Author Topic: Birthday party-any guesses on how many will show up?  (Read 5124 times)

kudeebee

Re: Birthday party-any guesses on how many will show up?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 12:38:06 AM »
Take the goodie bags that you have made and put the name of each child on a bag.

Use your extra bark and make extra candy.  Bring it to the party in a tupperware container as you stated. Have extra goodie bags on hand and extra tags--labels work great.  If extra kids show up, you can make up extra bags and label them with the kid's names.  Only takes a moment to put a few pieces of candy in a bag, tape shut and put a label on.

Then as the kids leave, each is handed his/her goodie bag.  That way you make sure every kid gets a goodie bag and that the ones who rsvp'd get the originals that you made.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 09:38:38 AM »
Take the goodie bags that you have made and put the name of each child on a bag.

Use your extra bark and make extra candy.  Bring it to the party in a tupperware container as you stated. Have extra goodie bags on hand and extra tags--labels work great.  If extra kids show up, you can make up extra bags and label them with the kid's names.  Only takes a moment to put a few pieces of candy in a bag, tape shut and put a label on.

Then as the kids leave, each is handed his/her goodie bag.  That way you make sure every kid gets a goodie bag and that the ones who rsvp'd get the originals that you made.

This. I would just have plain clear bags to put the extra candy your making in and then use a color marker to write their name on it.

Take2

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 11:18:19 AM »
That's the plan. And I will use this as a teaching moment for my kids, who really respond well to examples of why certain behaviors are polite/rude. Know that if you don't answer an RSVP, you leave your host wondering if you will come. Do they make food/treats/place settings for you? Do they assume you won't come? If someone is kind to extend an invitation, the only kind response is SOME response. I have received texted regrets before, and I don't have a problem with that. It certainly leaves no excuse for not responding, how much effort does it take to text "Sorry, Bobby can't make it to Billy's party."

AnnaJ

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 01:11:38 PM »
A question from the uninvolved - are goodie bags sort of mandatory at kid's parties?  No criticism, I just don't have kids and grew up at a time before goodie bags existed (you know, when we had dinosaur rides at birthday parties) so am out of the loop on kid's parties. 

Is this a U.S. thing only?  Are there general ages where bags are given out?  What if you choose not to do goodie bags, is there a social consequence? Inquiring minds  :).

Take2

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
Goodie bags have become so ubiquitous that kids will assume there will be one. Pinata goodies seem to be an acceptable alternative. They seem to belong to the elementary-aged party. A child too old for bounce houses and cutesie plates is too old for party favors. My stepsons seemed to outgrow them around age 10. But girls seem to hang on to cute theme parties a little older than boys.

There would be no ramifications for me if I had no goodie bags, I don't think parents really care. DS's friends would notice, and goodie bags are what of what makes a party more cool, but an otherwise fun party wouldn't be considered ruined for lack of goodie bags. But DS would be very sad if we had no goodie bag for his friends. He has received a goodie bag at every party he has ever attended, so to him they are a normal kindness.

Now, the standard goodie bag is a themed plastic sack with 4-6 pieces of cheap plastic gadgets, sometimes also themed, and maybe 3-5 pieces of cheap candy. Total cost tends to hover at about $1 per sack. I always try to find something the kids will find cooler than the standard sack for no more than the same cost.

Library Dragon

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »
They have been expected now in the USA for a long time. DS2 is soon to be 24 and I realized how bad it was at his 9 year old party.

We had a "karate" themed party at the boy's dojo.  We had a lot of physical team games. I had little prizes for the winning teams (e.g., a lollipop).

After the first game I was passing out the prizes when one boy yelled, "That's all we get?! No goodie bag?!"

I explained there would be goodie bags at the end of the party for everyone who showed good sportsmanship.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »
I don't understand the hate towards goodie bags. I enjoy making them and handing them out. Then again, we never did the plastic bags filled with useless toys and candy no one eats. We do "goodies" instead. ;)

Take2

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 06:31:41 PM »
We had no unexpected guests. The children who RSVPed came, and that was all. The kids were very excited about their Lego candy, I heard lots of "oh, cool!" The parents were happy to have that instead of trinkets. I was able to give some of the extra candy to siblings at pickup time.

Roe, I am with you. I enjoyed making the bags and DS was very proud to hand them out. At DD's last party, she and I made decorated snowflake cookies for her ice skating party.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 07:28:29 PM »
If I'd actually guessed how many would show up, I would've lost because my guess would have been any number except the number who RSVP'd.   :)
Take2, I think you've experienced a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

IslandMama

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2014, 05:58:21 AM »
I would have guessed the number that RSVP'd but I still would have had extras on hand, just in case.  *lol*  I've got three kids and I don't think we've ever had any unexpected guests show up.  Sometimes I invite siblings, sometimes I don't.  If I know the siblings (and haven't invited them for some reason) then there's usually something extra set aside to take home to them, that's just how I am and that seems to be how most people are in our circle.  If it's a party at home or at the park then we're usually "the more, the merrier" but if I'm taking them to a restaurant or the movies or something (you know, not McDonald's but something other than that) then it's usually not including siblings unless the parents intend to come along and pay for them as well.  Even then they usually let us know so we can have something ready for them.  A couple of years ago we took our daughter and nine of her friends out to lunch and they got their goody bags as we were seated at the restaurant - they had fancy straws for their drinks and little notebooks and pens and things like that... and also feather boas (I got them for 50cents each, what a bargain!) and junky necklaces and rings and things.  Now I think about it, there were no lollies in there at all... and I think the bags worked out to less than $2 each.

