Author Topic: Cold weather and washing  (Read 2794 times)

Brisvegasgal

Cold weather and washing
« on: January 10, 2014, 09:23:44 PM »
Earlier today (it's just after noon on Saturday in my part of the world) I read part of a post that mentioned using more than one towel for a stay of a couple of days.

I was wondering if that was the norm for those parts of the world where drying is difficult?

My family (mine & DHs) wash towels about once per fortnight and I wondered if that's because our towels dry pretty quickly when they're hung up after use. Conversely, we wash our sheets about once a week because they get a bit sweaty.

JoW

Re: Cold weather and washing
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:18:09 PM »
I wash my towel once a week, when I wash my sheets.  I know people who use 2 fresh towels every day, one for their body, another for their head.  I'm in the US, and, as usual, there are a lot if differences between different people.  Just about everyone in my area has central heat and central air conditioning.  A towel on a rack dries quickly year round no matter what the weather is doing. 

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 10:28:17 PM »
I used to live in a crummy apartment with a crummy bathroom that never seemed to get dry--I think it was a ventilation issue--and towels never got fully dry and they'd get funky pretty quick. Currently, I use a head towel and a body towel, but I use the same ones for about a week unless I happen to be doing extra laundry at some point in between, then I might throw them in just for good measure.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:47:35 PM »
I use a fresh towel every day. Though Houston is humid, in my case it is about my skin condition, not the towel still being damp.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:49:41 PM »
I use 2 per week, alternating each day. This way one is always dry.  Well....unless DH uses mine instead of his.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:28:24 PM »
 I wash the towels once a week, along with bedding as well.  My house is quite well-insulated so it's warm enough inside that towels dry fairly quickly when hung to dry. Also, my towel rack is right over a heat register, which helps a great deal.  Also, my towel is always nice and warm when I get out of the shower :)
"After all this time?"
"Always."

demarco

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »
I use two to three towels for my hair (I have a lot of hair) and one for the rest of me. I wash towels about every week.  The towels dry out fine between uses. It's odd but I find that they dry faster hanging over the glass shower doors than they do hanging on the towel racks (except for the towel rack over the heater). 

Promise

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »
We wash towels once a week. I use a hair towel and just put on my thick and thirsty bathrobe when I step out of the shower. I don't towel off. Towels dry quickly here year round.

Bluenomi

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 03:02:17 AM »
I find in winter my towel doesn't always dry properly and it's not even that cold here. That said my Queensland relatives are convinced Canberra is like the Artic  ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2014, 08:43:34 AM »
I only ever knew one couple who used fresh towels every time they bathed or washed hair.  This seems wasteful to me because washing them that often makes them wear out faster.

Mine dry quickly and I can use a towel for a week.  However, I wish I had heated towel racks like the last place I stayed when I vacationed in London.  That would be fabulous in the winter.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 09:00:33 AM »
We have a washer and dryer in our apartment so our experience may be a bit different. 

We change our bed once a week and the old sheets go right into the wash.  We have about five sets of sheets.

Towels are a different matter.  We have a lot of those as well and usually grab a clean one when the spirit moves.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
I usually use a clean towel every time I have a bath, and change the hand towel every couple of days.

Sheets are changed about once a week.

As for drying- summer is OK if dry, but if not we have to use an airer inside. In winter the central heating is on and things usually dry pretty fast on the towel dryers (which are like radiators) in the kitchen and shower room. I avoid using the tumble fryer if possible and mostly use it in spring and autumn when it is too cold and damp to dry things, but not cold enough for having the heating on.
NE England

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »
I change/wash bath towels twice a week and hand towels once a week.  So far that's worked fine for us.
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 10:41:35 AM »
US here. I use two towels a week--one for hair and face and one for the rest of me, plus a couple of hand towels. Towels get washed once a week, along with the sheets.

During the fall, winter and spring, bath towels dry on the towel rods pretty quickly. In the summer, it gets very humid here, and air conditioning is not common, so it can take two days for a towel to dry if left on the towel rod in the bathroom. And my apartment has no place to dry things outside. I've found that draping the towels over the shower curtain rod, so they don't have to be folded, is the only way to even hope to have them dry by the next time I want to shower.

While I know people who use fresh towels daily, I certainly don't have enough room to store that many clean towels just for me. I can't imagine the space needed for a family where everyone uses clean towels every day.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BigBadBetty

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »
I think it is common enough that people use a fresh towel each time in the U.S. I used to do that. It was just to have a fresh towel rather than my old towel wasn't dry. Most houses have both a washer and a dryer. Having a dryer makes the laundry process a lot faster. The washers are also have larger capacity. I live in a small condo. I have a European washer (Bosch Axxis). It is less than half the capacity of my parents' washer. I will now use my towels a couple times before washing.