Author Topic: If you want me to pay...  (Read 17633 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: If you want me to pay...
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2014, 12:51:15 PM »
Is there a master list of logins and passwords somewhere (secure)?  I have a hard enough time remembering my own login and passwords for all the various sites (I think I'm up to 4 for bill pay ::) ), and I created them, mostly at the same time so the "base" password is similar.   (Do I sign in with my email address, or my name? Did this one require a symbol, or forbid it?)
...I should really post this in "things that drive you up the wall"

Let me introduce you to Last Pass.  It's amazing and it stores all of your online passwords in one place so you only have to remember 1 password, not eleventymillion of them.  I use the password generator a lot especially for my paypal and online banking websites. There are a few quirks to the system, but all in all it's really really great :)

cabbageweevil

« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2014, 06:10:59 AM »
There were men in my parent's generation who were totally lost when their wives died.  The only time these men had lived away from their parents before marriage was when they were in the army.

They brought their pay packets home unopened and their mothers or wives took care of everything.  They didn't know what size clothes they wore or how many spoons of sugar they liked in their tea.  Some didn't even know how much money they were making.  It was pathetic.

An uncle of mine (b. 1918, d. 2010) was pretty much in that position.  He was a very unworldly, artistic type; his wife handled absolutely all practical matters, including everything financial.  Somehow my uncle had had it firmly in his head that out of the two of them, he would die first.  Unfortunately, she died some five years before him.  Over the few years in which he survived her, he was totally lost as regards life's practicalities, especially as in old age, his mind was becoming somewhat "fuzzy".  Friends and relatives did what they could to help; but his last years were rather a nightmare for him.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #107 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:03 PM »
In addition to knowing
1. What bills to pay
2. How to pay them
3. Where all the accounts are
4. All passwords

spouses/partners need to make sure they will have access to the accounts if one of them dies. My Mom paid all the bills, but Dad knew about all their finances and how much was in each account. Eventhough both their names were on every account, Mom got locked out of several of them after Dad died.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
In addition to knowing
1. What bills to pay
2. How to pay them
4. All passwords

spouses/partners need to make sure they will have access to the accounts if one of them dies. My Mom paid all the bills, but Dad knew about all their finances and how much was in each account. Even though both their names were on every account, Mom got locked out of several of them after Dad died.

What do you mean by "locked out"?  Do you mean she couldn't access them at all?  For how long?

Were the joint accounts labeled 'and' as in Mary and John Smith, or were they labeled 'or' as in Mary or John Smith?

It's probably a good idea to have at least one account in only one person's name with the other as beneficiary, but I still find the concept of not being able to access ones own account very puzzling and a bit scary.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
In addition to knowing
1. What bills to pay
2. How to pay them
4. All passwords

spouses/partners need to make sure they will have access to the accounts if one of them dies. My Mom paid all the bills, but Dad knew about all their finances and how much was in each account. Even though both their names were on every account, Mom got locked out of several of them after Dad died.

What do you mean by "locked out"?  Do you mean she couldn't access them at all?  For how long?

Were the joint accounts labeled 'and' as in Mary and John Smith, or were they labeled 'or' as in Mary or John Smith?

It's probably a good idea to have at least one account in only one person's name with the other as beneficiary, but I still find the concept of not being able to access ones own account very puzzling and a bit scary.

Some companies have a hard time understanding the words dead and deceased and will not let the surviving partner access to the account until they jump through hoops.  Which further compounds the grief of course.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:57 PM »
In addition to knowing
1. What bills to pay
2. How to pay them
4. All passwords

Dad died over 15 years ago so I don't remember the exact wording but it was something about how Mom and Dad were listed on the account. Fortunately they were not primary accounts but credit cards.  Our lawyer got things straigtened out pretty fast.

Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2014, 01:27:31 AM »
Is there a master list of logins and passwords somewhere (secure)?  I have a hard enough time remembering my own login and passwords for all the various sites (I think I'm up to 4 for bill pay ::) ), and I created them, mostly at the same time so the "base" password is similar.   (Do I sign in with my email address, or my name? Did this one require a symbol, or forbid it?)
...I should really post this in "things that drive you up the wall"

Let me introduce you to Last Pass.  It's amazing and it stores all of your online passwords in one place so you only have to remember 1 password, not eleventymillion of them.  I use the password generator a lot especially for my paypal and online banking websites. There are a few quirks to the system, but all in all it's really really great :)

I like the Pocket app for Android, especially with the data backup to my dropbox account.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture