Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 30751 times)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Changes Her Mind 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2014, 07:10:29 PM »
I just can't imagine any company ever thinking a person was just going to skip their already booked vacation because of work?  What kind of power trip are they on!

My company thinks exactly that. People who've had vacations planned for forever have had them canceled. The power trip that the company is on is that they hold most of the cards. It's not so easy to just walk out and find another job right away - at least not where I live.

We also have to accrue vacation days and if we leave the company, they don't pay out unused vacation time. It also does not roll over from year to year.

Hooray for corporate America.  :-\
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

aussie_chick

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:24 PM »
I just can't imagine any company ever thinking a person was just going to skip their already booked vacation because of work?  What kind of power trip are they on!

My company thinks exactly that. People who've had vacations planned for forever have had them canceled. The power trip that the company is on is that they hold most of the cards. It's not so easy to just walk out and find another job right away - at least not where I live.

We also have to accrue vacation days and if we leave the company, they don't pay out unused vacation time. It also does not roll over from year to year.

Wow... the next time I want to complain or think to myself "I wish I had more time off" I have to remind myself that I really do live in the lucky country. Our National Employment Standards provides that all employees will have 4 weeks paid annual leave per year and 2 weeks personal (sick) leave. Many employers offer more to be more competitive. Annual leave is an entitlement and if you leave, it must be paid out. Personal leave does not get paid out.
It's also in law that an employer cannot reasonably refuse an employees request for annual leave - and reasons that might be reasonable and unreasonable are available.

Sorry to go OT but i'm wondering if i've gotten a bit soft and spoiled!

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 12:52:34 AM »

Wow... the next time I want to complain or think to myself "I wish I had more time off" I have to remind myself that I really do live in the lucky country. Our National Employment Standards provides that all employees will have 4 weeks paid annual leave per year and 2 weeks personal (sick) leave. Many employers offer more to be more competitive. Annual leave is an entitlement and if you leave, it must be paid out. Personal leave does not get paid out.
It's also in law that an employer cannot reasonably refuse an employees request for annual leave - and reasons that might be reasonable and unreasonable are available.

Sorry to go OT but i'm wondering if i've gotten a bit soft and spoiled!

I'm from the U.S. and still live here. I just watched a few travel videos to see what places I'd like to visit. They stated that Sydney has nice, sunny and warm weather year-round. I was already very tempted to move there. Now, you're making me even more jealous.  ;) Most companies in my field give us 10 days off for vacation a year. If you're a good negotiator and they really want you, they might give you 15 until you've worked for the company for many years. In my field, it's normal to work 60 hour weeks.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
I'm in Sydney now and I can tell you it's neither sunny nor very warm today. ;)

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2014, 09:36:28 AM »
If they offer to approve my vacation time when I had in my resignation, I will decline.  This is no longer a good employment option for me.

I think that's wise- I can easily see UnprofessionalBoss doing her level best to punish you for having the temerity to stand up for yourself.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
I worked a part-time job in college that gave everyone, even part timers, PTO and sick days--it was a nominal amount, like 3 PTO days and 2 sick days, but they were there, and in theory we were encouraged to use them (and they were use them or lose them.) So I used a sick day when I was really sick.

At my next review, I was given a "teamsmanship" talk and lectured about "that one day you took off because you were sick." Nice.

katycoo

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2014, 07:30:01 PM »
I'm from the U.S. and still live here. I just watched a few travel videos to see what places I'd like to visit. They stated that Sydney has nice, sunny and warm weather year-round. I was already very tempted to move there.

Lies.  It is overcast and about 23C today and has been all week.  Its also the middle of SUMMER but clearly someone has lost that memo right now.
It is definitely sunny more than not though, and hot more than not in summer.  I gets cold in winter like anywhere else but I guess that's relative to where you're from to start with.

if you wantnice, sunny and warm weather year round, go to Queensland.  The farther north you go the warmer it is, but too far and you'll hit the tropics and gain a wet season.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:13 PM »
I'm from the U.S. and still live here. I just watched a few travel videos to see what places I'd like to visit. They stated that Sydney has nice, sunny and warm weather year-round. I was already very tempted to move there.

Lies.  It is overcast and about 23C today and has been all week.  Its also the middle of SUMMER but clearly someone has lost that memo right now.
It is definitely sunny more than not though, and hot more than not in summer.  I gets cold in winter like anywhere else but I guess that's relative to where you're from to start with.

if you wantnice, sunny and warm weather year round, go to Queensland.  The farther north you go the warmer it is, but too far and you'll hit the tropics and gain a wet season.

I live in Qld and I loathe the weather. It's too hot in summer and too cold in winter. Give me overcast and 23C any day. The temps and humidity lately have been beyond ridiculous. Thank god for air conditioning.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
If they offer to approve my vacation time when I had in my resignation, I will decline.  This is no longer a good employment option for me.

I think that's wise- I can easily see UnprofessionalBoss doing her level best to punish you for having the temerity to stand up for yourself.

I agree, I think this is a good idea.  Your boss is unprofessional enough that if you were to come back to work after your holiday, she'd probaby go out of her way to make your life harder.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
Today's the day! Hope things go smoothly!

Psychopoesie

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:12 AM »

Hope all goes well. Keeping fingers crossed.

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2014, 01:32:35 AM »

I'm in Darwin and loving the wet season. it is about 26C and raining right now. Beautiful. The mold is pretty special though.

Cheering for you OP!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2014, 02:58:43 AM »

Hope all goes well. Keeping fingers crossed.
ten fingers and ten toes crossed here!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »
Several of us just got called into Temper-Tantrum-Boss's office and recite what vacation and sick time we'd taken since January 1st.  She also wanted to know how much PTO we'd rolled over from last year.  I must have had a question mark on my face because she told everyone,

"It's easier to call you in here and ask you than look it up myself."

Now I've only had the half-day to go get my vaccines but another woman has been out multiple days with a sick (had to have surgery) child.  It seemed awkward listening to people recite how many days they'd taken in front of the group.  I don't care if Suzie Q. Coworker takes fifteen sick days a month.  Their absences have no effect on me. 

Is that weird?  Or am I a little sensitive?

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2014, 09:52:11 AM »
It's weird.