General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Reference Etiquette

<< < (3/3)

Ceallach:
Seeing as they all know the business is closing down, it actually makes it really, really easy.     Usually a big part of the etiquette dilemma is how to explain that you are looking for a new job and why, and ask them to be a referee when obviously they don't want you to leave (or if they DO want you to leave then they're probably not the right person to be vouching for you as a referee!)   but here it's easy.   

Pick a time where they're not too busy with work and it won't be a huge interruption, then just ask:

"Obviously I'm going to need to get a new job in Xmonth, would you be happy to be a referee for me for future employers? I'd really appreciate it."    They will most likely say "Yeah of course!" to which he should just check which is the best contact details to list etc.   He should also ask if they'd like to be kept updated when he's interviewing for roles so they know about prospective calls.    (Personally I don't list referees on my CV, I provide them after interview on request.  This gives me time to call my referees, tell them what role I'm interviewing for, and ensure they will be available to take the call.  But that's a personal preference.   I know companies who will call referees up front prior to interview and without telling a candidate, and I don't want to waste my referees time like that by having to take lots of calls from jobs I won't necessarily get or take).

Mikayla:

--- Quote from: Diane AKA Traska on January 14, 2014, 02:23:09 PM ---May I assume that since M isn't looking yet, but will be some time after they're no longer working together, a rewording of "A, when I fill out applications for my next job, would it be OK if I listed you as a reference?" would be fine?

--- End quote ---

Yes, it's fine. 

The thing is, with one slightly bizarre exception, every time I have asked this question, or had it asked of me, the answer is pretty much known already.  If M has a good working relationship with these folks, they'll want to do it for her, and part of that is they may need M at some point for character or co-worker references. 

The supervisor is a little trickier, but that's only because his/her name will be in an application regardless of anything else.  But people usually know when there might be an issue with this, and it doesn't sounds applicable here.

betty:
Just wanted to add that M should join LinkedIn (if not already on it) and connect with the soon-to-be former coworkers and supervisor. It's a good way to keep in touch with professional and work-related contacts. And a good way to find current contact information if M is looking for a different job in a year or two and wants to ask these same people to be references again.

aussie_chick:
I think definitely ask face to face. Especially if you have a good relationship with the person you're asking. Something as basic as "hey supervisor, i'm applying for x position and I was hoping I could put you down as a referee. Would that be ok?"
Also i'd provide them with info about the job so they know what you're applying for.
Is your DH asking them to be a referee for one position or as many as it takes to get a job? If the latter, I would ask to keep in touch so supervisor knows when to expect contact and what the positions are your DH is applying for

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version