Author Topic: How much detail should go on the invite?  (Read 665 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
How much detail should go on the invite?
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:28 PM »
I have already sent out save-the-date cards for a big family event later this summer. It's my parent's 50th anniversary, but it's also going to end up being an awesome family reunion.

To set the tone of the event:

The event is being held at a motel/campground/RV park. It is a pig-roast buffet dinner and will be extremely casual.

The actual event is Saturday afternoon-evening, but most guests are coming on the Friday.
The location is out of town for everyone so people will basically show up and visit from Friday evening onwards. We'll "start the show" Saturday afternoon.

There is no such thing as a "dry" family gathering for us. We're not rowdy, but some social lubricant is part of any gathering.

My brothers and I are funding the event, but our budget only runs to wine and beer. We aren't putting any out before the "official start", but there will be plenty of soft drinks/water available as well as nibble food all afternoon.

I am drafting the formal invitations and have lots of questions.

1) Is it okay to indicate on the invite that beer and wine will be the only liquor we are providing? I am not going to put BYOB, but if anyone wants anything else, they are more than welcome to bring it. I'm not remotely sure on how to indicate this!

2) I am not going to say "No gifts", but I'd like to indicate an address if anyone wants to send a card. Is that okay and how should I word it?

3) We'd like to invite people to write a note to my parents, to be included in an album. I will include the stationary in with the invite as well as having some at the event for those that forgot it at home.  :) Is this okay? I will word it to indicate that this is completely voluntary!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: How much detail should go on the invite?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:58:39 PM »
1.  'Wine and beer will be provided for the pig roast.'  They can figure it out from there and bring other stuff if they want it.

2.  'Best Wishes Only' with an address?  I know etiquette frowns on this but this is one thing that I think needs to change with the times.

3.  Great idea.  I think your proposal is fine.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:40:03 PM »
On the invite I'd go with the specifics.

Just something like

Join us Saturday June ?
As we celebrate Mike and Carrol's 50th Anniversary

Pig Roast "officially" starts at 4pm.

RSVP to                               Beer & Wine provided
White Dragon
xxx@ccc.com

Then on Friday or when talking with family I'd mention there will be snacks and sodas for those who want to visit while the pig roasts.

Zizi-K

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:47:43 PM »
1. I like Hmmmm's suggestion of 'Beer and wine provided. If this is at a campground and people are arriving the day before, they will bring their own drinks anyway so they can have what they like on Friday.

2. I would just skip this. IF they want to know your parents' address, they'll look it up or contact you.

3. The note for an album sounds nice - if you can enclose stationary and instructions with the invitation that would be great. You could say "bring it with you for inclusion in the album, or if you can't make it, mail your note to (address)."

CakeEater

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:38:53 AM »
Here in Australia, at many such events I've been to, 'Beer, wine and soft drinks provided' is how that would be indicated. And I've said something like, 'Feel free to bring anything else you'd like to drink'.