Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 29786 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Changes Her Mind 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
It's beyond weird and I'd have refused to tell her with other people in the room.  It is not your coworker's business what time you've taken off.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:14 AM »
Very weird.  And unprofessional.  I dunno about other people but I generally don't keep track of that kind of info in my head so I wouldn't have been able to answer.

I think even if you weren't going on vacation soon I'd advise you to get out.  This place sounds very badly run.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
As in, since 3 weeks ago? She can't be bothered to look that up? I can't imagine there's been a terrible lot of people out sick and on vacation in 3 whole weeks.  ::)

Something is definitely up around there. I bet your (soon to be former) coworkers have a helluva time getting their vacation and sick time approved this year. Reminds me of my former workplace. I didn't have too many issues because I was a peon but the department managers could never get vacations. One woman ran her department on her own. There was one person trained to cover when she was off (although she usually snuck in at least part of one day) and she'd get called at home and yelled at when she called in sick (which she only did if it was like emergency room sick). She hadn't been allowed to use her vacation time in years, to the point that, when someone anonymously called HR and told them what was up, she got called into boss's office and it turned out he had to give her every other Friday off for the rest of the year (this was early in the year, I want to say Feb?) or she'd lose all those days. Managers could bank 6 weeks max and she had nearly 10, about 5 years worth if I recall. Well of course that happened the first month and then he couldn't spare her and she had a noodle for a spine so that was that :-\. She never made a fuss and I guess whoever her anonymous complainant was decided if she wouldn't fight for herself there was nothing anyone else could do. That was 2-3 years before I quit and she never did take a vacation as far as I know. Probably still hasn't.

Anyway... no point to that. Just sitting around here bored. LOL. Best of luck today - I hope everything goes well and you get out of there with as little drama as possible!!

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2014, 10:26:06 AM »
I have removed my personal files from my work computer in case they ask me to leave today.  And I got a call late last night from my FIL (who I used to work for as a paralegal) and he invited me to come work for him during tax season so that's kind of awesome.  He pays more than my current job too.  ;)

CharlieBraun

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
I have removed my personal files from my work computer in case they ask me to leave today.  And I got a call late last night from my FIL (who I used to work for as a paralegal) and he invited me to come work for him during tax season so that's kind of awesome.  He pays more than my current job too.  ;)

That is totally wonderful!

What about personal items?  Whisk them away at lunch and lock in your car trunk, mebbe?
"We ate the pies."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2014, 11:34:07 AM »
Oh very unprofessional. The best way to handle it (besides HER actually looking it up for herself) would be to send an email to all, asking everyone to please give her an accounting of what each has taken, and how much each person rolled over.

It sounds like leaving is probably the best scenario for you, all around.

tinkytinky

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »

This is fabulous news! Now if they try to back up and say ok to the vacation, you have a really good excuse! you have a new job, paying more, starting after your vacation! this makes me happy!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:38 AM »
Very unprofessional and lazy of Temper Tantrum Boss. I don't think she couldn't email or look it up. I believe she was trying to shame the people who had already taken time off. She wants to make you all scared to ask for PTO.

Sounds like the Titanic is slowly going down. It's great that you're going to be jumping ship before you get sucked down with it!

I'm happy that your FIL has an opportunity for you. I'm thrilled for your vacation and that you still plan to go. And I look forward to an update. I wish you had a mini web cam you could wear in your shirt pocket so that we could get it all on video when you tell them you're still going on your pre-approved and then rescinded vacation!

Be sure to stay in touch with your coworkers. I'm sure they will have interesting updates for you in the coming months.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »
Rooting for you today.

MyFamily

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
How willing are you to burn this bridge?  Send an email to HR and let them know what she did.  I know you are quitting today anyway, but that means you have the least amount to lose at this point.  She needs to be stopped.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

CreteGirl

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
How willing are you to burn this bridge?  Send an email to HR and let them know what she did.  I know you are quitting today anyway, but that means you have the least amount to lose at this point.  She needs to be stopped.

Yes, this.  There could even be some Hipaa violations going on there (assuming you are in US).

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2014, 02:03:00 PM »

Yes, this.  There could even be some Hipaa violations going on there (assuming you are in US).

HIPAA is for Medical issue - I really doubt that saying "I took 3 sick days" would fall under that.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2014, 02:22:27 PM »

HIPAA is for Medical issue - I really doubt that saying "I took 3 sick days" would fall under that.

Yea, it really governs the release of info by your doc, I think. But there are likely some serious company privacy policy violations involved, and certainly worth a casual mention to HR.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

violetminnow

« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »
That's pretty bad. Kind of good to know that it's not just your vacation time that's the problem, but that Tantrum Boss is weird about all time off.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2014, 03:36:58 PM »

So are you putting your notice in at the end of the day, or have you done this already?