Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

We'd rather have you babysit than join us...

<< < (6/6)

bopper:
At our church we provide a nursery service.  But nobody wants to miss church, so we pay someone to watch the kids.
It seems to me this is a need of the church...perhaps some older teens would be willing to provide child care during the services or perhaps people would chip in to pay for child care.

Marozia:
Unbelievably rude of your friends to assume you won't be coming to the church event.
You definitely said the right thing.

Raintree:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on January 06, 2014, 03:59:31 PM ---I don't see anything wrong with just saying, 'Oh, I'm attending that event so I won't be able to sit for you.'  Giving them the benefit of the doubt, they might not realize that they are essentially asking you to forgo the event so they can go.  But if these are repeat offenders, then yeah, they're just trying to take advantage of you.

--- End quote ---

I agree with this; "Oh, I am going to that event too, so I won't be able to babysit."

Piratelvr1121:

--- Quote from: bopper on January 17, 2014, 01:41:38 PM ---At our church we provide a nursery service.  But nobody wants to miss church, so we pay someone to watch the kids.
It seems to me this is a need of the church...perhaps some older teens would be willing to provide child care during the services or perhaps people would chip in to pay for child care.

--- End quote ---

Our church does this too, mostly from 9-10 since there are parents who are either teaching Sunday school and need their youngest looked after, or they're attending one of the 2 adult education programs.   So we definitely need someone in there, reliably but we've had real problems with the paid person being reliable. :P

Emmy:
If the church or a group of parents at the church is asking the OP to babysit (especially for free) during the event, I can see how she would feel hurt.  If an individual family here or there asked about paid babysitting, it is probably because they are looking for a trustworthy sitter without considering the OP's plans.  I don't think they are hinting or saying they would rather have her babysit, but simply trying to find a sitter.  I think the best response would be "I won't be able to watch your kids, I was planning on attending the banquet too" in a calm and polite manner. 

I am the parent of young kids with no family in the area so I can sympathize with needing a sitter.  I do agree with others who think most likely it's not that the parents don't want the babysitter to attend the event, they are just checking her availability because they need a sitter and knows she does babysitting.  If the sitter was polite in her refusal and said she wanted to attend the event, I would say "look forward to seeing you there" and keep that in mind for future church events.  If she was snippy or seemed very offended, it would probably be an awkward moment for both of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version