Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 31084 times)

YummyMummy66

Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Changes Her Mind 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 08:17:04 AM »
I would go in as other's suggested and explain the situation.  You asked about this time off well in advance.  There was a meeting where such and such was stated.  You booked your arrangements upon this information.   

At this time, you cannot change your travel arrangements due to financially losing funds. 

Will the time off be approved or will this count against you? 

As others stated, be prepared to hand in your resgination.  But, I would also be prepared to leave at the end of that day or after talking with said boss.   If this boss is as you describe, I can only imagine what will happen when you do give notice.

And honestly, if this company is like that, if the job market was good, I would probably not say a word, but the Friday before my vacay, pack up my desk at quitting time and let my resignation letter on my boss' desk.  That is what I would do in my head, not so much in real life. 

Steve

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 08:46:04 AM »
If your boss has stated the descision came from her boss, go talk to him and not to her. You are your own best advocate, I would not want this woman speaking on my behalf.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2014, 09:27:48 AM »
What kind of boss waits several weeks to respond to vacation requests? And hits employees?  :o  Her butt would be in jail and I'd be suing the company, especially considering she's done it before and she's still employed.

I agree with the others. Take your vacation regardless of what she says. If she is unwilling to change her mind about it, then quit, since you apparently are able to do so.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

MissRose

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 10:49:37 AM »
I am glad my work place gives us our allocations at the beginning of the new year for sick and vacation/holidays.  We are allowed before a new schedules starts if you know you need a day off or so, to request it.  I know not all places are good with granting time off for people or backing out on a promised request.

I've never had issues requesting time off for vacation especially for travel internationally or a concert I wish to attend as it is well known with the boss that I do travel some for pleasure.  He has said if the schedule people give me a hard time, to say something and he has the power to override them. 

Figgie

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
My spouse's job makes vacation planning difficult.  He will get the time approved and then a crisis project happens and I end up having to cancel it and try to reschedule. 

Which is one of the reasons we always purchase trip cancellation insurance (in a travel insurance package).  We've had to use it time and time again and it has made it possible for us to plan trips, knowing that if it has to be canceled for work, it won't cost us very much.

Hope you can get things straightened out and go on your trip!

veronaz

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
What kind of boss waits several weeks to respond to vacation requests? And hits employees?  :o  Her butt would be in jail and I'd be suing the company, especially considering she's done it before and she's still employed.

[snip]

Word.

A relative’s (former) boss was fired for physically trying to block relative from walking out of her office.  But hitting an employee or anyone at the workplace is not only cause for immediate termination, but also assault (prosecution).

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 12:47:02 PM »
In addition to the temper-tantrum story - the victim was boss's subordinate and remains her subordinate for more than two months after the incident!

Back on-topic:

I went and spoke with Professional Boss (my boss's boss) today about a work-related matter.  At the end of our conversation, he asked me where I was going on my trip.  I was surprised, as I assumed he'd been the one to deny my request.  I informed him: small tropical island in the Indian Ocean.  He told me "Oh I'm jealous!  Have fun!"  I thought about it for awhile at my desk but couldn't make the two stories match up.

So a few minutes ago I sent Professional Boss an instant message asking about the seeming discrepancy.  He then called Temper-Tantrum Boss (she never closes her door and her voice carries) and I could hear them discussing it.  Then he sent me a quick message:  "I was unable to approve your time off."

I asked him what he would like me to do but never heard another word.

Next I get to write my very first letter of resignation!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:00:49 AM by OSUJillyBean »

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »

Dear Bosses,

I quit. You two need couple's counseling.

Peace out,

JillyBean

Jones

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
I love Glitter's letter. Have fun on your trip!

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »

Dear Bosses,

I quit. You two need couple's counseling.

Peace out,

JillyBean
Word.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2014, 01:41:34 PM »
Friday the 24th will be two weeks before my vacation start so I suppose I'll give my notice then.  And I get two "floating holidays" and my husband thinks I should use them my last two days with this company.  Thoughts?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
Wow. Truly amazing. And QUITE unprofessional. Sounds like the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing, OR your boss has some reason she told HER boss, as to why you shouldn't be allowed to go.

In any event, I'm glad you're able to leave, and take your trip!

And am very glad my company a. gives you all your PTO up front, as of Jan 1, including the extra week you get when you reach certain years of service, and b. are pretty laid-back about things like that.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
Friday the 24th will be two weeks before my vacation start so I suppose I'll give my notice then.  And I get two "floating holidays" and my husband thinks I should use them my last two days with this company.  Thoughts?

Just be prepared for the possibility that when they receive your letter of resignation, they may ask you to leave that day. It would not make them look good to have to around for two weeks explaining to everyone why you resigned.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2014, 01:43:58 PM »

Unless you need them as a reference, or burning bridges isn't an issue, if it were me, I'd resign, and let them know my last day is Wed, of x week, adn thu and friday will be floaters.  But that's just me.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »
Alternately you say:   "Since I requested time off and did not hear from you for 5 weeks that my request was denied, I booked the travel.   So if you need me to work, then I will need my travel expenses reimbursed as you did not get back to me in a timely fashion."

Then perhaps tell one of your best buds at work that your DH is fine with you quitting to go on this trip so you are seriously thinking of that as an option and maybe that will get back to boss and they can change their mind without a loss of face.  And if they don't care if you stay there, then it really is time to go.