Author Topic: rude to flush in the wee hours? (yes, I see what I did there)possible squick  (Read 9379 times)

Yarnspinner

This could be in family as well, but I've had this discussion with friends about their guests so decided this could go here.

Warning:  slightly queasy contents here.

Within minutes of arriving at my brother's home for the holidays, it became abundantly clear that I had a UTI which I had mistaken for travel nerves.  I spent a large part of Christmas week gulping cranberry juice and water in addition to antibiotics and azo painkillers.  The natural result was that I spent a lot of time in the bathroom.

The bathroom I was using connected my room with another guest room inhabited by SIL's Mom and my niece who offered me her room.  Here's where I have the question:

I was in and out of the bathroom several times each night straight thru into the a.m.  Each time I used the facilities, I flushed because...well, who wants to see the contents?

However, Gramma also uses that bathroom and very pointedly did not flush when she used the bathroom during the night.  This resulted in me, I am sorry to say, flushing twice because...ugh!

I have had conversations with friends who complain about guests who seem to think the polite thing to do after everyone has gone to bed is to not flush until the a.m.  We all agree that the polite thing to do is flush so that everyone has a clean canvas, so to speak. 

Is this just me?  Am I just easily squicked out?  Where do ehellions land on this issue or non-issue as the case may be?

123sandy

Flush! Absolutely, flush.

bah12

• Super Hero!
This is a thing?  I think not flushing is disgusting.

Nikko-chan

I agree! Flush. More than once if you have to but flush the toilet!

MrsVandy

• Formally futurelillady
I don't flush in my own home, if its late at night, liquid and we have no guests. But I always flush at someone else's home.

rose red

• Super Hero!
As a guest?  I always flush unless I have my own private bathroom and can wait.  Sorry, but I don't care what time it is.  Nobody needs to see other people's...contents.  Gag.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Flush flush flush!

Logistically, if you didn't, wouldn't the TP just build up until you had a pipe-clogging mess? If for no other reason than that, flush!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Yarnspinner

Flush flush flush!

Logistically, if you didn't, wouldn't the TP just build up until you had a pipe-clogging mess? If for no other reason than that, flush!

Well, that was my thought especially as  gramma uses lots of  tp.

Luci

• Super Hero!
Flush. After a couple of times, most people will sleep through it anyway.

We have always been fortunate to have a closet between the bathroom and a bedroom, or have the toilet on a wall not adjacent to a bedroom. Once we had guests, so I tried to use the basement toilet if I could make it.

Gwywnnydd

I'm used to households that save water by not flushing liquids (or at least, not flushing every use). In my own home, I'll do that (in my own en suite, or if we don't have guests). In someone elses home, I'll default to flushing, unless it's obvious the house as a rule doesn't.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
I'm in the other camp - but I grew up on a well with limited water so the family mantra was always, 'If it's yellow, let it mellow.'  So it doesn't squick me out at all.  I live alone so I only flush every other time to save water.  I do flush every time if I have guests, other than family since we all still follow the rule for water conservation reasons.

If I'm a guest or have guests visiting, I don't flush in the middle of the night because I don't want to wake people.  But if I was asked to flush, I would try to remember to do so.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

EllenS

We don't flush every time with liquids unless we have company.  (for water conservation) As a guest in someone's home I absolutely flush every time unless they tell me not to.  I have lived in apartments where flushing was so noisy it would wake the baby, so I would sometimes let folks know that we don't flush while Baby is sleeping. (if you have ever had a baby who was a dicey sleeper, you'll do just about anything)

I would always assume the rule is flush, unless specifically told otherwise.

veronaz

This.

I know sometimes flushing can be noisy, but the same applies to hand washing, coughing, etc.  Just things we need to do.  :-\

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I'm joining the majority and saying to flush. It wouldn't have occurred to me not too.

bah12

• Super Hero!

This.

I know sometimes flushing can be noisy, but the same applies to hand washing, coughing, etc.  Just things we need to do.  :-\

I agree.  I must have been "sheltered" in my life.  It never even occurred to me that flushing was optional in any case.  Gross!  I would much rather wake up to the sound of flushing toilet, then look at other people's waste (I don't care what color).  TP clogging the pipes, the smell, etc.  It would never even occur to me to tell a guest that I prefer flushing and luckily that hasn't been an issue!