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
My guess was based on Bistromathics (from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

The Bistromathic Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing vast interstellar distances without all the dangerous mucking about with Improbability Factors. Bistromathics itself is simply a revolutionary new way of understanding the behaviour of numbers. Just as Einstein observed that time was not an absolute but depended on the observer's movement in space, and that space was not an absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in time, it is now realized that numbers are not absolute, but depended on the observer's movement in restaurants.

The first non-absolute number is the number of people for whom the table is reserved. This will vary during the course of the first three telephone calls to the restaurant, and then bear no apparent relation to the number of people who actually turn up, or to the number of people who subsequently join them after the show/match/party/gig, or to the number of people who leave when they see who else has turned up. The second non-absolute number is the given time of arrival, which is now known to be one of those most bizarre of the mathematical concepts, a recipriversexcluson, a number whose existence can only be defined as being anything, other than itself. In other words, the given time of arrival is the one moment of time at which it is impossible that any member of the party will arrive.

Recipriversexclusons now play a vital part in many branches of math, including statistics and accountancy and also form the basic equations used to engineer the Somebody Else's Problem field. The third and most mysterious piece of non-absoluteness of all lies in the relationship between the number of items on the check, the cost of each item, the number of people at the table and what they are each prepared to pay for. (The number of people who actually brought any money is only a sub-phenomenon in this field.) The baffling discrepancies that used to occur at this point remained uninvestigated for centuries simply because no one took them seriously. They were at the time put down to such things as politeness, rudeness, meanness, flashiness, tiredness, emotionality or the lateness of the hour, and completely forgotten about on the following morning. They were never tested under laboratory conditions, of course, because they never occurred in laboratories - not in reputable laboratories at least.

And so it was only with the advent of pocket computers that the startling truth became finally apparent, and it was this: Numbers written on restaurant checks within the confines of restaurants do not follow the same mathematical laws as numbers written on any other pieces of paper in any other parts of the Universe. This single statement took the scientific world by storm. It completely revolutionized it. So many mathematical conferences got held in such good restaurants that many of the finest minds of a generation died of obesity and heart failure and the science of math was put back by years.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
A question from the uninvolved - are goodie bags sort of mandatory at kid's parties?  No criticism, I just don't have kids and grew up at a time before goodie bags existed (you know, when we had dinosaur rides at birthday parties) so am out of the loop on kid's parties. 

Is this a U.S. thing only?  Are there general ages where bags are given out?  What if you choose not to do goodie bags, is there a social consequence? Inquiring minds  :).

You had dinosaur rides? Back in my day, we couldn't afford those!  :)

I don't hate goodie bags, but it does make me a little sad that they are expected now. I had a few small birthday parties at home as a child, and the guests got to take home their party hats and/or those paper whistle things my mom put at each place -- and prizes for those who won games. There was no expectation of getting "stuff" for attending someone else's birthday party. It was the birthday child's day to get stuff, and you got yours on your own birthday. Guests get cake, ice cream, good company and fun activities -- they need stuff, too?

I don't have kids, but Bagman has two, and I remember him venting his frustration at having to fill what around here are called "loot bags" for his girls' birthday party guests. They were born in 1982 and '84, so their prime birthday party giving/attending years would be the late '80s/early '90s.

I think a good compromise between goodies/no goodies is some kind of craft party, where the guests decorate their own cookies or T-shirts and take them home. Or themed props -- say, a pirate party where everyone gets a hat and a fake sword, and they get to take those home.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 07:01:07 PM by baglady »
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

ms.bliss

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2014, 07:05:20 PM »
Great outcome!  It is super frustrating to deal with no replies when you are trying to plan special treats!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:49 AM »
I think goodie bags are fun.  And they're a way to sort of mitigate the disappointment kids can feel when the party is over (and their reluctance to leave).  I'm trying to decide what to include in the goodie bags for my 7-year-old's farm mystery party right now.  Other years, I've bought a few cheap toys to put in them (plastic rings, things like that).  I think this year, I'm going to stick with colored paper bags decorated to look like farm animals, a farm sticker scene, and whatever candy they get from the pinata.

Take2

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »
I think goodie bags also help the kids know/understand the party is over. You hand a child a goodie bag and they say thank you for having me and head for the door.