Author Topic: Thanks for the gift I returned  (Read 2681 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
Thanks for the gift I returned
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:08:02 PM »
How does one address this in a thank you card?

Situation:  My brother got Little Knit a movie she already owned.  He lost the receipt.  Fortunately, only one story carries this particular version of this particular dvd (walmart), so I was able to take it back and get store credit.
He knows I took it back, as I'd asked him for the receipt and told him she already had it.

I used the store credit to buy her a pair of pajamas that features the same characters as the movie.

How do I address this in the note "from" her?

kckgirl

Re: Thanks for the gift I returned
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
Tell him she will like the pajamas and that you're sure they'll keep her warm and cozy this winter.

Dear Brother Knit,

Thank you so much for thinking of Little Knit and getting the movie for her. As you know, she already had it, so we exchanged it for these cute little pajamas with the same movie characters on them. I'm sure they'll keep her warm and cozy this winter. I've enclosed a picture of her wearing them while watching the movie. Stay warm!

Love,
Knitterly
Maryland

EllenS

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:30:07 PM »
Since he already knows, I like kckgirl's wording.  If he did not know, I would just thank him for the movie as usual and say nothing about it.  No reason he needs to know after all.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:38:27 PM »
Tell him she will like the pajamas and that you're sure they'll keep her warm and cozy this winter.

Dear Brother Knit,

Thank you so much for thinking of Little Knit and getting the movie for her. As you know, she already had it, so we exchanged it for these cute little pajamas with the same movie characters on them. I'm sure they'll keep her warm and cozy this winter. I've enclosed a picture of her wearing them while watching the movie. Stay warm!

Love,
Knitterly

Yep. "Little Knit was so excited to wear her Character jammies while she watched Character movie!"

veronaz

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »

Dear Brother Knit,

Love,
Knitterly

I like this.  Enclosing a picture of her wearing the jammies while watching the movie is a nice touch.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:50:12 PM »
I once wrote a thank-you note ina  similar situation. It went something like this:

"Thank you so much for the electric knife sharpener--I've been wanting one for a while, since I already have some great knives. 'What knife sharpener?' you say? 'I gave you a coffee maker!' That is correct--but as you know, I received two identical coffee makers, and as you pointed out, nobody needs two. Since you suggested it, I exchanged your coffee maker for the knife sharpener, and now every time I sharpen my knives, I think of you warmly."

She told me later it was the best thank-you note she'd ever gotten.

I like kckgirl's suggestion.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 03:19:36 AM »

Dear Brother Knit,

Love,
Knitterly
this is perfect!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

kategillian

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
Every time I sharpen my knives I think of you warmly? Hahahahaha for some reason that makes me laugh, it sounds like a threat, even though I'm sure that's not how you meant it!

m2kbug

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:55:36 PM »

Dear Brother Knit,

Love,
Knitterly

This!  Or if you bought another DVD with it, you can say which one.  I would be inclined to buy another DVD if a DVD is what she got in the first place.  It depends on the situation, of course, but the wording and how you ultimately spent the money is great in this example since she already knows you exchanged it. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »

Dear Brother Knit,

Love,
Knitterly

While I agree with the wording in essence, I think Knitterly wanted to note to be from her daughter, so:

Dear Uncle Favorite,

Thank you so much for my new Ariel jammies!  I really love them and they're so warm and toasty.  Here is a picture of me wearing them while I'm watching the movie Ariel is in.  They're my favorite jammies EVER!

Love,
Little Knit

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 09:19:51 AM »
Well, I don't think I will include a picture.  Little knit wanted a very specific pair that was short sleeved, so we got them a size up.  Tried to steer her towards the long-sleeved version, but she liked the colours on the short sleeved jammies better.

I decided to tell my brother that we exchanged the gift and what we exchanged it for, so I will write the note from LK just thanking him for the pajamas.