Author Topic: Best Comeback Ever!  (Read 5141 times)

Mrs S

Best Comeback Ever!
« on: January 08, 2014, 02:28:51 AM »
A friend of mine just posted this conversation on facebook she had with a tourist (byt he way the caps indicate tourist yelling)

Tourist:(bails friend up in front of shop) MCDONALDS! WHERE!
Friend: Excuse me????
Tourist: DO YOU KNOW WHERE MCDONALDS IS?
Friend: Yes I do, thank you for asking.

Friend then walks away.

Giot to say I love her a bit more after this!

Seraphine1

Re: Best Comeback Ever!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 04:26:10 AM »
I think your friend was rude.

I think the tourist was rude and a bit shouty as well, but they may have been lost or trying to meet someone.  I know my tone can be a be more terse and harder than I'd planned when I'm late or upset.

Your friend should have just given the directions or said "no, I don't" if they didn't want to take part in this conversation.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 05:30:42 AM »
I think it was a perfectly polite response to a boor. Maybe he'll remember to say "excuse me" and "please" next time. >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:53:01 AM »
Not rude in the least. The tourist asked a question and received a perfectly appropriate answer. Now, had the tourist said, "Excuse me, would you please tell me how to get to the nearest McDonald's?" it would be a different story.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

bloo

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
I think getting away from a stranger that is yelling at me is perfectly fine. It was a funny way that your friend did it OP!

m2kbug

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:11 AM »
Is there an issue of different languages here?  I can imagine someone who does not speak the language can ask in a way that that is short and like barking an order, although shouting didn't really help.  I wonder if this person was frazzled and this came out in his tone.

I think both parties were rather rude.  I admit, it is funny, but this person was obviously not native to the area and I think the polite thing to do would be just to give directions.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
I think your friend was rude.

I think the tourist was rude and a bit shouty as well, but they may have been lost or trying to meet someone.  I know my tone can be a be more terse and harder than I'd planned when I'm late or upset.

Your friend should have just given the directions or said "no, I don't" if they didn't want to take part in this conversation.

Agreed. Retaliatory rudeness is still rude.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Kari

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:58:52 AM »
I'm not sure we can say the OP's friend is rude when on this forum we've advocated addressing passive-aggresive comments literally. (Example: Snarky person says "Must be nice to have money to travel so much." Happy Traveler replies, "Yes! Isn't it wonderful?") OP's friend did the same thing: took a rudely stated question and pretended to be clueless about the rude one's intentions when framing a reply.

I think the OP's friend was unhelpful (and can't blame her!) but not rude. But I'm open to a rebuttal!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 11:12:18 AM »
I didn't see the need for the snark by the friend.

Was the tourist struggling with the language? Was there significant street noise causing him to shout? Was he hard of hearing which caused him to shout?

Her snarky response took as long to say as a polite "Yes, the closest is 3 blocks down on your right."

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
OP, I would call what your friend did sarcastic and risky.  If someone approached me in the way the tourist did your friend, my first thought would be "What's wrong with this person?" and I would not want to do anything to escalate the looming problem.  I also would not send him on his way to the business by giving the location.  And yes, I might let someone know of this aggressive person who is accosting people on the street..
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 11:21:46 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 11:20:41 AM »
I didn't see the need for the snark by the friend.

Was the tourist struggling with the language? Was there significant street noise causing him to shout? Was he hard of hearing which caused him to shout?

Her snarky response took as long to say as a polite "Yes, the closest is 3 blocks down on your right."
It doesn't sound like he was struggling with the language because of the second statement he made to the OP's friend.  And it doesn't sound as though he were hard of hearing, but rather was angry for some reason and aggressive.  It comes to mind that he might be looking for someone he believes to be there and is angry about it. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

RandomAngel

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
I think that taking passive-aggressiveness literally is a rather different tool from the one used here. The tourist wasn't being passive-aggressive; he was...well, we don't exactly know what he was doing. He might have been lost and in a hurry and panicking, or he might have been struggling with a language barrier, or he might just have been rude and obnoxious.

In any case, I'm sure that taking the time to think about his tone will benefit him in the future, and perhaps your friend's reply will encourage him to do so. But I'm not quite prepared to cheer her awesomeness when so little is known about what sort of a lesson this actually was.

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 11:26:17 AM »
OP, I would call what your friend did sarcastic and risky.  If someone approached me in the way the tourist did your friend, my first thought would be "What's wrong with this person?" and I would not want to do anything to escalate the looming problem.  I also would not send him on his way to the business by giving the location.  And yes, I might let someone know of this aggressive person who is accosting people on the street..

I think this is quite an over reaction. The guy was rule, agreed, but I doubt there was anything else going on than asking a question, perhaps even in a foreign language and just failing to do it politely.

I think that taking passive-aggressiveness literally is a rather different tool from the one used here. The tourist wasn't being passive-aggressive; he was...well, we don't exactly know what he was doing. He might have been lost and in a hurry and panicking, or he might have been struggling with a language barrier, or he might just have been rude and obnoxious.

In any case, I'm sure that taking the time to think about his tone will benefit him in the future, and perhaps your friend's reply will encourage him to do so. But I'm not quite prepared to cheer her awesomeness when so little is known about what sort of a lesson this actually was.

I agree. I don't think either person came out well from this exchange.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:57 AM »
The guy already sound angry/stressed and her "witty" remark isn't going to help.  Either be nice about it and perhaps the friendly helpfulness will calm him down, or say "No, I don't" and get away from him.

Only me

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 12:42:20 PM »
HI OP

part of the conversation you state "bails friend up in front of shop". What does that mean?

Onlyme