General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*

<< < (38/38)

MariaE:

--- Quote from: deadbody on January 28, 2014, 03:37:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: veronaz on January 28, 2014, 02:00:51 PM ---^^ So the bottom line is that TTBoss continues to hit employees, no one presses assault charges, and she continues to keep her job.  What a zoo.   ::)

--- End quote ---

To be fair it sounds like the hitting was a one time thing.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to press assault charges in that situation either.

--- End quote ---

With the full story, I wouldn't have pressed charges either. Of course it's in no way, shape or form acceptable, but it's not something I would have gone to the police with either. Perhaps the HR - that would depend on what kind of apology TTBoss gave coworker.

deadbody:

--- Quote from: MariaE on January 29, 2014, 08:39:34 AM ---
--- Quote from: deadbody on January 28, 2014, 03:37:01 PM ---
--- Quote from: veronaz on January 28, 2014, 02:00:51 PM ---^^ So the bottom line is that TTBoss continues to hit employees, no one presses assault charges, and she continues to keep her job.  What a zoo.   ::)

--- End quote ---

To be fair it sounds like the hitting was a one time thing.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to press assault charges in that situation either.

--- End quote ---

With the full story, I wouldn't have pressed charges either. Of course it's in no way, shape or form acceptable, but it's not something I would have gone to the police with either. Perhaps the HR - that would depend on what kind of apology TTBoss gave coworker.

--- End quote ---

This exactly.  It would also greatly depend on what level TTBoss is in the company and how big the company is.  I've had someone who was technically subordinate to me pull some stunts including physical attacks (once) that had I reported nothing would have been done because it was a small company and this person was the son of the owner.

Would I have reported it to HR in the company I am in now (very large with very specific rules) yeah, and if their response was to have the person apologize to me and it was a one time thing I doubt it would go father than that.  Because I am in the same boat at the co-worker, I carry our health insurance, Mrs. Deadbody is self-employed and we can't afford other insurance.  Is this a bad option? Yeah, would it feel like the cowards way out at times? Yeah, does that make it wrong? No.  Coworker made a choice that she felt was best for her, from the position she was in I think it was.  Being the whistleblower is great, being willing to stand for your beliefs is awesome, but risking losing your job and putting your family on the street to do it is stupid.

LadyL:
Unfortunately a lot of companies write off aggression that doesn't result in injury as people "blowing off steam." LordL supervises an employee who, when he got frustrated, would do things like punch his desk or kick a door. LordL thought he should get fired for it because it was making people feel uncomfortable and threatened but his company is very male dominated where being angry, yelling, even throwing stuff is considered bad but not fireable. Not shockingly they are being sued by a former employee for hostile work environment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version