Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 31744 times)

CreteGirl

Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*
« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2014, 06:35:14 PM »
I think the company needs to know why you are leaving.  It costs time and money to recruit a new employee.  Because TT boss did not want you to take a vacation, presumably because the company is busy, now not only do they not have you for two weeks, but for all the weeks after that.

This is a very poor business decision.

weeblewobble

« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
would you mind (vaguely) describing the circumstances of the assault?  that bit has me flabbergasted.  (Did I miss that post?)

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48:02 PM »
I think the company needs to know why you are leaving.  It costs time and money to recruit a new employee.  Because TT boss did not want you to take a vacation, presumably because the company is busy, now not only do they not have you for two weeks, but for all the weeks after that.

This is a very poor business decision.

The question is whether OP feels any obligation to give the company that information, given how badly managed it is and how she's been treated. (There's a "don't protect ex-problem-boss" argument, certainly, but that's separate from "the company needs to know this.")
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2014, 08:25:26 PM »
If I was a boss, I'd want to know if there was an out of the ordinary reason that workers were leaving.  It's pretty standard for people to move on for reasons such as more money, better use of skillset, etc, but if a particular employee (in this case Crazy Boss) was driving people away then I'd really want to know that too. Also, if enough people were leaving, or heck, even one person, was leaving because our time-off policies were weird, I'd want to know that too, so I could reevaluate them if need be. From the sounds of it, the company could be facing a bit of a problem in this area in the future with the new leave structure they've implemented.

At one job I had, a lot of people left because of one particular employee - including his own brother! Unfortunately he was the bosses son, so that put it in a different category than the OP's situation, but in most companies it would be hoped that the higher ups would rather get rid of one problem employee than continue to lose good workers because of one bad person.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
I tried that when I left my last job.  I started it off by refusing to sign my performance appraisal, which garnered me a meeting with my supervisor's manager.  Who supported the supervisor and wasn't interested in what I had to say.  I was already looking for another job at this point.

When I was finally leaving that job, I had a discussion with my coworkers.  I was willing to go to bat for/with them - there was a new manager - but let them know that they would all have to speak up.  It couldn't just be me and one other woman doing the talking.  Because if the men didn't speak up, management was going to think it was just a friction issue between the female supervisor and her female subordinates.  The men decided they weren't willing to speak up so I dropped it.

I did get the last laugh because, speaking to those guys after I'd left, they regretted not taking me up on my offer.  That supervisor is still there, still driving them crazy.  Because she sucks up to management and gives them what they want, on the backs of her staff.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

eltf177

« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2014, 07:54:57 AM »
If I was a boss, I'd want to know if there was an out of the ordinary reason that workers were leaving.  It's pretty standard for people to move on for reasons such as more money, better use of skillset, etc, but if a particular employee (in this case Crazy Boss) was driving people away then I'd really want to know that too. Also, if enough people were leaving, or heck, even one person, was leaving because our time-off policies were weird, I'd want to know that too, so I could reevaluate them if need be. From the sounds of it, the company could be facing a bit of a problem in this area in the future with the new leave structure they've implemented.

At one job I had, a lot of people left because of one particular employee - including his own brother! Unfortunately he was the bosses son, so that put it in a different category than the OP's situation, but in most companies it would be hoped that the higher ups would rather get rid of one problem employee than continue to lose good workers because of one bad person.

Unfortunately, many times management knows and just doesn't care. There's one thread over on c*stomerssuck that perfectly illustrates this.

Boss drove out 17 people in less than a year, most of whom didn't give notice. One worker who quit informed HR of just what was going on, and HR did nothing. Finally Boss got caught falsifying punch-in sheets to deny workers their bonus. At that point she was finally terminated.

As one reader put it: "Yes she's causing problems, but not to the suits. So nothing happens. Then she gets caught falsifying records. Now she's causing problems to the suits, so action is now taken."

Unfortunately too often management looks out for themselves and the bottom line, their attitude is that the peons aren't in a position to complain...

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2014, 09:01:16 AM »

Unfortunately, many times management knows and just doesn't care. There's one thread over on c*stomerssuck that perfectly illustrates this.

Boss drove out 17 people in less than a year, most of whom didn't give notice. One worker who quit informed HR of just what was going on, and HR did nothing. Finally Boss got caught falsifying punch-in sheets to deny workers their bonus. At that point she was finally terminated.

As one reader put it: "Yes she's causing problems, but not to the suits. So nothing happens. Then she gets caught falsifying records. Now she's causing problems to the suits, so action is now taken."

Unfortunately too often management looks out for themselves and the bottom line, their attitude is that the peons aren't in a position to complain...

We had two cases of that where I work. Big Bosses who were bullying and harassing employees. Multiple people quitting or getting fired for things they shouldn't have been fired for. So many complaints were lodged and nothing changed. One woman was even told by HR "well you know the whistle blower almost always gets fired" when she went to lodge a formal complaint.

Then the Big Bosses started stealing money from the company. Once the higher ups got wind of that, suddenly investigations were launched and they were fired.

menley

« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2014, 09:54:22 AM »

I agree with this completely. I was in a bit of the same situation and my coworkers begged me to talk to HR in my exit interview in hopes that something could change before they felt they had to quit. I did, and HR was horrified at my stories and started the process of informing higher-ups - and then it died. Why? Because while my boss treated his subordinates horrifically, he was an excellent charmer when it came to clients, and he did a number of things that were helpful to the company as a whole. So, from the perspective of the big guys, he was making them lots of money, building great relationships with clients, and his subordinates were probably a bunch of whiners who couldn't perform at the level he expected.

