Author Topic: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*  (Read 31648 times)

deadbody

Re: Boss Grants Time Off, Then Denies 3 Weeks before Int'l Travel *UPDATE*
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
^^ So the bottom line is that TTBoss continues to hit employees, no one presses assault charges, and she continues to keep her job.  What a zoo.   ::)

To be fair it sounds like the hitting was a one time thing.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to press assault charges in that situation either.

veronaz

« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2014, 03:46:44 PM »
^^ So the bottom line is that TTBoss continues to hit employees, no one presses assault charges, and she continues to keep her job.  What a zoo.   ::)

No.

1) (As stated earlier in the thread - reply #4 dated January 13) this TTBoss has a history of hitting employees.  And even if she didn't, since when is hitting someone on the job "only" once okay? ??? ???

2) So the employees who are assaulted pave the way for this whackjob to continue hitting people.  That's fair?  No.

Workplace violence is a very serious issue.  There should be zero tolerance.  I think the excuse about not taking action because of health insurance is lame.  However, looks like health insurance will be needed in a place where boss is allowed to assault employees.  Also maybe life insurance.  The situation is insane.

Question for OP - I thought you were going to give your resignation notice.  Did you?  When is your last day?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:56:37 PM by veronaz »

cheyne

« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2014, 03:53:13 PM »
The saddest part of the story is that the assaulted employee didn't do anything about being assaulted because she was afraid to lose her job.

The most outrageous part of the story is that professional boss didn't suspend TT Boss immediately, then fire her after statements were taken.  Even in my industry, hitting anyone is a fireable offense once witness statements are taken and signed-out the door they'd go.

Joeschmo

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

No.

1) (As stated earlier in the thread - reply #4 dated January 13) this TTBoss has a history of hitting employees.  And even if she didn't, since when is hitting someone on the job "only" once okay? ??? ???

2) So the employees who are assaulted pave the way for this whackjob to continue hitting people.  That's fair?  No.

Workplace violence is a very serious issue.  There should be zero tolerance.  I think the excuse about not taking action because of health insurance is lame.  However, looks like health insurance will be needed in a place where boss is allowed to assault employees.  Also maybe life insurance.  The situation is insane.

Question for OP - I thought you were going to give your resignation notice.  Did you?  When is your last day?
post 145 is the update

veronaz

« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
Thanks.
Okay, so you have another week, OP?

ETA:  This is after the fact, I know.........but I wouldn't have told her my plans for another job or my salary.  Not her business.  I would have kept it vague and said "It's time for a change."

« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 06:32:56 PM by veronaz »

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2014, 08:39:34 AM »

With the full story, I wouldn't have pressed charges either. Of course it's in no way, shape or form acceptable, but it's not something I would have gone to the police with either. Perhaps the HR - that would depend on what kind of apology TTBoss gave coworker.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

deadbody

« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »

With the full story, I wouldn't have pressed charges either. Of course it's in no way, shape or form acceptable, but it's not something I would have gone to the police with either. Perhaps the HR - that would depend on what kind of apology TTBoss gave coworker.

This exactly.  It would also greatly depend on what level TTBoss is in the company and how big the company is.  I've had someone who was technically subordinate to me pull some stunts including physical attacks (once) that had I reported nothing would have been done because it was a small company and this person was the son of the owner.

Would I have reported it to HR in the company I am in now (very large with very specific rules) yeah, and if their response was to have the person apologize to me and it was a one time thing I doubt it would go father than that.  Because I am in the same boat at the co-worker, I carry our health insurance, Mrs. Deadbody is self-employed and we can't afford other insurance.  Is this a bad option? Yeah, would it feel like the cowards way out at times? Yeah, does that make it wrong? No.  Coworker made a choice that she felt was best for her, from the position she was in I think it was.  Being the whistleblower is great, being willing to stand for your beliefs is awesome, but risking losing your job and putting your family on the street to do it is stupid.

LadyL

« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2014, 09:28:43 AM »
Unfortunately a lot of companies write off aggression that doesn't result in injury as people "blowing off steam." LordL supervises an employee who, when he got frustrated, would do things like punch his desk or kick a door. LordL thought he should get fired for it because it was making people feel uncomfortable and threatened but his company is very male dominated where being angry, yelling, even throwing stuff is considered bad but not fireable. Not shockingly they are being sued by a former employee for hostile work environment.