Author Topic: need to beg a teacher to use her room after school-- got it w/o begging! #23  (Read 4105 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: need to beg a teacher to use her room after school
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 08:50:24 PM »
I have to ask, is it really the school or the Fine Arts Coordinator who wants you to use the room?  Does the Coordinator actually have authority to commit the room during the teacher's time? 

I had something similar happen in my school library.  It was always being used for sport parent meetings, gatherings, tutoring, etc.  It got to the point where I couldn't do anything in the library before or after school. When I expressed my frustration to the principal it turned out that most of these folks didn't have permission to use the library.   

I believe that this is after the teachers time.  Teacher leaves at 2:30..right?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 08:55:05 PM »
To be blunt, I think the letter is too long and too wordy and brings up too much of the past. I'd go for something short and sweet and to the point.

Dear Teacher,

Is your classroom available at 3 pm on [day of week] for 1/2 hour for a piano lesson? Fine Arts Coordinator has three new students on the list for this semester, but we can only accommodate them all if we can use your classroom weekly at 3 on [day of week], which is half an hour earlier than last semester.

Please let me know by 1/15/14, so that we can let the student know.

Thank you!

Region Mom

Treat it more as a business transaction than some emotion-laden negotiation.

Camlan, I saw where you liked the later version, but I really like this one.  he tone of the green version is more like that of a kid negotiating to use the car Saturday night. 

Region Mom, you may be too caught up in looking at this as a favor to you to supplement your income, but it isn't.  Your need for the room is legit and student-based.  So you're not negotiating from a position of weakness.

I agree with these folks. Don't automatically cast yourself into the "supplicant" position, because you're not--your work there is not a private enterprise; it's at the behest of the organization that owns the room.

Library Dragon

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 09:20:24 PM »
I have to ask, is it really the school or the Fine Arts Coordinator who wants you to use the room?  Does the Coordinator actually have authority to commit the room during the teacher's time? 

I had something similar happen in my school library.  It was always being used for sport parent meetings, gatherings, tutoring, etc.  It got to the point where I couldn't do anything in the library before or after school. When I expressed my frustration to the principal it turned out that most of these folks didn't have permission to use the library.   

Her last class ends at 2:30. That's different than the end of her work day.

My last class got out at 2:50, but I couldn't leave until 3:45. The teacher may be officially done at 3:00 pm, but many teachers stay longer. With so many things going on in the room this hour may be prime time for her.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 09:35:30 PM »

Her last class ends at 2:30. That's different than the end of her work day.

My last class got out at 2:50, but I couldn't leave until 3:45. The teacher may be officially done at 3:00 pm, but many teachers stay longer. With so many things going on in the room this hour may be prime time for her.

Oh I see. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
Also, teachers don't just teach in front of a class full of kids. They grade papers, prepare lessons, do research, do administrative stuff. And their classroom is almost their only space.

They can sometimes do stuff in the office, or the staff break room, or a corner of the library. But their classroom is "their" space.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »
Also, teachers don't just teach in front of a class full of kids. They grade papers, prepare lessons, do research, do administrative stuff. And their classroom is almost their only space.

They can sometimes do stuff in the office, or the staff break room, or a corner of the library. But their classroom is "their" space.

Which might explain why the teacher would be irritated that this space was being taken away earlier for the 3pm lesson (if she is)... but she should take that irritation up with the Fine Arts Coordinator or someone else in the school admin. As far as I understand, it's not the OP specifically requesting that room and time, it's the FAC.
~Lynn2000

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:57 AM »
Who is in charge of allocating rooms?
Are the piano lessons part of the school program (at least semi-officially?)
Then have the Fine-Art coordinator ask for the use of the room....
and then it should not be "would it be okay" but "This is what we are doing unless you have a legit conflict"

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 10:52:18 AM »
Who is in charge of allocating rooms?
Are the piano lessons part of the school program (at least semi-officially?)
Then have the Fine-Art coordinator ask for the use of the room....
and then it should not be "would it be okay" but "This is what we are doing unless you have a legit conflict"
Yes, that us what I wanted to ask. And if the coordinator is telling you to use*room A* then that's what you do. Certainly be polite and give the teacher a head's up but don't beg, over apologize, etc

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: need to beg a teacher to use her room after school- update #23
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2014, 11:54:39 PM »
UPDATE-

The teachers know their rooms are basically "open" for co-curricular and clubs and tutoring and such within 30-60 minutes of their last class.  Especially since this is a music teacher in a room with a nice piano, and there are only so many pianos on campus, she does have to be flexible with after school programs. 

It is kind of "an offer you cannot refuse" so the update is,

I got the room!!  at 3pm, and I did not have to ask.  The fine arts coordinator did it for me, and she did not mention any fusses. 

So, yay!

The teacher may not be happy, but here are the stats-

three piano teachers- one in the HS building who mostly does older kids, one in the academic hall "piano closet," and...me.  Last year I taught a few lessons in an office with a digital piano, but a real acoustic piano truly is the best way to go, and the office got too crowded, anyway.   I have to teach somewhere! 

:)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
double posted, sorry!

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:01:06 AM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
Glad it worked out!
And that fine arts coordinator did their job!