Author Topic: rude to flush in the wee hours? (yes, I see what I did there)possible squick  (Read 9325 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
"Is it an etiquette rule that you shouldn't flush at night while a guest?" 

and I guess

"Can I expect a guest to not flush at night while they are a guest?' 

My personal answer is No and No.

While I agree that you can say No to both of these, if you were a guest in my home, I would have to reconsider whether or not to invite you to stay overnight if you kept waking me with flushing at night.  Sleep is more precious to me than waking up to a flushed toilet.

Just as you, as a guest, has the option not to visit someone who insists on the toilet not being flushed every time.

I would never insist but waking me in the night ensures you'll have a grumpy Outdoor Girl in the morning.  When I'm wakened, it takes a long time for me to go back to sleep.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
I think the discussion has drifted.  (and I was a part of the drift)
The OP had been a guest and was shocked that the host seemed to expect her to not flush at night. 
The discussion has drifted to "What we can do in our own homes."  When, really, there aren't any etiquette rules for what you do in the privacy of your own home.  The real question is,

"Is it an etiquette rule that you shouldn't flush at night while a guest?" 

and I guess

"Can I expect a guest to not flush at night while they are a guest?' 

My personal answer is No and No.

We flush. I would prefer my guests always flush.

But I think a host can ask for guests to not flush at night because of noise if that is their home norm. I also think hosts can asks guests to "let it mellow" if that is their home norm and they have a need or desire to conserve water. You if there is a septic issue they can ask them to not flush TP.

But if a guest forgets, the host should not admonish them about their forgetfulness.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Insofar as this is an etiquette issue, the matter has been adequately dealt with.