Author Topic: reconnecting with old friends on facebook  (Read 1271 times)

CLE_Girl

reconnecting with old friends on facebook
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:06:21 PM »
I recently reconnected with a friend from college on Facebook.  I sent her a message just saying Hi, she friended me and sent a message back.  I've accepted her friend request and looked through her page, put together a general picture of what she's been up to since college.  I want to send her a return message but I am stuck on what to say. 

Do I acknowledge that I looked through her page and ask how her current job is, or do I play dumb and ask what she's been up to since college?

purple

Re: reconnecting with old friends on facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 10:35:44 PM »
You accepted her friend request, so you could just leave it at that.

However, if you are interested in rekindling the friendship, you would be ok to just say something like 'hey I saw on your page that you've been working/travelling/having kids.  So happy for you!'

It's not like you've been snooping or stalking her.  She gave you access to look at that information by sending you a friend request, so you wouldn't be out of line to reference that information in communication with her.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: reconnecting with old friends on facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21:47 PM »
purple is right.

And it's not like you're finding out something scandalous. If a mutual friend had said, "Oh, I ran into Old Friend; she said I should give you her number, she'd love to hear from you. She's working at XYZ Corp as a dietitian, and she has 4 kids."

So when you call, you'd say, "I hear you're a dietitian now--what's that like?" or "How are your kids--you have 4, right?"

And in fact, SHE told you this. That's part of why I put that stuff up on my Facebook page--I want the people that I "friend" to be able to know this without having to ask me directly.