News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:23:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Presumptuous/rude to watermark photos you're sharing on FB?  (Read 9449 times)

CakeEater

Re: Presumptuous/rude to watermark photos you're sharing on FB?
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2014, 07:47:36 PM »
Oh, I came back to say that I think by tagging people in your photos, you might be sending a message that implies that you've taken the photos *for them* rather than just tagging to *show them* the photo, which seems to be what you're actually intending to do.

blarg314

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »
For this type of photo it's a bit tricky.

I like getting copies of photos that friends take at group events, in large part because I want to have photos that have me in it, and the ones I take don't. I can add them to my photo album, and maybe include them in photo collections I send to my Mom, who is more interested in getting pictures of me than of my friends.

If I saw photos with watermarks, I would take it as a clear sign of "hands off" - these are not photos that I am supposed to use. For pictures of a group sporting event, posted on Facebook and taken by a non professional, it would come across as way over the top.

Submitting someone else's photo to a magazine without permission is  out of line, however, and you can definitely request that people not do this.

There's an additional level of complication, because you are taking the pictures as an amateur, not as a professional. So if you want to move to a more professional approach with the distribution/use of your photos - water marks, limited use contracts, etc, I think you would also have to be more professional when it comes to *taking* photos. In other words, you ask permission before taking pictures of other people, and you get them to sign a release form stating permissions for use of the photo. Or you have a formal agreement with the sports organization, and take the photos as an official photographer, with rules for the use and distribution of the photos specified. I would be kind of peeved if someone took a picture of me and distributed it without asking my permission, and then asserted their right to control that image.

I think the best solution is to either only post stuff to Facebook that you are willing to lose control of - keep your best stuff off of general posts if you want - or to stop posting photos.

TootsNYC

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2014, 09:21:03 PM »
Oh--for the team sports pics, maybe you could use a watermark for them that says "For Team Name by GrammarNerd"? Then parents might feel comfortable sharing, and they might not feel you're out to make a buck off their kids' images.

But I agree with the low-resolution suggestion. Could you look into some way to batch-process them?

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:01 PM »
Given that it's apparently a widespread (but absolutely mistaken!) notion that "everything on the web is public domain," if you wish to maintain control over your work, I think you should watermark them. 

And, if necessary, post that they are copyrighted.  In the US, it's not necessary to file for copyright protection for things to actually be copyrighted; they are copyrighted from the moment that they are fixed in some form of media.   (See also: Judith Griggs.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

gramma dishes

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:14 PM »
What the one parent did was unconscionable even if he didn't know at the time that it was illegal.  But that the magazine would publish it without your permission is proof that he did pass your work on to them as his own.  They would never risk publishing a photo without at least a photo credit because they DO know the legal ramifications!

You've had several good suggestions here and you could probably use any one of them or use some in combination.  But I don't blame you one bit for being angry.  That photo was your work and he had no right to pass it off as his own.  It's definitely a form of theft, although I'm sure he never thought of it that way.  I'd have been furious!

Sorry, this topic is locked. Only admins and moderators can reply.