General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Getting scolded because of a conversation I'm trying to shut down

<< < (8/8)

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: jaxsue on January 12, 2014, 12:44:25 PM ---
--- Quote from: Betelnut on January 11, 2014, 12:53:19 PM ---
--- Quote from: CookieChica on January 11, 2014, 12:08:22 PM ---I immediately thought that the problem was Boss and the update reinforces my opinion. I don't normally jump to sexism but this seems like a pretty good example.

--- End quote ---

I was going to say the same thing.  Anytime someone uses the word "Ladies" it is patronizing.

--- End quote ---

ITA. It also sounds very patronizing to me.

--- End quote ---

Well, I hope not everyone feels it is sexist or patronizing. I use "Ladies" frequently when speeking to a group of all women and I'm a woman.

I actually work in a male dominated field for a male dominated industry. In my department we ended up with a high proportion of women in management and director level roles. We like using the greeting "Hello, Ladies" as we have no need to refer to each other as "guys".

Mikayla:
I'm another one who is generally cautious about gender bias claims, but there's a context here that makes it more bothersome.  Heck, you can go back to the OP and the other woman's strange assertion right off the bat that she's a fashionista.  Even that could be feeding into it.  If boss is assuming the OP is another fashionista, and/or he's stereotyping that all ladies dig convos about shoes, and men talk about real things like cars and football, this stuff can add up.  And then "ladies" becomes something else.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 13, 2014, 12:22:57 PM ---Well, I hope not everyone feels it is sexist or patronizing. I use "Ladies" frequently when speeking to a group of all women and I'm a woman.

I actually work in a male dominated field for a male dominated industry. In my department we ended up with a high proportion of women in management and director level roles. We like using the greeting "Hello, Ladies" as we have no need to refer to each other as "guys".

--- End quote ---

Nobody is claiming that the word "Ladies" is sexist and patronizing by itself, so you're arguing against a straw man here. As Mikayla and others have pointed out, it's the context that makes the use of the word suspect. It's still not conclusive but it's enough to make one look more deeply. It may be the normal mode, as it is in your office, but it may be something else.

Hmmmmm:

--- Quote from: artk2002 on January 15, 2014, 12:48:57 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 13, 2014, 12:22:57 PM ---Well, I hope not everyone feels it is sexist or patronizing. I use "Ladies" frequently when speeking to a group of all women and I'm a woman.

--- End quote ---

Nobody is claiming that the word "Ladies" is sexist and patronizing by itself, so you're arguing against a straw man here. As Mikayla and others have pointed out, it's the context that makes the use of the word suspect. It's still not conclusive but it's enough to make one look more deeply. It may be the normal mode, as it is in your office, but it may be something else.

--- End quote ---

I was responding to Betlenut who said:  "Anytime someone uses the word "Ladies" it is patronizing."

So I'm not sure why you feel I'm arguing against a strawman.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on January 15, 2014, 02:40:38 PM ---
--- Quote from: artk2002 on January 15, 2014, 12:48:57 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I was responding to Betlenut who said:  "Anytime someone uses the word "Ladies" it is patronizing."

So I'm not sure why you feel I'm arguing against a strawman.

--- End quote ---

Sorry. I missed Belenut's post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version