General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Talking to someone, then the phone rings...

<< < (5/5)

ShadowLady:
When working at second job (retail clerk), I answered a phone in front of a customer, who got so annoyed they complained to manager.  Manager then afterwards came to me and specified customer in front of you is more important than anyone calling.

I realize at a vet's office you can't do that as well, but maybe answer phone like my dr's office does, "Is this an emergency?"   If it is not, can you say "hold on a minute", and then put phone down on desk, and continue to deal with client in front of you, who hopefully knowing that you have a phone call to get to, does their business with you quickly. 

MrTango:

--- Quote from: arila on January 14, 2014, 03:05:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: perpetua on January 14, 2014, 02:29:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: MrTango on January 14, 2014, 01:18:09 PM ---IMO, in a business situation, a customer in front of you always trumps the phone ringing.

--- End quote ---

In most situations I'd agree. But in the case of a vet's office, where the person on the phone might be someone whose dog has just been run over versus someone at the desk who's only paying a bill or picking up medication or arranging their next appointment? No.

--- End quote ---

I am in agreement that the phone should be answered in case of emergency, BUT the policy goes further than that. The policy ALSO requires that she finish NON-emergency business on the phone even if it has interrupted the person already standing there.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's just not a good way to do business.

Perpetua, I agree with you.  I didn't consider medical situations as part of "business" situations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version