Author Topic: Giving son's friend a ride to school  (Read 5918 times)

Peregrine

Re: Giving son's friend a ride to school
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
Given the liabilities of doing so, and the requirements for car seats that can last until a child is quite old, I wouldn't.  I would toss the kid my cell phone and have him call mom, or perhaps even pull over and let the kiddo wait in the warm car until the bus got there, if I had time.

But definitely talk to mom about it for next time.

lakey

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
Giving a ride to a minor child without the parent's permission is a liability issue. I worked at a school. We wouldn't even let kids go home with an aunt or uncle without permission from the parents. I agree with the commenters who say that you really need the parent's permission.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2014, 08:36:40 PM »
Given the liabilities of doing so, and the requirements for car seats that can last until a child is quite old, I wouldn't.  I would toss the kid my cell phone and have him call mom, or perhaps even pull over and let the kiddo wait in the warm car until the bus got there, if I had time.

But definitely talk to mom about it for next time.

I don't think carseats should be an issue.  I don't know of any state that requires carseats past age 8 or so, although some require that kids under 10 sit in the rear (http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/laws/childsafety_laws.html).

But I do agree that there's a certain liability whenever you put a child in your car, and it's best to check with the parent first.  I think if there was a really unusual situation (so cold that you were worried about the child's safety), it might be worth sitting in the kid's driveway with the kid in the car until you see the bus coming.