someone asking me to specifically not flush may have me running for the door.  I was at my SIL for Christmas and my BIL didn't flush in the powder room and it really bothered me (I had to flush his first no way could I go one top of his) so much that next time I visit I will limit my beverages so I don't need to use the washroom until I get home.

bah12

• Super Hero!
Wow, I'd like to know where you are shopping.
Costco, the low flow dual flush, elongated bowel and it was only something like $90 and it is great.  The government also for a while did a rebate program so lots and lots of great dual flush toilets have been under $100 the last few years.

I think it is fine for people to not flush in their own home for themselves when they are by themselves but I don't think you can instruct guests in your home not to flush, even in the middle of the night as you just shouldn't instruct people on their toilet habits.  Kind of like how I don't think one should ever do a #2 in someone's home unless they are staying over nigh but there is no way to really say that to people without being a freak  :D
I must preface this all by saying I am the kind of person who needs to pretend that body functions don't happen, so someone asking me to specifically not flush may have me running for the door.  I was at my SIL for Christmas and my BIL didn't flush in the powder room and it really bothered me (I had to flush his first no way could I go one top of his) so much that next time I visit I will limit my beverages so I don't need to use the washroom until I get home.

How can you even control that?  Trust me, I hate leaving the odorous evidence of what I did in the bathroom behind...it's embarrassing, but I don't think it's even possible to tell people that they can't go number 2 in your house.

The whole flushing debate:  I think what people do in their own house is on them. I would never think to tell someone what the flushing rule was in my house and I guess I just kind of expect people to flush after they go.   I've never been told not to flush when visiting others.  If I was, I'm not sure I'd remember to comply as flushing is just so automatic for me.  I think this whole thing boils down to what should the default be?  I believe the answer to that is flushing.

Now might be a good time to admit that I"m also a sound sleeper.  I don't really hear normal household noices (like a toilet) when I'm sleeping and unless I'm sick, I never wake up to use the bathroom...so the whole noise thing has never been something I've even had to consider.