Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 32079 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Changes Her Mind 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2014, 05:22:11 PM »
Oh, dear! If this isn't a proper case of bullying I don't know what is. Sounds like Crazy Boss is all about the power.

With any bully if you stand up to them, they usually crumble. If not, you're better off out of it anyway. Good luck!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:20:44 PM by Bethalize »

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2014, 09:22:06 PM »
Is Crazy Boss blackmailing Professional Boss? Otherwise I can't understand how CB is still employed there after hitting someone--and was able to make PB do a 180 on approving the vacation.

Exactly. I'm amazed that the "underling" who was assaulted never pressed charges. I'm even more amazed that there were no repercussions whatsoever (from the company) for Crazy Boss.

lowspark

« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
I, too, am shocked by the fact that anyone could get away with physically striking a person in the workplace!

But mainly I'm posting for updates. I hope you'll come back and tell us what happens when you hand in your notice.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:38 PM »
I was once temping in a small office, I was only to be there for about 8 weeks to cover someone on maternity leave, and one day these two employees are arguing over something. They'd never gotten along. Anyways one employee hauls off and slugs the other one.

The employee who sat closest to me said right away "Glitter, call the police, Other Co-worker, get the first aid kit", the boss wasn't in yet (running late of all days) but when he got in the cops were already there arresting the the slugger, who was fired immediately. I remember him howling about "First I get arrested and now I'm fired! This is the worst day!!", well don't go around punching people!

So, I can't fathom how a boss can assault someone and keep her job. If I'd been there I would've been on the phone to the police. Because someone has apparently lost what little sense they were given.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
I agree. There are definitely some weird things going on if that boss is still employed there. And it's best to get out of that environment completely.

Sara Crewe (previously Tia2)

« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2014, 03:18:51 PM »

With any bully if you stand up to them, they usually crumble. If not, you're better off anyway. Good luck!

I don't necessarily agree with this.  Teachers have been telling kids this for years as a cop out for not doing anything to help the victim but I'd be interested to see any studies one way or the other.

In my experience (workplace bully) standing up to her got you seen as a threat (rather than intermittent bullying as a form of entertainment) and she'd viciously target that person until they quit.

I'd just ended up her latest victim (about 3 months in) when she had a series of family disasters and first went off on long term leave and then just never came back.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »

With any bully if you stand up to them, they usually crumble. If not, you're better off anyway. Good luck!

I don't necessarily agree with this.  Teachers have been telling kids this for years as a cop out for not doing anything to help the victim but I'd be interested to see any studies one way or the other.

In my experience (workplace bully) standing up to her got you seen as a threat (rather than intermittent bullying as a form of entertainment) and she'd viciously target that person until they quit.

What thought I had written was "or you're better off out of it". I've updated my original post. Thank you for picking that up.

Identify your bully type from www.bullyonline.org. Good advice on handling them. Sometimes the only way to survive is to get out.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
No major updates to report today: Tempter-Tantrum-Boss is out sick but Professional-Boss is here.

I did get approval from PB to take a half-day tomorrow using one of my precious "floating holidays" so I can go to a Doctor's Appt.  What he doesn't know is that appointment is with the health department to get my vaccines so I can travel through Africa for our vacation.  (9 hours in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia). ;D

(Maybe I should feel guilty for the deception?  I don't really, but maybe I should?)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 06:21:36 PM by OSUJillyBean »

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
No major updates to report today: Tempter-Tantrum-Boss is out sick but Professional-Boss is here.

I did get approval from PB to take a half-day tomorrow using one of my precious "floating holidays" so I can go to a Doctor's Appt.  What he doesn't know is that appointment is with the health department to get my vaccines so I can travel through Africa for our vacation.   ;D

(Maybe I should feel guilty for the deception?  I don't really, but maybe I should?)

Your going for a medical need so you didn't even stretch the truth. Glad you aren't letting them take this opportunity away from you. I'm really angry on your behalf.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

I did get approval from PB to take a half-day tomorrow using one of my precious "floating holidays" so I can go to a Doctor's Appt.  What he doesn't know is that appointment is with the health department to get my vaccines so I can travel through Africa for our vacation.  (9 hours in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia). ;D

On the contrary. You should pat yourself on the back for your wisdom.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2014, 08:33:41 PM »
No guilt vibes here! ;)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

MrTango

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

Don't feel guilty.  You told them that it was for a doctor's appointment, which is completely true.  Any detail beyond that is none of their business.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
Why do you have to take your own personal time for medical appointments or the flu?

Arila

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2014, 11:47:12 AM »
Why do you have to take your own personal time for medical appointments or the flu?
Some companies give all paid time off (PTO) in one pool. Other companies have different pools for vacation, "floating" holidays and paid absence. I've had both experiences.

I'll actually start with the second. Vacation is set by the employee, and scheduled/approved well in advance. "Floating" holidays are sometimes designated by the department, sometimes given to employees to schedule like vacation. (Ex. Engineering schedules floating holidays for 4th of July, Thanksgiving, and the last week of December. Manufacturing is an every day sort of thing and they can't have everyone gone for whole weeks at a time, especially when the end of the year is crunch-time, so Manufacturing lets employees set floating holidays like vacation. Everyone gets equal scheduled time off. Paid absence is what you use for dr appointments, sick time, etc. It is in "theory" unlimited. However, there are policies like if you miss more than 5 days or whatever, you need a medical note, and if you rack up a certain amount, they will look into it a little more closely.

Some companies say, "Look, if we are actually going to try to limit the paid absence thing, why not just say so? And why make them categorize their absence? Either they are here working, or they aren't here and aren't working." These companies offer PTO which is all types of time off. This has its advantages, because if you schedule your appointments outside of working hours, or use flexible timing to take a long lunch and then stay late, you can actually schedule those hours to extend your vacation by quite a bit.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2014, 01:07:24 PM »
I was going to say that we're required to use PTO and floating holidays for medical visits because this is America, and our benefits are way below many other first-world countries.   ;)