Author Topic: Weird seating situation at a party  (Read 6352 times)

RandomAngel

Re: Weird seating situation at a party
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 07:22:28 PM »
Oh, my...I just saw a "lite" version of this at a wedding last night!!

DH and I were both in the bridal party, so we were late to our table. We found four people there and four empty seats (two of which were ours, of course), and one of the guests mentioned that another place setting had been moved to a neighboring table. Recalling the seating chart I realized that three people who were meant to be seated with us had moved to that next table. There had been two empty seats there (last-minute cancellation due to weather), and the third guest had asked the waitstaff to move her seat so she could go along.

I kind of understood, since DH and I were the "bridge" for the two groups, and we weren't there at first. The shyer group apparently wasn't comfortable being seated with people they didn't know well (I doubt they would have had contact since our wedding, six years ago), so they moved to their family's table. No one was left alone, but I thought it was quite a shame--they basically travelled hours by plane to have dinner with their parents, instead of hanging out with a fun, friendly group they'd been seated with. And that group was a bit put off, as well, because even if the rejection wasn't nearly as brutal as dragon_heart's it was still the sort of thing you can't help but notice.

I certainly hope that moving one's assigned seat isn't becoming an epidemic, because it hardly ever seems to be a good idea.

katycoo

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »
When I have been planning events like these, i go out of my way to:

1. seat them with friendly people
2. TELL my friendly friends that they know NOONE else at the event so please take them under your wing?  They don't need to babysit them all night but make an effort, introduce them to others etc.

I'd be mortified if you were my guest and this happened.

earthgirl

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:17 AM »
When I have been planning events like these, i go out of my way to:

1. seat them with friendly people
2. TELL my friendly friends that they know NOONE else at the event so please take them under your wing?  They don't need to babysit them all night but make an effort, introduce them to others etc.

I'd be mortified if you were my guest and this happened.

This is what I did at my wedding - I had one friend who knew absolutely nobody else, and didn't bring a +1 - and she was the only person attending in that situation.  I sat her at a table with a few friends as well as my cousin, and emailed my cousin's wife, who is one of the most bubbly, gregarious people I know, to please keep an eye out for her.  As it turns out, my friend held her own just fine and I still have some of my coworkers asking about her two and a half years later (they weren't seated anywhere near her!), but it made me feel better knowing that I'd done what I could to ensure she wasn't sitting in a corner all night.

OP, if I were in your situation I probably would have done the same thing. 

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:21 PM »
If I was the Groom in the OP's situation, I'd want to know if a group of my friends effectively turned their back on another guest. I'd want the left-out guest to tell me what happened. If only so I could have stern words with the other friends next time I saw them!

delabela

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Stunningly rude.

I would assume any adult has the ability to have pleasant dinner conversation with their table mates and then circulate for more socializing with other people later. 

Ginger G

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2014, 09:05:10 AM »
Years ago I attended the wedding of my SIL's brother by myself in another city.  I didn't know anyone except the groom and my SIL and brother who were in the wedding party so they were seated at the head table.  The others at my table completely ignored my existence, and I sat there bored and miserable picking at my food.  I'm somewhat introverted but I did make small attempts to be included at first but quickly gave up.  At least they didn't all go sit at other tables though, that would have been way worse!  I did end up having fun after the dinner was over and I was able to hang out with my brother and SIL.  They had a great Beatles tribute band which is the main reason I wanted to attend in the first place.