Author Topic: We know that safety trumps etiquette . . . UPDATE #27  (Read 5076 times)

The Wild One, Forever

Re: We know that safety trumps etiquette . . . UPDATE #27
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 04:02:03 PM »
Glad that was resolved so well!  BFbob sounds like a thoughtful person.

I am another who detests driving in horrible weather.  I am good at it, but I hate doing so, more than almost anything else in this world.  There is something so unsettling about not being able to trust what's beneath one's tires, and that feeling of having so little control is, I think, what causes me so much stress.

That said, if I had been in the OP's daughter's situation, I think I would have explained that I didn't feel comfortable picking them up when the weather was so awful.  Also, I don't believe she should have felt obligated to reimburse for the cost of a cab, (although, offering would be a nice thing to do, and I might have done so, in her situation, obligated or not.)

One of the worst white-knuckle rides I ever experienced was when I had been out of college for about 7 years, and a friend from down home flew up to visit.  I drove to the airport to pick him up, and it was only snowing lightly, but with a lead-colored sky overhead promising much worse.  Sure enough, by the time he landed and we headed back to my town, it was snowing so hard I could barely see and the roads were icy.  What an introduction to the "great white north" that was for him!    ;D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

mich3554

Re: We know that safety trumps etiquette . . .
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 04:29:01 PM »
I have a question.  I don't live in an area that has snow.  I don't understand how the weather is so bad that the people can't pick the friends up from the airport, but somehow the weather is not bad enough that these friends could take a cab?

I was caught in the snow mess in NYC a week ago.  I took 3 VERY hairy cab rides, rides where I suspect most drivers would not have experience in dealing with road conditions.

Only problem that the travelers may run into is there may be a lack of cabs, only so much because everyone cabs it rather than risk driving themselves.

lakey

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 07:26:59 PM »
A 19 year old driving at 4 AM on roads that are getting icy from sleet and freezing melted snow? Ask any police officer what he thinks of that. I live in Michigan. Icy roads are much worse than snow covered roads. I had an accident a while ago that happened because there was light snow, it was melting as cars drove over it, the temperature was dropping, so the melted snow had turned to ice. And by the way, I was driving a jeep. I hit a patch of ice and the car slid all the way across the freeway and hit a guard rail. I'm lucky I wasn't hit by other cars, and only the bumper was wrecked.

As I said, ask any police officer what he thinks of this. As her parent, I'd pay for her friends' taxi fare, rather than have her drive.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:17 PM »

If DD doesn't feel safe driving, she shouldn't. But I agree with PPs that she should kick in for the cab fare, because she promised to pick them up without any qualifiers. In the dead of winter, in a snow prone area, she now knows that if she's asked for (or offers) a ride, she needs to add "if the weather isn't too bad" so that the travellers know it's only a possible ride, not a definite one, and can make other arrangements.

melicious

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 08:14:36 PM »

If DD doesn't feel safe driving, she shouldn't. But I agree with PPs that she should kick in for the cab fare, because she promised to pick them up without any qualifiers. In the dead of winter, in a snow prone area, she now knows that if she's asked for (or offers) a ride, she needs to add "if the weather isn't too bad" so that the travellers know it's only a possible ride, not a definite one, and can make other arrangements.

I don't know - I think that's unreasonable that she should kick in the cab fare just because she doesn't want to drive in dangerous weather at 4 a.m.. Yes, she used "no qualifiers" but it's not like she refused to drive them because she didn't feel like it or made other plans.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 01:03:36 AM »

I don't agree.  The people she was supposed to pick up live there--they should already know that.

In general, adults should be responsible for themselves.  I am not comfortable with the idea that having agreed to do a favor for someone you are now responsible for them.

When I fly into Denver, my sister picks me up at the airport.  If she were to tell me at the last minute that she couldn't because something came up, I would simply take a cab.

Her picking me up is a perk if she offers and chooses to do it.

But, as an adult, the responsibility to get myself to and from the airport is all mine.  It's great that she chooses to offer and follow through.  But, I am not going to rely on her to the point of making her responsible for me.