That boss is still there, but every. single. person. who worked beneath him from my four years at the company is long gone.

MrTango

« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »
I actually heard of a case where that sort of non-caring behavior by HR led to a case of mass professional darwinism.

A particular manager in my company was a tyrant.  She belittled employees in front of people from other teams (I witnessed this), she refused to allow any of her team to receive bonuses even when they were truly deserved, and she bad-mouthed people to upper management.

Three of her dozen employees quit all at the same time, citing her behavior as their primary reason for leaving.  For some reason, HR couldn't find anyone even from outside the company who was willing to come in for an interview with her.  Apparently, word had gotten out to other companies in our field that this woman was not someone anyone wanted to work for.  Fortunately, our company policy stated that for an employee to transfer to another team, both managers had to approve or it couldn't happen.  My manager and other managers were smart enough to not allow us to be dragged to this woman's team (I'd have quit on the spot if they'd told me I was being forced to transfer).

Finally, management realized that they were starting to lose lots of money because our company wasn't keeping up with commitments that were usually fulfilled by this woman's team (she was down to about 4 employees with 8 open positions) so they brought her in and fired her.  Last I heard, which was a couple years ago, she had to take a part-time job at a retail store because none of the companies in our field would hire her, due to her poor reputation.

Polly

« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
Wow. I only just found the updates to this thread. I am glad things have worked out for you OP. I too would like to know the circumstances of the assault. It sounds like you are well out of there. The place sounds like a shambles and I have no idea how that woman still has a job. I do think it odd that your Professional Boss is not stepping in.

And - enjoy your wonderful holiday!!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »
just read the update - WOW.

glad you are outta there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

weeblewobble

« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2014, 06:18:19 PM »
The denied bonus thing brings up bad memories.  I worked for company where a manager actively campaigned against all employees getting bonuses, not just the ones in his department. Why?  Because employees who receive rewards of any kind get "over confident" and harder to manage because they "believe they're doing a good job."

SoCalVal

Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Changes Her Mind 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:23 PM »
No major updates to report today: Tempter-Tantrum-Boss is out sick but Professional-Boss is here.

I did get approval from PB to take a half-day tomorrow using one of my precious "floating holidays" so I can go to a Doctor's Appt.  What he doesn't know is that appointment is with the health department to get my vaccines so I can travel through Africa for our vacation.  (9 hours in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia). ;D

(Maybe I should feel guilty for the deception?  I don't really, but maybe I should?)

Okay, is it odd I looked for the like button because my immediate thought was "Oh, I love Ethiopian food!"

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:06 AM »
End-of-month is a very busy time for our department.  Reports have to be filed, data has to be keyed into the system and uploaded, etc.  The last working week of the month is usually the only time anybody gets any overtime because there is simply much more work to be done than the rest of the month.  (I might work an eleven-hour day during the last week of the month but only need two hours a day to do my job during the rest of it).

A certain, lengthy report was supposed to come about 8 days prior to the last day of the month.  Our job is to process this report (its in two parts so its easiest to just have two people working on it), add in our own data, create an Excel spreadsheet, and pass that along.  The problem is the report came in so late we'd already closed the month.  When we processed Late Report as usual, it generated all sorts of errors downstream.  They called it "cross month", whatever that means.  Which, okay, is a big error, but no one had told us that we'd need to make changes to how we process that report, let alone what those changes were.

Coworker and TT Boss have never gotten along well.  So when Coworker was unsure of how to proceed, she made her best guess ... and I followed her lead as she's worked here longer and is the woman who trained me.  (You can see where this is going, can't you?)  We submitted the report and the next day, TT Boss was livid that it was so messed up.  She stormed over to our cubicles and began to berate my coworker (ignoring the fact that I had screwed up too), picked up a manila file full of papers, and struck coworker with it.  It wasn't hard enough to bruise my coworker but it was a bratty, childish thing to do and very demeaning.  Coworker's cubicle opens directly across the path from mine so I saw the whole mess. 

I discreetly opened an inter-company instant message to Professional Boss:

Me: We have an awkward situation down here.
PBoss:  ?
Me: TT Boss just hit Coworker because she was mad.

PBoss didn't respond to me after that but TT Boss got called up to his office, still stomping her feet like a toddler.  Coworker gathered up her belongings and took an early lunch at that point.  I told her to go to HR but she was afraid of retaliation.  (Her husband is unemployed and they need the health insurance Our Company provides).

Half an hour later, TT Boss came back down.  Her face was red from crying and she was holding back tears.  Coworker was still gone so she called me into her office.  When I went in, she gave me a formal apology for her behavior and promised it wouldn't happen again.  I accepted her apology and went back to my desk to wait for Coworker's return. 

Coworker did come back and continued her work.  I got busy then with other things and it's been a few months now so I can't recall if Coworker is the one who fixed our screw-up or if they had to call in another department.  I never saw any kind of punishment for TT Boss but then, I wasn't really involved beyond being a witness.

But that's the story of the most unprofessional thing I've ever seen at work.

veronaz

« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2014, 02:00:51 PM »
^^ So the bottom line is that TTBoss continues to hit employees, no one presses assault charges, and she continues to keep her job.  What a zoo.   ::)